The job Americans won't take: Arizona looks to Philippines to fill teacher shortage

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Some American public schools are turning to foreign teachers because Americans with college educations are increasingly uninterested in low-paid, demanding teaching jobs. Many teachers, struggling for a toehold in the shrinking middle class, have switched careers. And fewer college students are choosing to become teachers. The need for mathematics, science, and special education teachers is especially dire in poor and rural schools throughout the country.

The job Americans won't take: Arizona looks to Philippines to fill teacher shortage

Some American public schools are turning to foreign teachers because Americans with college educations are increasingly uninterested in low-paid, demanding teaching jobs. Many teachers, struggling for a toehold in the shrinking middle class, have switched careers. And fewer college students are choosing to become teachers. The need for mathematics, science, and special education teachers is especially dire in poor and rural schools throughout the country.

/----/ As a kid in the 1950s I remember posters on the city bus begging students to become teachers. There was a national shortage. The advertising worked because by the early 1970s there was a surplus of teachers and many left the profession. Now the shortage has returned.
iu

Because public school systems don't pay enough to promote people to become teachers, more money in the private sector. If you want quality people to become teachers in the public school system, major pay raises are required.

Importing labor will do nothing but keep teachers wages low, just like in any other profession. The catch-22 of this America.

Because public school systems don't pay enough to promote people to become teachers, more money in the private sector. If you want quality people to become teachers in the public school system, major pay raises are required.

Importing labor will do nothing but keep teachers wages low, just like in any other profession. The catch-22 of this America.
/----/ Long Island Public School teachers are perhaps the highest paid in the country, exceeding $100,000 a year but the property taxes that pay for it are a killer.

People don't go into teaching to become rich. But when their salaries are so low that they can't even have a modestly decent home in a safe neighborhood to raise their family, I can see why people might go elsewhere.

Last edited:

I smell bullshit.

I looked up average teacher salary in Arizona it is $48,000 a year. That is about the same it is in my state. A lot of people would cut off their right arm for that salary especially with summers off and great benefits. $48,000 low pay lol. Your college grad walmart worker or restaurant worker would be laughing off his head who is making not even half that salary ! I know a lot of low income workers and grads with Education degrees who would love that salary. If there is such a shortage there for teachers I will transfer my SPED license to there but I am skeptical of what is claimed is in reality the complete opposite. They say in my state they have all kinds of teacher shortages too in the newspaper when in fact they are oversaturated with qualified candidates. There are way more teaching degrees and licenses awarded then there are available teaching jobs. I have gone on like 30+ interviews over 7 years trying to land a teaching job, settling for low pay subbing and paraprofessional jobs instead. I finally switched to truck driving after 7 years of failure to land a teaching job, many of my classmates are in the same boat. I would go for teaching interviews there would be like 20+ people they were interviewing. All with teaching degrees and licenses. Many applicants had a leg up on me previous years of teaching experience, but got laid off or fired at last teaching job. So the teacher with 10+ yrs of experience gets hired over the guy with no teaching experience trying to get some.

Last edited:

I smell bullshit.

I looked up average teacher salary in Arizona it is $48,000 a year. That is about the same it is in my state. A lot of people would cut off their right arm for that salary especially with summers off and great benefits. $48,000 low pay lol. Your college grad walmart worker or restaurant worker would be laughing off his head who is making not even half that salary ! I know a lot of low income workers and grads with Education degrees who would love that salary. If there is such a shortage there for teachers I will transfer my SPED license to there but I am skeptical of what is claimed is in reality the complete opposite. They say in my state they have all kinds of teacher shortages too in the newspaper when in fact they are oversaturated with qualified candidates. There are way more teaching degrees and licenses awarded then there are available teaching jobs. I have gone on like 30+ interviews over 7 years trying to land a teaching job, settling for low pay subbing and paraprofessional jobs instead. I finally switched to truck driving after 7 years of failure to land a teaching job, many of my classmates are in the same boat. I would go for teaching interviews there would be like 20+ people they were interviewing. All with teaching degrees and licenses. Many applicants had a leg up on me previous years of teaching experience, but got laid off or fired at last teaching job. So the teacher with 10+ yrs of experience gets hired over the guy with no teaching experience trying to get some.

Do you need a lesson on what the term "average" means? I would not have made that average until I had been teaching for about 15 years and I would not have made much more than that until I finally called it quits after 21 years.

As for your other misinformation, I was let go because I was eligible for tenure after 4 years in one district. My buddy who remained behind has told me they are on their third straight "one and done" teacher who they hired straight out of college, rather than pay me my salary of about $50,000 per year, because they can pay them less than $30,000 per year.

I smell bullshit.

Just two questions do you still owe for school and how much?

I smell bullshit.

Do you need a lesson on what the term "average" means? I would not have made that average until I had been teaching for about 15 years and I would not have made much more than that until I finally called it quits after 21 years.

As for your other misinformation, I was let go because I was eligible for tenure after 4 years in one district. My buddy who remained behind has told me they are on their third straight "one and done" teacher who they hired straight out of college, rather than pay me my salary of about $50,000 per year, because they can pay them less than $30,000 per year.

rather than pay me my salary of about $50,000 per year, because they can pay them less than $30,000 per year.

Thanks for that remark, that's one of the reasons why wages appear stagnet, it skews the overall stats ..

I smell bullshit.

I don't know where you looked up that salary average but I can tell you most public school teachers that I know in Arizona (at least Tucson) don't make 48K. I'd say 35-40K is more typical. Now school administrators especially in the big districts make WAY more than that some into 6 figures.

I smell bullshit.

I don't know where you looked up that salary average but I can tell you most public school teachers that I know in Arizona (at least Tucson) don't make 48K. I'd say 35-40K is more typical. Now school administrators especially in the big districts make WAY more than that some into 6 figures.

Still 35-40k a year with benefits and summer's off is really good money for a lot of Americans that they can only dream about making. Especially low wage college grads stuck in low paying jobs that pay minimum wage. That's how it was for me for 7 years while I was looking for teaching jobs, but despite all the interviews could not land a teaching job. I was living out of a broken down trailer with no heat or air conditioning. I finally gave up and went into trucking.

`
Who the hell wants to teach in Arizona? Texas is next. All I know is that in Wisconsin, there is no shortage of teachers in the sciences. The problem with Wisconsin is Milwaukee and their public school system. It drags the entire state down.
`
`

I smell bullshit.

Still 35-40k a year with benefits and summer's off is really good money for a lot of Americans that they can only dream about making. Especially low wage college grads stuck in low paying jobs that pay minimum wage. That's how it was for me for 7 years while I was looking for teaching jobs, but despite all the interviews could not land a teaching job. I was living out of a broken down trailer with no heat or air conditioning. I finally gave up and went into trucking.

Those summers off are UNPAID! School districts would go bankrupt trying to pay teachers an hourly wage, so they don't!

You get paid for when you work and sometimes not even then! Parent- teacher conferences? Unpaid. Faculty meetings? Unpaid. Professional development? Unpaid.

If you think it is such a great deal, become a teacher and maybe you will find out what working a job where being out sick increases your workload so much you'd rather go to work and be miserable than stay home and get better.

I smell bullshit.

Those summers off are UNPAID! School districts would go bankrupt trying to pay teachers an hourly wage, so they don't!

You get paid for when you work and sometimes not even then! Parent- teacher conferences? Unpaid. Faculty meetings? Unpaid. Professional development? Unpaid.

If you think it is such a great deal, become a teacher and maybe you will find out what working a job where being out sick increases your workload so much you'd rather go to work and be miserable than stay home and get better.
Lol so that's still 30 to 40k in salary a teacher is getting that is the difference between a salary employee vs an hourly one. So what not getting paid over summer still getting 30 to 40k yr.

Many professions are salary that have a lot of unpaid time. A relative of mine only makes like 30k a yr as a manager and since he is salary he has a lot of time that is unpaid and he doesn't have the luxury of having summers off. Many tech support jobs are 30 to 40k yr salary not paid hourly and you are on call 24/7 and have to work way more than 40hrs a week more like 60hrs or more. No summers off. No teachers have it a lot easier than other professions.

I tried landing a teaching job for 7 yrs with my teaching license couldn't get out of low wage work so I became a truck driver. My home is my truck never home . I would be a teacher over this in a heartbeat, but can't land a teaching job so I have no other option if I want be in the 30 to 40k yr job. Teachers honestly don't know how much better they have it than a lot of people.

Last edited:

I smell bullshit.

Lol so that's still 30 to 40k in salary a teacher is getting that is the difference between a salary employee vs an hourly one. So what not getting paid over summer still getting 30 to 40k yr.

Many professions are salary that have a lot of unpaid time. A relative of mine only makes like 30k a yr as a manager and since he is salary he has a lot of time that is unpaid and he doesn't have the luxury of having summers off. Many tech support jobs are 30 to 40k yr salary not paid hourly and you are on call 24/7 and have to work way more than 40hrs a week more like 60hrs or more. No summers off. No teachers have it a lot easier than other professions.

I tried landing a teaching job for 7 yrs with my teaching license couldn't get out of low wage work so I became a truck driver. My home is my truck never home . I would be a teacher over this in a heartbeat, but can't land a teaching job so I have no other option if I want be in the 30 to 40k yr job. Teachers honestly don't know how much better they have it than a lot of people.

How many of those positions require a Master's degree like many teaching positions?

How many of those positions work 14 hours a day like many teachers do?

How about an apples to apples comparison? All you have are oranges that you don't seem familiar with.

Is there any truth that State Police Officers are being hired from the Russia area.

I smell bullshit.

I would think you are making considerably more than $40K as a trucker. So I am assuming what you are unhappy with is not the money but the time on the road (which I fully get) and that you really would rather be a teacher.

And I do not see this getting any better.

The needs we see coming into our schools, especially in the younger grades, is astronomical. We are just beginning to understand what technology does to young brains. Add to that parents that can't pry themselves away from technology to parent and it's a toxic stew. It means you have kindergarten teachers attempting to parent 24 children at once while also trying to teach them to read.

No one can do this.

Who would want to? And while you're attempting to do this, society blames you because you CAN'T.

Everyone with half a brain is getting out.

I smell bullshit.

Sounds like a “you” problem.

I smell bullshit.

Still 35-40k a year with benefits and summer's off is really good money for a lot of Americans that they can only dream about making. Especially low wage college grads stuck in low paying jobs that pay minimum wage. That's how it was for me for 7 years while I was looking for teaching jobs, but despite all the interviews could not land a teaching job. ....

And it never occurred to you that...?

Forum List

Back