The Kentucky Derby-order porducing chaos.

d
The Derby stewards made the right call

Maximum Security was the best horse in the race. But he swerved right to impede a horse that was moving up on his right

We do not know if that horse could have won the race or would have finished in the money. But pulling up ended his chances

The easy call would be to ignore the infraction

Yup The Stewards were 100% correct in their ruling.

Maximum Security veered into the lane next to him and almost cause a spill with two or more other horses. They came close to clipping heels with MS. If they had gone down both horses and rider would have been injured.

It was easy to see on the tapes. Anyone who follows horse racing, like I do, could see it. The Stewards made the correct call.

In 1968 Dancers Image was also disqualified from his Kentucky Derby win though it was after the race. He teste positive for a prohibited drug.

Maximum Security is the first horse DQed right after the race. He was the better horse but that doesn't negate the fact he almost cause a spill.

He won't be going to the Preakness. Unknown if Country House the winner will be.

It’s the result of a 20 horse field when 8 is about the norm. The worst aspect is that it’s theoretical that the one horse was impeded, the 20 who was put up was not interfered with but rather was just 2nd. Perhaps looking into only the 20 being interfered with is the solution because otherwise it’s horse racing in an exceptionally crowded field.

It’s the result of a 20 horse field when 8 is about the norm. The worst aspect is that it’s theoretical that the one horse was impeded, the 20 who was put up was not interfered with but rather was just 2nd. Perhaps looking into only the 20 being interfered with is the solution because otherwise it’s horse racing in an exceptionally crowded field.

The Kentucky Derby always has at least 20 horses running. Hell even if the trainer knows the horse has no chance its the prestige of having run in the Derby.

d

Maximum Security was the best horse in the race. But he swerved right to impede a horse that was moving up on his right

We do not know if that horse could have won the race or would have finished in the money. But pulling up ended his chances

Maximum Security veered into the lane next to him and almost cause a spill with two or more other horses. They came close to clipping heels with MS. If they had gone down both horses and rider would have been injured.

It was easy to see on the tapes. Anyone who follows horse racing, like I do, could see it. The Stewards made the correct call.

In 1968 Dancers Image was also disqualified from his Kentucky Derby win though it was after the race. He teste positive for a prohibited drug.

Maximum Security is the first horse DQed right after the race. He was the better horse but that doesn't negate the fact he almost cause a spill.

He won't be going to the Preakness. Unknown if Country House the winner will be.
Neither will run in the Preakness

If you’re scratching your head over the results of the 2019 Kentucky Derby you’re not alone. Ostensibly the horse that won somehow cheated, affecting the outcome of the race. Even if a reasonable observer watches video of the supposed incident, it’s difficult, if not impossible, to see anything other than a horserace.

If the race had taken place in 1875-2018, Maximum Security would have been in the winner’s circle. But as officiating, armed with technology that outstrips its common sense aggrandizes itself by acquiescing to the sour grapes of the losers, the race will live in infamy as a glaring example, not of horse cheating, but human politics and imperfection.

Listening to Red Sox commentators the other day was interesting. They were discussing an umpire’s decision to call a strike on a batter that initiated, but did not complete a swing at a pitch. Apparently there is no plane the bat must pass over the plate; the umpire decides if the batter “intended” to swing.

All who have ever played or viewed baseball know that anyone standing in the batter’s box with a piece of wood “intends” to swing at the ball-it’s the point of the game. So the umpire is granted some kind of clairvoyant power to conclude what is in the batter’s mind? This is officiating taking its place not as a peripheral aspect of sport, but front and center as judge, jury and executioner-and they have surveillance cameras manned by more officials in bat caves watching everything so an outcome produced by microns will be “fair”.

American football is losing viewership at record rates in large part because rules are barging onto the field converting pass receivers into ballet dancers and quarterbacks into players with handicap parking stickers on their helmets. The game is all but ruined but officiating is propagating individual superstars. Didn’t we all like sporting events that were overseen by human perceptions better? Is it an improvement when losers can use spy cameras to alter the outcome?

Those who lost their shirts on the Kentucky Derby had an unfortunate place in line as the arrow of time leads us into a new paradigm of controlled surveillance that steals serendipity and delivers the final word. Horses don’t split hairs and second guess other runners but human officials do.

This is the kind of loser’s order that produces chaos; Look at the last presidential election.
I always relished sports as the last politics-free bastion of entertainment. Recently, horse events were all that was left. Now, meh...why even bother wasting time watching any sports at all. I always have plenty of things to do.

When you allow 20 horses to race together the only shocker is this doesn’t happen every time. Pathetic they don’t hold it to the best 12 horses.
Too bad someone doesn't jump on your back and ride you through the mud.
Obviously you have no clue about horses.
Like folks who bitch about dog sled racing. If you see those dogs before a race, holy cow! They are so excited and love their sport.

When you allow 20 horses to race together the only shocker is this doesn’t happen every time. Pathetic they don’t hold it to the best 12 horses.
Like folks who bitch about dog sled racing. If you see those dogs before a race, holy cow! They are so excited and love their sport.
Exactly it. Or a Golden Retriever retrieving, Aussie sheepdog with a herd of sheep. My horses always went crazy when other horses went out and they didn’t go.

Changing lanes (yes, they are clearly marked, even in the mud) endangers the horses and the riders. That is why the rule exists. The fact that the other jockey checked up is what prevented a fall.

If you have ever seen horses get tangled up and fall, you wouldn't think it trivial.

This is not NASCAR where "rubbing is racing".

Looks like the lead horse just collapsed on his own

It does look like he went down on his own, and all the others tripped over him or subsequent animals that fell.

d

If neither runs the Preakness that's it for the Triple Crown this year.

Exactly it. Or a Golden Retriever retrieving, Aussie sheepdog with a herd of sheep. My horses always went crazy when other horses went out and they didn’t go.
I worked with a guide in NM a couple of years hunting lions with hounds. Every morning when we went out to pick the pack for the day, all those dogs went batshit, even those who had been out the previous day. A day of lion hunting is grueling for dogs, stock, and riders, I assure you. But that didn't stop any of those hounds raising hell, even those with strawberries.

d

No he won't because he developed a cough or so his trainer and owners say.

To bad. Though he's not as good as Maximum Security he was coming like a house a fire and ran out of room.

He's a better horse than his placings show.

To bad.

I am no horse racing expert, but why to the call a DQ now? When you have to think horses have bumped, and boxed out before in the 145 years the race has run. Maybe Trump was right. Maybe Political Correctness is invading every area of society and degrading it.

When requiring that contestants follow the rule is considered "Political Correctness", something is wrong.

The rule calls for the disqualification: "if a leading horse or any other horse in a race swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with, intimidate, or impede any other horse or jockey."

So in 144 years prior, horses never bumped each other during the race? Did you actually watch the race? Have you seen any previously?

I have seen numerous horse races.

As for it not happening in 144 years, I have no idea. I also don't see what that has to do with what happened last Saturday. The jockey blatantly violated the rule, risking serious injury to all concerned.

I do know that the technology to review the race hasn't been around for 144 years.

It may not have been deliberate by the jockey. He might have accidentally checked MS causing him to switch leads early. MS may also have seen the water and decided he didn't want to run through it and switched leads himself to move around it to the outside. In any event, when he switched leads he moved outside and created the foul.

I am no horse racing expert, but why to the call a DQ now? When you have to think horses have bumped, and boxed out before in the 145 years the race has run. Maybe Trump was right. Maybe Political Correctness is invading every area of society and degrading it.

When requiring that contestants follow the rule is considered "Political Correctness", something is wrong.

The rule calls for the disqualification: "if a leading horse or any other horse in a race swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with, intimidate, or impede any other horse or jockey."

So in 144 years prior, horses never bumped each other during the race? Did you actually watch the race? Have you seen any previously?

As for it not happening in 144 years, I have no idea. I also don't see what that has to do with what happened last Saturday. The jockey blatantly violated the rule, risking serious injury to all concerned.

I do know that the technology to review the race hasn't been around for 144 years.

It may not have been deliberate by the jockey. He might have accidentally checked MS causing him to switch leads early. MS may also have seen the water and decided he didn't want to run through it and switched leads himself to move around it to the outside. In any event, when he switched leads he moved outside and created the foul.

The jockey said when they turned the corner the noise of the crowd spooked his horse.

Don't forget. These horses are three year old's. Just babies.

He immediately got him back in his lane but it was to late.

d

If neither runs the Preakness that's it for the Triple Crown this year.
I don’t think Country House was much of a threat for Triple Crown but not much to watch the Preakness

The jockey said when they turned the corner the noise of the crowd spooked his horse.

The other 20 horses were also three year old babies.
They kept their lane

The jockey made an excuse for not controlling his horse

That's possible but unlikely. Most horses are trained to prevent that using air horns and fire extinguishers. They have been "shocked" before.

I don't think the jockey intentionally did it. There was absolutely no reason to. He had the preferred position. Most likely it was either an accidental check or MS didn't like that water puddle ahead of him. To move outside, he had to switch from a left to a right front hoof lead, which he did. To corner, he had to be on a left hoof lead. Watch the tape, you can see the switch.

The other 20 horses were also three year old babies.
They kept their lane

The jockey made an excuse for not controlling his horse

All it takes is one. Three year old horses are still babies and they act like babies.

You ever been on a horse??

Horses weigh around a thousand pounds.

If one decides to veer there isn't much you can do to stop it.

I've had horses since I was eighteen. I've had horses rear up, buck, go over backwards with me so when I tell you they can do some damned dangerous stuff I'm dead serious.

Three year old's are still babies and still learning. Plus you are talking about thoroughbreds. High strung horses.

That's possible but unlikely. Most horses are trained to prevent that using air horns and fire extinguishers. They have been "shocked" before.

I don't think the jockey intentionally did it. There was absolutely no reason to. He had the preferred position. Most likely it was either an accidental check or MS didn't like that water puddle ahead of him. To move outside, he had to switch from a left to a right front hoof lead, which he did. To corner, he had to be on a left hoof lead. Watch the tape, you can see the switch.

Its nothing like being in a race with the noise of 150 thousand people all cheering and yelling.

Thoroughbred's are high strung horses to begin with.

The Jockey didn't know the noise would spook his horse but he got him back as quickly as he could.

A lead change wouldn't have caused the veer. A horse can veer on any lead. I've shown horses for years and know the difference between the left lead and the right lead and when the horse should be on either lead.

Cry me a fucking river. The Saints should have been in the superbowl in Feb but the refs wanted the Rams.

Forum List

Back