The job Americans won't take: Arizona looks to Philippines to fill teacher shortage

Discussion in 'Education' started by barryqwalsh, Sep 6, 2018.

1. barryqwalsh

barryqwalsh Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Some American public schools are turning to foreign teachers because Americans with college educations are increasingly uninterested in low-paid, demanding teaching jobs. Many teachers, struggling for a toehold in the shrinking middle class, have switched careers. And fewer college students are choosing to become teachers. The need for mathematics, science, and special education teachers is especially dire in poor and rural schools throughout the country.

The job Americans won't take: Arizona looks to Philippines to fill teacher shortage

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,701
    /----/ As a kid in the 1950s I remember posters on the city bus begging students to become teachers. There was a national shortage. The advertising worked because by the early 1970s there was a surplus of teachers and many left the profession. Now the shortage has returned.
    [​IMG]

3. flewism

flewism Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Because public school systems don't pay enough to promote people to become teachers, more money in the private sector. If you want quality people to become teachers in the public school system, major pay raises are required.

Importing labor will do nothing but keep teachers wages low, just like in any other profession. The catch-22 of this America.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,701
    /----/ Long Island Public School teachers are perhaps the highest paid in the country, exceeding $100,000 a year but the property taxes that pay for it are a killer.

5. OldLady

OldLady Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,672
    People don't go into teaching to become rich. But when their salaries are so low that they can't even have a modestly decent home in a safe neighborhood to raise their family, I can see why people might go elsewhere.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  6. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    I smell bullshit.

I looked up average teacher salary in Arizona it is $48,000 a year. That is about the same it is in my state. A lot of people would cut off their right arm for that salary especially with summers off and great benefits. $48,000 low pay lol. Your college grad walmart worker or restaurant worker would be laughing off his head who is making not even half that salary ! I know a lot of low income workers and grads with Education degrees who would love that salary. If there is such a shortage there for teachers I will transfer my SPED license to there but I am skeptical of what is claimed is in reality the complete opposite. They say in my state they have all kinds of teacher shortages too in the newspaper when in fact they are oversaturated with qualified candidates. There are way more teaching degrees and licenses awarded then there are available teaching jobs. I have gone on like 30+ interviews over 7 years trying to land a teaching job, settling for low pay subbing and paraprofessional jobs instead. I finally switched to truck driving after 7 years of failure to land a teaching job, many of my classmates are in the same boat. I would go for teaching interviews there would be like 20+ people they were interviewing. All with teaching degrees and licenses. Many applicants had a leg up on me previous years of teaching experience, but got laid off or fired at last teaching job. So the teacher with 10+ yrs of experience gets hired over the guy with no teaching experience trying to get some.

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  7. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,126

Do you need a lesson on what the term "average" means? I would not have made that average until I had been teaching for about 15 years and I would not have made much more than that until I finally called it quits after 21 years.

As for your other misinformation, I was let go because I was eligible for tenure after 4 years in one district. My buddy who remained behind has told me they are on their third straight "one and done" teacher who they hired straight out of college, rather than pay me my salary of about $50,000 per year, because they can pay them less than $30,000 per year.

8. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,009

Just two questions do you still owe for school and how much?

9. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,009
    rather than pay me my salary of about $50,000 per year, because they can pay them less than $30,000 per year.

Thanks for that remark, that's one of the reasons why wages appear stagnet, it skews the overall stats ..

10. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,455
    I don't know where you looked up that salary average but I can tell you most public school teachers that I know in Arizona (at least Tucson) don't make 48K. I'd say 35-40K is more typical. Now school administrators especially in the big districts make WAY more than that some into 6 figures.