The Last Third of Life

So...it occurs to me that I'm probably in my last third of life and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it much. I mean what is there to look forward to anyway? Downsizing, streamlining, simplifying, planning for death, thinking about where you want to be buried...or maybe cremated, getting ill and possibly losing mobility, etc. Basically, it sucks!

The childhood years...oh those were fun! Growing, learning, goofing off, etc! The world was our oyster...just waiting to reveal it's pearl to us! Young adult...yeah, those were good too! Healthy, young, vibrant, looking forward to placing a mark on the world, etc. The kids came along, the house and furnishings, yeah it was all about growth! Even the middle years still had something to reach for...financial stability, vacations, getting the kids through college, etc. But now...with the final third...what is there that's tangible to reach for?

For years and years we boomers led the pack! Where we went and what we did affected the entire economy! It seems as if we're being phased out just as easily as the generations before us were. Our multitudes have become meaningless in our direction, impact and social reformation. It's all about the millenials now while the boomers are pushed aside in the workplace, sometimes being forced into an early retirement in lieu of a cheaper workforce chomping at the bit.

Anything boomer related these days speaks of downer stuff...aging, health issues, retirement (read "fixed income"), etc. No growth, a lack of money and resources, downsizing and death. Oh joy!!! Don't ya just feel the energy rising when thinking about that last third of life? NOT!!!
Hell, I am late in the 4th quarter, have a slim lead, and am just playing for fun.

Best time of my life, no real responsibilities, no bills, few hassles, life is great.

I could go on like this forever, but, WTF, everybody has to go sometimes.

I already survived all the best people I ever knew.

Sounds like you better get an attitude adjustment or you are in for some shitty years.

So...it occurs to me that I'm probably in my last third of life and frankly, I'm not looking forward to it much. I mean what is there to look forward to anyway? Downsizing, streamlining, simplifying, planning for death, thinking about where you want to be buried...or maybe cremated, getting ill and possibly losing mobility, etc. Basically, it sucks!

The childhood years...oh those were fun! Growing, learning, goofing off, etc! The world was our oyster...just waiting to reveal it's pearl to us! Young adult...yeah, those were good too! Healthy, young, vibrant, looking forward to placing a mark on the world, etc. The kids came along, the house and furnishings, yeah it was all about growth! Even the middle years still had something to reach for...financial stability, vacations, getting the kids through college, etc. But now...with the final third...what is there that's tangible to reach for?

For years and years we boomers led the pack! Where we went and what we did affected the entire economy! It seems as if we're being phased out just as easily as the generations before us were. Our multitudes have become meaningless in our direction, impact and social reformation. It's all about the millenials now while the boomers are pushed aside in the workplace, sometimes being forced into an early retirement in lieu of a cheaper workforce chomping at the bit.

Anything boomer related these days speaks of downer stuff...aging, health issues, retirement (read "fixed income"), etc. No growth, a lack of money and resources, downsizing and death. Oh joy!!! Don't ya just feel the energy rising when thinking about that last third of life? NOT!!!
Hell, I am late in the 4th quarter, have a slim lead, and am just playing for fun.

Best time of my life, no real responsibilities, no bills, few hassles, life is great.

Sounds like you better get an attitude adjustment or you are in for some shitty years.

So...you recommend conformity? So unlike the Boomers of yesteryear where it was in vogue to buck conformity and change the world instead!

Well said.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

I plan on living to at least 93, so I am still in the middle third of my life, thank you very much.

In November, when I do enter the last third of my life, I plan on continuing to run my business. I imagine I will still be doing so in some capacity for at least a decade or two more. The thought of retirement does not settle with me at all well.

• Thanks
Reactions: jan
Mad Martian Pain: Mind-Space

Imagine that a Martian lands on Earth and makes contact with human civilization and tells our leaders that he/she/it is actually 2000 years old. His lifespan is actually 3000, so technically, he is in his last third of life. How would we humans approach our last third in our hypothetical imaginary conversation with this alien, given that the average human lifespan is 75-85 years?

It's ALL relatives.

:afro:

Little Shop of Horrors

poison-ivy.jpg

Last edited:

You made some good points. Old age aint for sissies. It might be like Legs Diamond used to say, "Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse."

Oh, you have it wrong.

These sixties are better than THOSE sixties.

I love life in the 4th quarters, slim lead, clock at half past giving a fuck, and running.

WTF can they do to you?

Too old to jail and care for!!!

Lovin' it.

I'm in the last third and without a doubt it's been the best time of my life.

I enjoy good health, have plenty of money, practically no obligations, and best of all, NO WORK.

I get up in the morning at whatever time and whatever happens that day happens.

Forum List

Back