The Interstate Commerce Clause.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ihopehefails, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Interstate commerce clause is going to have to be correctly re-interpreted by the supreme court one day because the way it is being interpreted is giving congress incredible power to do everything. The current interpretation gives congress the power to "regulate" or control businesses but the original and correct interpretation was that it gave congress the power to create a uniform trade policy throughout the United States so that different businesses will have a single interstate commericial law and not deal with fifty seperate commerce rules that hamper trade between states and foreign governments. It basically hands states the power that it has to create tariffs, trade laws, and trade treaties to the federal government because in the original articles of confederation each state created their own seperate commerce policy that made trade impossible.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Good luck with that. Recent Supreme Court rulings basically allow the Commerce Clause to mean whatever the gov't wants it to mean. It would take legislation, maybe even an amendment, to change that.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    I love when brain dead morons like the O/P think they know better than 200 years of jurists what the constitution says.

I wish they'd stop. :cuckoo:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    I think the original meaning of the clause would suffice, which was "to make regular." Meaning the federal government had the authority to enforce free trade amongst the states, and that was all.

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    If people are willing to argue which party is better than the other, what can you expect ?

6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    A little knowledge is a ridiculous thing.

Actually Justice Thomas brought this up in the last case the court considered on the matter. It involved someone growing marijuana in CA(?). He sold it in CA. The claim was that since there was no interstate commerce, the feds had nothing to do with it.
    Thomas pointed out, in the minority opinion, that if the majority prevailed then effectively the clause would mean whatever the gov't wanted it to mean, there would be no restrictions at all.
    I think no restrictions at all on what government can do is a very dangerous thing.

7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,673
    That is why we have a Constitution and a Supreme Court with original and appellate jurisdiction on all matters constitutional (Article III). If the people of the U.S. don't like it, they can amend the Constitution. Until that time, we have what the SC opines now. On matters of business and trade, the states must bow before the national law.

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    But they don't even have a little knowledge.

Insofar as government restriction is concerned, I think it depends on what you're restricting. I actually don't think the feds should interfere with medical marijuana laws in the states for exactly the reason you stated. (Though I admit I'm hard pressed to agree with Thomas... but that's a discussion for another thread).

I hate to say this though... most things mean what the Court says they do. That's the nature of a common law system.

9. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,673
    Thank heavens the far rightwing can only propose, while indeed the Supreme Court does dispose.

10. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Actually I meant you.
    Yes, Supreme Court interpretations are binding. But that doesn't mean the people are powerless.
    And the court made exactly that argument in Kelo: that people could have their legislatures pass laws preventing private takings.