The Kentucky Derby-order porducing chaos.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
If you’re scratching your head over the results of the 2019 Kentucky Derby you’re not alone. Ostensibly the horse that won somehow cheated, affecting the outcome of the race. Even if a reasonable observer watches video of the supposed incident, it’s difficult, if not impossible, to see anything other than a horserace.

If the race had taken place in 1875-2018, Maximum Security would have been in the winner’s circle. But as officiating, armed with technology that outstrips its common sense aggrandizes itself by acquiescing to the sour grapes of the losers, the race will live in infamy as a glaring example, not of horse cheating, but human politics and imperfection.

Listening to Red Sox commentators the other day was interesting. They were discussing an umpire’s decision to call a strike on a batter that initiated, but did not complete a swing at a pitch. Apparently there is no plane the bat must pass over the plate; the umpire decides if the batter “intended” to swing.

All who have ever played or viewed baseball know that anyone standing in the batter’s box with a piece of wood “intends” to swing at the ball-it’s the point of the game. So the umpire is granted some kind of clairvoyant power to conclude what is in the batter’s mind? This is officiating taking its place not as a peripheral aspect of sport, but front and center as judge, jury and executioner-and they have surveillance cameras manned by more officials in bat caves watching everything so an outcome produced by microns will be “fair”.

American football is losing viewership at record rates in large part because rules are barging onto the field converting pass receivers into ballet dancers and quarterbacks into players with handicap parking stickers on their helmets. The game is all but ruined but officiating is propagating individual superstars. Didn’t we all like sporting events that were overseen by human perceptions better? Is it an improvement when losers can use spy cameras to alter the outcome?

Those who lost their shirts on the Kentucky Derby had an unfortunate place in line as the arrow of time leads us into a new paradigm of controlled surveillance that steals serendipity and delivers the final word. Horses don’t split hairs and second guess other runners but human officials do.

This is the kind of loser’s order that produces chaos; Look at the last presidential election.

The Derby stewards made the right call

Maximum Security was the best horse in the race. But he swerved right to impede a horse that was moving up on his right

We do not know if that horse could have won the race or would have finished in the money. But pulling up ended his chances

The easy call would be to ignore the infraction

Except that horse didn’t raise the challenge. It may be “fair” but that action damaged the sport. I watched that replay many times and to me it was so slight that I would have let the results stand. Idiot decision especially since the field was wet.

Except that horse didn’t raise the challenge. It may be “fair” but that action damaged the sport. I watched that replay many times and to me it was so slight that I would have let the results stand. Idiot decision especially since the field was wet.
Tough decision but it followed the rules

When you allow 20 horses to race together the only shocker is this doesn’t happen every time. Pathetic they don’t hold it to the best 12 horses.
Too bad someone doesn't jump on your back and ride you through the mud.

One of the reasons I enjoy watching soccer is because they have stringently resisted having video replay in many leagues. Constant stoppages, confusing outcomes, etc… I would be for getting rid of all replays in all sports, everywhere.

That being said, MaxSec did obstruct the horses. I didn’t know it was a penalty until Saturday—I thought it was part of the horse race.

I am no horse racing expert, but why to the call a DQ now? When you have to think horses have bumped, and boxed out before in the 145 years the race has run. Maybe Trump was right. Maybe Political Correctness is invading every area of society and degrading it.

Ray, you write very well. I also agree with many of the points you make, particularly regarding NFL. I went from being a devoted fan to simply not caring in the span of a few years. The game is ruined.

Changing lanes (yes, they are clearly marked, even in the mud) endangers the horses and the riders. That is why the rule exists. The fact that the other jockey checked up is what prevented a fall.

If you have ever seen horses get tangled up and fall, you wouldn't think it trivial.

This is not NASCAR where "rubbing is racing".

I am no horse racing expert, but why to the call a DQ now? When you have to think horses have bumped, and boxed out before in the 145 years the race has run. Maybe Trump was right. Maybe Political Correctness is invading every area of society and degrading it.

When requiring that contestants follow the rule is considered "Political Correctness", something is wrong.

The rule calls for the disqualification: "if a leading horse or any other horse in a race swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with, intimidate, or impede any other horse or jockey."

When you allow 20 horses to race together the only shocker is this doesn’t happen every time. Pathetic they don’t hold it to the best 12 horses.
Too bad someone doesn't jump on your back and ride you through the mud.

I know it’s early but this is the most idiotic thing I’ve read on USMB today.

Should last til about lunch time.

The Derby stewards made the right call

Maximum Security was the best horse in the race. But he swerved right to impede a horse that was moving up on his right

We do not know if that horse could have won the race or would have finished in the money. But pulling up ended his chances

The easy call would be to ignore the infraction
If I recall the video correctly, the impeded horse on his right was then forced to impede another horse, which led to both those jocks filing complaints post race.

Stewards got it 100% right. Which was good for us having bet Country House.

When requiring that contestants follow the rule is considered "Political Correctness", something is wrong.

The rule calls for the disqualification: "if a leading horse or any other horse in a race swerves or is ridden to either side so as to interfere with, intimidate, or impede any other horse or jockey."

So in 144 years prior, horses never bumped each other during the race? Did you actually watch the race? Have you seen any previously?

It was a good DQ. MS went wide when he switched leads ( lead hoof placement ) early. Whether the horse or jockey caused it is debatable. In any event, MS drifted outside and blocked other horses, which is a foul. You can't change "lanes" if doing so impedes another horse or causes deliberate contact. MS did both.

From what I've read the wait for the official ruling lasted far longer than the duration of the actual horse race. Glad I didn't watch that mess. Yes, football has gotten the same way. With all the extensive commercial breaks then toss in official reviews and it has become a real sleepfest.

Changing lanes (yes, they are clearly marked, even in the mud) endangers the horses and the riders. That is why the rule exists. The fact that the other jockey checked up is what prevented a fall.

If you have ever seen horses get tangled up and fall, you wouldn't think it trivial.

This is not NASCAR where "rubbing is racing".

Looks like the lead horse just collapsed on his own

So in 144 years prior, horses never bumped each other during the race? Did you actually watch the race? Have you seen any previously?

I have seen numerous horse races.

As for it not happening in 144 years, I have no idea. I also don't see what that has to do with what happened last Saturday. The jockey blatantly violated the rule, risking serious injury to all concerned.

I do know that the technology to review the race hasn't been around for 144 years.

Forum List

Back