The Guardian avocates assasination of Bush

insein said:
Not reported on in the media? IT is the media advocating the assassination!!! How do you cover that when most of the members of the media quietly think to themselves "You know thats not such a bad idea."
If you can't beat 'em, kill them!

wolvie20m said:
Hmmm....I wonder what will be the punishment for this, if any.

Good question, wolvie. In a world that had retained any semblance of grace and sanity, the court of public opinion would provide swift and sure punishment. To put it another way, this asshole would be out of business.

We're rapidly losing our ability to be outraged.

This piece is from the Guardian; the same British newspaper that printed the Bush assassination commentary. The American woman who wrote the following material works in journalism in the UK. The virulent anti-Americanism that she has experienced comes in part from the same culture of journalism that permitted the hideous Bush assassination column. The media in Europe has gone insane.

An American Scapegoat in London
In Britain, America-bashing is so bad that I fear for my safety

Carol Gould
Saturday October 16, 2004
The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1328823,00.html

Something remarkable has been happening to me in the past 19 days. Wherever I go, no one launches abuse at me. When I open my mouth to speak, I am received with civility and the occasional "Have a good one". I am not attacked or intimidated. Where have I been visiting for the past two and a half weeks? Philadelphia. And where do I live? London.
Here is a scenario from my adopted hometown: a month ago, I was travelling on a double-decker bus. A well-dressed woman boarded with her son, respectable in his school uniform. Ahead of her was an elderly American woman, who said, "I beg your pardon, I didn't mean to bang into you." This prompted a tirade from the Englishwoman - let's call her Lady E. "I rejoice every time I hear of another American soldier dying! You people are destroying the world".

The American - let's call her Mrs A - fought back: "I personally am not destroying the world." This only provoked Lady E more, and she screamed into the American's face: "I wish every one of you would leave this country and not set foot in it ever again." Mrs A began crying. "Thank you for ruining my trip." Lady E lunged at the American and began to shake her. I jumped up and shouted for the driver to stop and for her to leave the woman alone, prompting Lady E to come over and grab me. "Another bloody American! You are scum." Thankfully, the woman next to me pushed her away. I left the bus. Mrs A sat sobbing.

Did I imagine this? No. Was the Englishwoman a crazy? No.

I don't like what is happening in Britain, and am dismayed at the level at which anti-Americanism has peaked in recent months. Does anyone say "George Bush" or "Donald Rumsfeld" or "Dick Cheney" when they fly into these tirades? No. In fact, the visceral, in-your-face America-hatred goes back long before the days of the Bush regime.

When Bill Clinton was president, I attended a human-rights conference at my local synagogue in St John's Wood. During the tea break, I asked a man at one of the booths for a leaflet. He heard my accent and launched into a red-faced screeching session about the evils of American empire and of the "nazism" and "fascism" promulgated by the US. A black man came over and began shouting about America having "invented slavery" and a delicate elderly lady joined the fray to bellow about the Zionists running America and the "genocides" perpetrated by Americans since the days of William Penn. I wondered why I had ventured out on a Sunday to be with like-minded people concerned about human rights, only to be reduced to a gibbering jelly as an ugly, strident crowd grew around me.

I have lived in Europe for all of my adult life, and from the day I arrived I have been aware not only of an oft-blatant anti-semitism but also a resentment of Americans among colleagues, teachers, my social circle and neighbours. What is significant about this rage is that it emanates not from the great unwashed but from the educated and intellectual classes.

We all know about the academic boycotts of Israeli scholars. We all know about poor Philip Lader, the former US ambassador, who was reduced to tears on Question Time as David Dimbleby dispassionately watched a studio audience stomping its feet and shouting anti- American epithets two days after 9/11. I cannot conduct business or even take a taxi ride in Britain without a scathing tirade about the scurrilous Yanks. The day after 9/11, a minicab driver informed me that the "yellow Americans" on the four hijacked planes were typical of the way "the Yanks do battle - they chicken out and let the Brits do the dirty work". (WTF?)

As far as the Guardian-reading classes are concerned, my hunch is that the relentless America-bashing in the European media, combined with the abundance of criticism of Israel, has created an atmosphere of hostility that makes me fearful for my safety in my beloved adopted country.

We have Islamic extremists in Britain holding "festivals" to celebrate the "magnificent 19 of September 11". And last November, when George Bush visited the UK and London's mayor, Ken Livingstone, boycotted the state banquet, ordinary folk gathered in Trafalgar Square to burn and stomp on the Stars and Stripes.

I hesitate to blame the media. But I have stopped going to meetings of my trade union, the National Union of Journalists, because I cannot listen to incessant vitriol about the crimes of my native country. Yes, there is much to worry about in present US policy, but how many American trade unions spend hours devising resolutions to censure their most trusted and valued ally? How many Americans invite expat Brits to their dinner table only to abuse and intimidate them? Friends tell me that the US is one giant fundamentalist-Christian nation of Bible-bashers. Otherwise enlightened colleagues tell me that the US "threatens the world far more than Bin Laden".

Where will it all end? I know many expat Americans - including non-Jews - who have received dressing-downs at social and professional gatherings. The standard reprimand contains the list of American misdemeanors: the Project for the New American Century taking over the world's governments; Wolfowitz, Perle and other "Zionists" bullying the Bush and Blair governments into war with Iraq; and American Jews running the world's media, banks and industries.

Here is what I perceive as the explanation: Europe has always been a seething hotbed of anti-semitism. England, sadly, has the distinction of being the very first country to expel its Jews and initiate the blood libel. The Jews were not allowed back into England until the time of Cromwell, and feel to this day that they worship by the grace of the sovereign. It is impossible to convey to Americans inside the US, or to American Jews, the open loathing of both groups that dominates daily life outside the US today.

I am aware that many Americans are leaving their homes abroad and returning home after decades in Europe because they can no longer endure the daily abuse. Anti-Americanism is not a result of Abu Ghraib or of a Rumsfeldian pronouncement. It is a disturbing and hurtful form of psychosis that is rapidly eroding the all-important special relationship.

I do not yet fear for my life in St John's Wood, but it sure is heaven strolling around the artists' studios at the Torpedo factory in Alexandria, Virginia and being greeted as me, not as a bloody American or an accursed Jew.

Onedomino thats is good article. I wonder if this really how most europeans feel. If so I think this is our time of self-dependence. It goes to show you all we can depend on is ourselves. I wonder how much farther this will go. I don't belive we treat Brit's like shit here, goes to show you also who's agenda is more messed up.

insein said:
Not reported on in the media? IT is the media advocating the assassination!!! How do you cover that when most of the members of the media quietly think to themselves "You know thats not such a bad idea."

this should be on every evening news broadcast prominently. people need to realize the folly of "kerry's european dreams", these people are rapidly ceasing to be our allies.

sagegirl said:
Several observations: Bush does tend to stumble when he speaks, drops off sentences, loses his train of thought, using long pauses ,as if hes going to say something important and come up with something profound, and ends up with some overused rhetoric in the end. In his campaign speeches he is reading from a script, hell I could spout his rhetoric better that he can, and I dont even agree with it. He so confidently flips over the pages as he delivers his speech it makes me wonder if he really knows what he is saying. I have a close friend that use to drink, heavily, sober now for over 20 years and I notice a great similarity in their mannerisms, the failure to follow thru on a thought process, long pauses while trying to get their thought together. My friend readily admits that he burned alot of brain cells in the process. I think George did too.

As to the wire, I dont think his mannerisms were all that different but I must say he was sure eager to get up and speak, I guess once he has an idea of something to say , whereever it comes from, he has to say it quickly or he might forget it. The fact this issue wasnt exploited is that it isnt really an issue, if the shoe was on the other foot, you would have heard endless ranting and raving about it.

Hey sage ,
I'm curious , do you think that Stephen Hawking is a dumbass because he doesn't speak like a used car salesman . After the last four years of badgering I would expect an intelligent well educated person like President Bush to choose his words very carefully . He knows that no matter what he says , jerks like Mikie Moore or Katie Couric will spin it to say what they want . Give me enough video editing equipment , enough film footage of these two and I could make Moore look like Couric's younger , skinnier sister . . . . maybe not , maybe I could just make Moore look like an intelligent , well informed , sincere and caring , middle class guy . No I guess that would take the full staff at Dream Works with all of their special effects know how and skill .
Besides , the President is not a king , he is a CEO of the greatest Country in the world . He has surrounded himself with the best minds available , the idiots doing the criticism are just Monday morning quarterbacks , we have no idea what they would have done under the exact same circumstances.

sagegirl said:
Several observations: Bush does tend to stumble when he speaks, drops off sentences, loses his train of thought, using long pauses ,as if hes going to say something important and come up with something profound, and ends up with some overused rhetoric in the end. In his campaign speeches he is reading from a script, hell I could spout his rhetoric better that he can, and I dont even agree with it. He so confidently flips over the pages as he delivers his speech it makes me wonder if he really knows what he is saying. I have a close friend that use to drink, heavily, sober now for over 20 years and I notice a great similarity in their mannerisms, the failure to follow thru on a thought process, long pauses while trying to get their thought together. My friend readily admits that he burned alot of brain cells in the process. I think George did too.

As to the wire, I dont think his mannerisms were all that different but I must say he was sure eager to get up and speak, I guess once he has an idea of something to say , whereever it comes from, he has to say it quickly or he might forget it. The fact this issue wasnt exploited is that it isnt really an issue, if the shoe was on the other foot, you would have heard endless ranting and raving about it.

Great leaders and famous people that had speech impediments

Moses - also known as "The Great Law Giver"

Jack Welch - CEO of General Electric

Isaac Newton - The writer of "Principia Mathematica", discovered the law of Gravity, and laws of motion

Charles Darwin - Writer of the "Origin of Species" and developed the theory of Natural Selection

Lewis Carroll - author of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

Marilyn Monroe - movie star

James Earl Jones - actor and the voice of Darth Vader and "The Voice of CNN"

Albert Einstein - did not speak until the age of 4 and went on to develop the Special and General Theories of Relativity.

Carly Simon and Mel Tillis - singers

Gary Moore and Jack Parr - Game Show Host and host of "The Tonight Show", respectively

Great people are great because they overcame their disabilities and disappointments. Their detractors, on the other hand could not see past them.

P.S. Forgive me for "tooting my own horn", but I could not speak a word of English until I was about six. My parents were immigrants and nothing but Italian was spoken in our house. My mother tells me that I learned English by watching television (I doubt it, but it's a nice story). In spite of this, I was able to overcome this obstacle and now am known to be quite articulate.

Latest update:

Just heard on Glenn Beck that "The Guardian" pulled the article. Nonetheless, they are still writing people in Ohio to tell them to vote for Kerry.

And then I start hunting around the internet, looking to see what the US media made of the whole "wire" debate. And they just let it die. They mentioned it in passing, called it a wacko conspiracy theory and moved on.
Yeah, the US media is always letting Bush off the hook.
rolleyes.gif

Face it, it is just a Moore-esque wacko conspiracy theory. If even the biased MSM aren't pursuing it much, there must be nothing to it.

I guess you just ignore the stupid things Kerry says (and the biased media does too). Remember he said Treblinka Square when he meant Lubyanka Square, and he mentioned special forces conducting terrorist operations when he meant anti-terrorist operations (Link). I'm sure there are more (not to mention all the stupid things his wife says).

Well I guess they finally took enough flak to back off.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/10/25/105353.shtml

Left-Wing U.K. Paper Pulls Column on Assassinating Bush
Patrick Goodenough, CNSNews.com
Monday, Oct. 25, 2004

Britain's left-wing Guardian newspaper said at the weekend that it and a columnist were sorry if anyone took offense at published remarks appearing to call for the assassination of President Bush.

In a column published in the paper's entertainment guide section on Saturday, Charlie Brooker wrote that Bush would probably win the Nov. 2 election despite the prayers of "the entire civilized world," thus proving that God did not exist.

"The world will endure four more years of idiocy, arrogance and unwarranted bloodshed, with no benevolent deity to watch over and save us," he continued. "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. -- where are you now that we need you?"

By Sunday, the column had been pulled from the Guardian's Web site, replaced with a note saying that the final sentence of the column had "caused offence to some readers."

It said the paper associated itself with a statement from Brooker, apologizing for any offense caused by his comments.

"The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action -- an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind." (Yeah, right. Lying egg-sucking bastards.)

Booth and Oswald respectively assassinated President Abraham Lincoln in 1865 and President John Kennedy in 1963; Hinckley tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan in 1981.

(Elsewhere in Brooker's column, the columnist compared Bush and Sen. John Kerry's performances in the recent televised debates, saying that although the Democrat had looked and sounded "a bit like a haunted tree," he was, at least, "not a lying, sniggering, drink-driving, selfish, reckless, ignorant, dangerous, backward, drooling, twitching, blinking, mouse-faced little cheat.")

They've issued an "apology":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/tvradio/story/0,14676,1335307,00.html

Screen Burn, The Guide

Sunday October 24, 2004
The Guardian

The final sentence of a column in The Guide on Saturday caused offence to some readers. The Guardian associates itself with the following statement from the writer.
"Charlie Brooker apologises for any offence caused by his comments relating to President Bush in his TV column, Screen Burn. The views expressed in this column are not those of the Guardian. Although flippant and tasteless, his closing comments were intended as an ironic joke, not as a call to action - an intention he believed regular readers of his humorous column would understand. He deplores violence of any kind."

Forum List

Back