The job Americans won't take: Arizona looks to Philippines to fill teacher shortage

Discussion in 'Education' started by barryqwalsh, Sep 6, 2018.

1. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Still 35-40k a year with benefits and summer's off is really good money for a lot of Americans that they can only dream about making. Especially low wage college grads stuck in low paying jobs that pay minimum wage. That's how it was for me for 7 years while I was looking for teaching jobs, but despite all the interviews could not land a teaching job. I was living out of a broken down trailer with no heat or air conditioning. I finally gave up and went into trucking.

2. Windparadox

Windparadox Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    `
    Who the hell wants to teach in Arizona? Texas is next. All I know is that in Wisconsin, there is no shortage of teachers in the sciences. The problem with Wisconsin is Milwaukee and their public school system. It drags the entire state down.
    `
    `

3. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,007
    Those summers off are UNPAID! School districts would go bankrupt trying to pay teachers an hourly wage, so they don't!

You get paid for when you work and sometimes not even then! Parent- teacher conferences? Unpaid. Faculty meetings? Unpaid. Professional development? Unpaid.

If you think it is such a great deal, become a teacher and maybe you will find out what working a job where being out sick increases your workload so much you'd rather go to work and be miserable than stay home and get better.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  4. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +106
    Lol so that's still 30 to 40k in salary a teacher is getting that is the difference between a salary employee vs an hourly one. So what not getting paid over summer still getting 30 to 40k yr.

Many professions are salary that have a lot of unpaid time. A relative of mine only makes like 30k a yr as a manager and since he is salary he has a lot of time that is unpaid and he doesn't have the luxury of having summers off. Many tech support jobs are 30 to 40k yr salary not paid hourly and you are on call 24/7 and have to work way more than 40hrs a week more like 60hrs or more. No summers off. No teachers have it a lot easier than other professions.

I tried landing a teaching job for 7 yrs with my teaching license couldn't get out of low wage work so I became a truck driver. My home is my truck never home . I would be a teacher over this in a heartbeat, but can't land a teaching job so I have no other option if I want be in the 30 to 40k yr job. Teachers honestly don't know how much better they have it than a lot of people.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  5. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,007
    How many of those positions require a Master's degree like many teaching positions?

How many of those positions work 14 hours a day like many teachers do?

How about an apples to apples comparison? All you have are oranges that you don't seem familiar with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs FORGET ---- HELL Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,899
    Is there any truth that State Police Officers are being hired from the Russia area.

7. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,983
    I would think you are making considerably more than $40K as a trucker. So I am assuming what you are unhappy with is not the money but the time on the road (which I fully get) and that you really would rather be a teacher.

8. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,618
    And I do not see this getting any better.

The needs we see coming into our schools, especially in the younger grades, is astronomical. We are just beginning to understand what technology does to young brains. Add to that parents that can't pry themselves away from technology to parent and it's a toxic stew. It means you have kindergarten teachers attempting to parent 24 children at once while also trying to teach them to read.

No one can do this.

Who would want to? And while you're attempting to do this, society blames you because you CAN'T.

Everyone with half a brain is getting out.

9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,931

Sounds like a “you” problem.

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,931

And it never occurred to you that...?