The Inconvenient Truth About the Democratic Party.

quote-there-is-another-class-of-colored-people-who-make-a-business-of-keeping-the-troubles-the-wrongs-booker-t-washington-354862.jpg

I wonder who that quote applies to today.

Based on my understanding of Washington's ideas, he was referring to the "talented tenth." Then as now, the statement refers, I believe, to the same people. Washington differed stridently with DuBois on what educational path was the right one for advancing blacks' station in life, economically, politically and socially. The schism between them was fundamentally similar to today's debate about preparing people, workers, for careers in the information age versus implementing protectionist economic policies in an effort to resurrect in the U.S. and economic model whereby employers, thus workers need be facile with physical skills rather than intellectual ones.

Lots of blacks found work by dint of their physical abilities. That was good for them individually, which is what Washington sought; however that didn't advance the larger goal of allowing blacks to shine as individuals, as a people, capable of more than just mean labor. In contrast, the education DuBois advocated is the only kind that could produce blacks such as Ken Chennault, Oprah, Barrack and Michelle Obama, Michelle Bernard, Bernard Tyson, along with the myriad other black professionals and business owners who, at least by outward appearances and demonstrated performance, basically enjoy parity (in society's eyes, generally speaking) with their white peers. [1] There is nothing about their success that Booker T's educational approach could have facilitated anyone's becoming a senior executive at, say, American Express or Kaiser Permanente.

Hindsight thus informs us that DuBois' approach is what facilitated a personal and first hand awareness among the "movers and shakers" of America, people who were white, that blackness is not intrinsically an impediment to excellence and one's being a high performer. The acculturation of that notion without question made way for blacks to rise to the zenith of America's social, professional, economic and political structures. It's hard to conceive, binarily speaking, of Washington's approach bringing to fruition the same outcome, for even now we observe in the strata of society to which Booker's methodology consigned blacks, layers wherein the quest to satisfy many of Maslow's lower level needs are construed in zero-sum terms, in the eyes of some (maybe many?), blacks are not social and human equals of their white peers at that end of the scale, but rather their subordinates. Today still, some whites in more advantaged strata generalize and extrapolate to working class and impoverished blacks various aspects of human deficiency on account of one outward racial trait, namely their pigmentation. [2]

Hindsight being 20/20, it seems to me that DuBois was slightly more correct than Booker T., though neither was absolutely right. I suppose that's just as well, for binarily implemented, blacks wouldn't be as far along as they now are.

Note:
  1. The racist remarks seen on USMB about Obama and other blacks show clearly that parity is not universally accorded.
  2. This notion perhaps derives from the house versus field slave mentality whereby whites, and later blacks, expressed greater affinity for and confidence in the skills, merit and abilities of fairer skinned blacks, most notably those whose birth resulted from miscegenation. (I saw the remnants of that inanity horribly manifest in the 1970s between two young black women I'd befriended. Maybe I'll share that story at some point. It's not relevant now.) I'm not in a good position to say to what extent, if any, that silly sh*t endures among blacks. Anecdotally, it seems to persist within some whites' minds. Curiously, the malaise seems also to have infected some other minority individuals (perhaps communities (?)).

Then getting actual statistics should be a good thing so that more problems can be fixed.
Why are the Dems fighting it?
It would show how many are harmed by using voter ID as well as actual numbers of voters who should not be voting in our elections.

Fighting what? Trump's delusional attempt to claim he got more votes than Hillary?

No
It's about getting more correct numbers so that we can do something about.
This goes way back, way before Trump.
Trump is the first one who is doing something about.
If it is a nothing much it puts the arguments to rest.

Put to rest? You mean like all that crazy birther crap that lasted for so many years was put to rest? Right wingers are still whining about that so called whitewater crap. The right puts nothing to rest.

Oh, and I know. Everything switched. Of course. I guess that quote she quotes from LBJ does not apply to blacks today. Of course not.

lbj-racist-quotes-2.jpg

If you think Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson really care about solving grievances of the negro race, then you need help.

quote-there-is-another-class-of-colored-people-who-make-a-business-of-keeping-the-troubles-the-wrongs-booker-t-washington-354862.jpg

I wonder who that quote applies to today.

I also find it interesting how the democrats today prefer to listen to WEB Du Bois. A commie negro who has a building named after him at Harvard. (Of course Harvard has a building named after him.)

Booker T and WEB Dubois often opposed each other.

Just look at a comparison between the two. You should note that Dubois knew nothing about slavery, except what he read and heard from freed slaves. You know, like Booker T Washington, who was in fact a slave.

chapter-8-section-2-9-728.jpg

As of 2011 Republicans in Georgia and Mississippi still opposed interracial marriage.

Democrats supported it.

African Americans consider the Republicans to be the party of racism- now.

Quoting Martin Luther King Jr
. after the Republicans nominated to be the Republican candidate for President the man who voted against the 1964 Civil Rights Act:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

Please though- I look forward to you telling African Americans that Martin Luther King Jr.- and African Americans are all idiots.....

Yes. Everybody freely admits that in the 1800's the Democrats were not supportive of blacks. Please point out any of those democrats from the 1800's that are still members of our government, and I promise not to vote for them.

LBJ was a Democrat in the 1800's? Really?

LBJ as a Democrat half a century ago.

Then getting actual statistics should be a good thing so that more problems can be fixed.
It would show how many are harmed by using voter ID as well as actual numbers of voters who should not be voting in our elections.

Fighting what? Trump's delusional attempt to claim he got more votes than Hillary?

No

Why do you believe we don't have the correct numbers?

Begging the Questions ^^^; It is an attempt to prove a proposition by using an argument that takes the proposition for granted, presupposing the very proposition that is questioned.

This defines Trump's effort, an effort to prove he is a legitimate president. By inference we know he knows he lost the popular vote, and spins that fact to claim millions of dead people voted for him, voted twice or were not legally allowed to vote.

Well that's your problem right there.
He did win legitimately with the EC votes..

Of course he did.

Trump's problem is that he keeps lying about illegal votes to try to convince gullible Americans that he also won the popular vote.

Trump has now created an entire commission to try to find evidence to support his lies about the millions of illegal voters that he claims cost him the election.

Why should we have a commission just to humor the President's fantasies?

Oh, and I know. Everything switched.
Allegedly knowing that, why did you post the video you did?

It's not that the facts Swain presents are incorrect for they aren't, however, this discussion topic isn't fully informed and affected by those few facts, unless you intend it to be yet another hackneyed caterwauling aimed at arguing that blacks should vote Republican. (If that's really what you want this thread to be, just say so. I'll happily refrain from further participating in it because I find that line trite in the extreme.)

The problem with your including Swain's video in your OP, while also attesting to (fully) understanding (hopefully you mean "fully understanding" and not the more basal "simply knowing" (about)) is that the thread topic is one that has relevance not as an academic discussion but rather as a constructive discussion about currently extant ills in our society. That value is greatly diminished if the discussion veers to being one of which mere party affiliation best today serves blacks. The transformation to which you allude didn't really complete until the bulk of the racists shifted to the GOP, something that happened relatively recently, about in the 1990s and early 2000s.
The gravamen today, is not what the Democratic and Republican parties used to be and espouse, but rather what be their composition now. In light of the aforementioned transition, one observes that today's GOP is little different from the late 20th and perhaps 19th century's Democratic party. Accordingly, despite your parochial exhortation that we adopt the procrustean constraints you have regarding the evolution of the two major parties, I will not.

Obviously, the GOP cannot control how its bigoted members vote. It can, however, willfully eschew advancing policies that appease them. If and when, by word, deed and party platform stances, the GOP vehemently sends packing into ignominious marginalia its racist members and supporters, I'll reconsider my view on what party I think best aids the end of black Americans' achieving universal parity with white Americans.

Aside:
Lest one think I'm some sort of civil rights champion, let me be clear. I'm not. It's not that I think civil rights and racial parity aren't important and well worth achieving, for they are and I believe that. They just aren't my cause célèbre. My thing is economics. Quite simply, it's a waste of the nation's resources to have whole groups of people be under utilized. I shudder when I think of the lost innovation some 200+ years of formal and informal racism wrought. I know I can't measure it, but I know it had to a lot because literally millions of minds were wasted. To me that's just stupid.​

No
This goes way back, way before Trump.
Trump is the first one who is doing something about.
If it is a nothing much it puts the arguments to rest.

Put to rest? You mean like all that crazy birther crap that lasted for so many years was put to rest? Right wingers are still whining about that so called whitewater crap. The right puts nothing to rest.

Yes to your 1st question
Both parties do it.
That is the world of politics.

Democrats also completely turned around on that group that support black euthanasia, er, Planned Parenthood, right, er, or something

Begging the Questions ^^^; It is an attempt to prove a proposition by using an argument that takes the proposition for granted, presupposing the very proposition that is questioned.

This defines Trump's effort, an effort to prove he is a legitimate president. By inference we know he knows he lost the popular vote, and spins that fact to claim millions of dead people voted for him, voted twice or were not legally allowed to vote.

Of course he did.

Trump's problem is that he keeps lying about illegal votes to try to convince gullible Americans that he also won the popular vote.

Trump has now created an entire commission to try to find evidence to support his lies about the millions of illegal voters that he claims cost him the election.

The American voters want it.
Not Trump, he is listening to the people.

Of course he did.

Just ignore that the people wanted more precise numbers way before Trump.
Puts your theory out of whack.

Race Baiting, The use of racially derisive language, actions, or other forms of communication in order to anger or intimidate or coerce.

I am sure democrats all know what race baiting is, they practice it all the time.

Please post examples ^^^ with evidence.

For each one you post, I will counter with posts by non Democrats who are known to use derisive language and other forms of communication by our resident racists.

Race Baiting, The use of racially derisive language, actions, or other forms of communication in order to anger or intimidate or coerce.

I am sure democrats all know what race baiting is, they practice it all the time.

For each one you post, I will counter with posts by non Democrats who are known to use derisive language and other forms of communication by our resident racists.

Look all over the board you will find race baiting by both sides. It is pretty obvious if you open your eyes and look. And I am sure you can find race baiting from both sides, doesn't mean it is a good thing. Of course partisan nutters never see their side doing anything of the sort.

Last edited:

Of course he did.

It is not a theory, if you knew what he considers fake votes you too might realize his witch hunt is based on digested bull food and his ego.

Example: my wife registered to vote in Wisconsin, she did not remove her name from the roster of voters in the Badger State, nor did CA notify Wisconsin when she registered to vote in CA. There are many such examples of people who moved and are on the roster of voters who do not vote twice. Only fools believe otherwise.

Look all over the board you will find race baiting by both sides. It is pretty obvious if you open your eyes and look. Of course partisan nutters never see their side doing anything of the sort.

Point out examples of liberals, progressives or Democrats who are known to use derisive language and other forms of communication against African Americans, Mexican, women, gay and lesbians! I'll do the research and match resident bigots with any you are able to find.

Of course he did.

It is not a theory, if you knew what he considers fake votes you too might realize his witch hunt is based on digested bull food and his ego.

Example: my wife registered to vote in Wisconsin, she did not remove her name from the roster of voters in the Badger State, nor did CA notify Wisconsin when she registered to vote in CA. There are many such examples of people who moved and are on the roster of voters who do not vote twice. Only fools believe otherwise.

That's on her.
It's the law that any time when you move you report it.
Even in the same city, because you would vote in another precinct.
It's not up to California to do that. It's the voters responsibility

Forum List

Back