CDZ The Great Irony of 2016

OK, let's set aside the facts that Donald Trump can be an arrogant buffoon and Hillary Clinton couldn't pas a security check to become a parking lot attendant. (Those of you who can't are now excused.)

The great irony of this year's elections is that many people of all political persuasions will be voting against their own self interest. Seniors who will be voting for Trump can expect no financial benefit from his policies; indeed, Hillary's spending spree will likely increase the interest paid on their retirement accounts, and inflation will increase the value of their homes.

On the other hand, younger voters who support Hillary will see fewer job opportunities if she is elected. In the long run, any relief from student loan debt will be eaten up by higher taxes and inflation, effectively writing them out of the American Dream that was available to previous generations.

The stakes couldn't be higher, and yet a large portion of our population will continue to sleepwalk towards their future.
I don't think it is ironic at all that most of us will hold our noses and vote for the less terrible candidate. That's not sleepwalking toward the future, that's doing what you can to avoid it's quick decline.

Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking. The reality is, that unless one of them drops dead, our next POTUS will be either Trump or Hillary. I'll vote Trump for the same reason I voted Romney and McCain.

That's exactly how we "got here". With 2 arrogant re-tred power whores as the primary choices. I'm watching DAILY as political discussion gets dragged lower and lower. And PRINCIPLES and ISSUES get buried.

Don't agree with the excuse of a "wasted vote". The MAJORITY OF eligible voters in this country are STILL pissed the day after an election. Either because they cast "a wasted vote" and lost -- or they REFUSE to vote, and in that process, reward EITHER partisan corporation for their tearing us apart and obfuscating incompetence and criminal actions by politicians.

Voting AGAINST evil and arrogance is the only cure. And right now, there is a qualified of 2 former 2 term govs to vote for on the LParty ticket. THEIR choices and actions would be MUCH MORE predictable and healthy for America. If your objection to SAVING this country from further decline is ----- "I just HATE THEIR candidate so much" --- you are hitting the accelerator -- instead of the brake.
I hear you, and there are others who agree with you. There are not enough of them though. lf I believed the L party candidate could win I would cast my vote. As I said, I don't believe we have a choice other than DT or HC in this election. I understand the no choosing evil argument. The thing is, I don't think not voting the lesser evil is the answer when the greater evil is thus put in charge.

Ultimately, I believe that Donald Trump has helped the GOP. Establishment R's and rinos have ignored voters wishes and now we have this wild man candidate basically because the old crowd of R's have screwed us one time too many. Next time around, hopefully a conservative will step up. I believe that because of the decline in morality and honesty, voters will again say, enough.

Sometimes it's NOT about winning. It's about principle. By winning some electoral votes, and getting percentages that qualify for "free pass" ballot access -- those votes PRESERVE the option of having choices on the ballot.

If no one WANTS other choices on the ballot and we CONTINUE this spiral down the tubes, we are doomed.

You WASTE your vote when you REWARD the political circus that has rolled into town..
I am very afraid of what will happen to this country if Hillary wins. Therefore, my principles compel me to use my vote to try and stop her.

OK, let's set aside the facts that Donald Trump can be an arrogant buffoon and Hillary Clinton couldn't pas a security check to become a parking lot attendant. (Those of you who can't are now excused.)

The great irony of this year's elections is that many people of all political persuasions will be voting against their own self interest. Seniors who will be voting for Trump can expect no financial benefit from his policies; indeed, Hillary's spending spree will likely increase the interest paid on their retirement accounts, and inflation will increase the value of their homes.

On the other hand, younger voters who support Hillary will see fewer job opportunities if she is elected. In the long run, any relief from student loan debt will be eaten up by higher taxes and inflation, effectively writing them out of the American Dream that was available to previous generations.

The stakes couldn't be higher, and yet a large portion of our population will continue to sleepwalk towards their future.

What makes you think Trump would make us "see more jobs" than Hillary?

It's a quick trip to the bottom when 2 parties constantly excuse THEIR behavior, by citing the precedents of the other party doing the same things. Right now it's Sharktopus versus Piranhodile. Locked in mortal combat and the fans are going down WITH them. A vote is too precious to waste on the basis of "hating the other".

That's why it's time to tell these warring tribes to cut it the hell out. We MIGHT need a period of "mediation" to stop the decline in political discourse. And for that reason -- ALL of the party animals and the LARGE group of politically homeless ought to consider NOT rewarding either of the arrogant, power hungry lunatics by voting for Johnson/Weld. Would not KILL America to put those 2 political corporations in time-out for 4 or 8 years.

I don't think it is ironic at all that most of us will hold our noses and vote for the less terrible candidate. That's not sleepwalking toward the future, that's doing what you can to avoid it's quick decline.

Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking. The reality is, that unless one of them drops dead, our next POTUS will be either Trump or Hillary. I'll vote Trump for the same reason I voted Romney and McCain.

Jill Stein may not be on the ballot of all 50 states, but she'll be on enough to win if people have the courage to vote for her.

We don't agree. There is no need to yell.
For the record, I was not yelling at you in particular. I was yelling at those who insist that the best course of action is to simply dig slower.

For me, this is NOT a viable option.

I am very afraid of what will happen to this country if Hillary wins. Therefore, my principles compel me to use my vote to try and stop her.
I, too, am very afraid of what would come if Hilary wins. However, I am nearly equally afraid of what comes if Donald wins. Therefore, I will likely vote for someone else. As yet, my choice is not set in concrete, but I have a pretty good idea where my vote will go.

As a lifelong Democrat until 2000 I can tell you there are but two choices in 2016. Donald J. Trump or disaster fir our nation. (I voted Third Party from 2000 until now when one man stood up and told the elites to jam it).

It's a quick trip to the bottom when 2 parties constantly excuse THEIR behavior, by citing the precedents of the other party doing the same things. Right now it's Sharktopus versus Piranhodile. Locked in mortal combat and the fans are going down WITH them. A vote is too precious to waste on the basis of "hating the other".

That's why it's time to tell these warring tribes to cut it the hell out. We MIGHT need a period of "mediation" to stop the decline in political discourse. And for that reason -- ALL of the party animals and the LARGE group of politically homeless ought to consider NOT rewarding either of the arrogant, power hungry lunatics by voting for Johnson/Weld. Would not KILL America to put those 2 political corporations in time-out for 4 or 8 years.

The problems you point out were exacerbated during the last eight years by the left-wing Democrats who, capitalizing on the election of our First Black President, violated our Constitutional norms by dishonestly ramming through a fundamental change in our health care system and then shutting down the normal operations of our Legislative Branch by refusing to allow votes or pass budgets. At the same time, the Executive Branch became the most politicized in 100 years, and the Judicial Branch has usurped traditional State authority by making up its own new laws.

The reason I mention this is because it has led to a feeling of disenfranchisement by millions of Americans who see their country and their values being stolen from them. Instead of allowing public consensus to form regarding major issues affecting the country, those in power have forced their policies and beliefs on the public without their consent.

Combined with the assumed nomination of a corrupt politician like Hillary Clinton to carry on this disregard of their basic Constitutional rights and values, they have turned to an improbable candidate like Donald Trump as a desperate attempt to save the America they have known. This is why we are now at war with each other.

Trump's nomination ripped the mask off of what is really going on in America, and made it blatantly obvious both 'Parties' have become nothing but a 'Good Cop Bad Cop' game, they only represent themselves and the super wealthy, not only here but around the globe, and they are now openly closing ranks against their own country and people, and we also see that a majority of Americans are okay with that and don't give a crap about the country, as long as they think they will personally benefit from one hack or another winning the election, despite all the evidence to the contrary.They are intent on killing off America as a sovereign country once and for all, and the y have a lot of support from both the left wing vermin and the right wing vermin, enough to make that happen right now.

As far as the average ex-American is concerned, there is no law and order, or legal recourse any more, it's dead, and it isn't coming back, just like any job that pays more than $1.25 a day is gone forever. Get used to it, and watch it burn the rest of the way down. 'Free Speech' will disappear by the end of next year if Hillary wins, most likely, or maybe they'll just kill it off incrementally, as they have been up til now, who knows.

When I get some time I'll post what Thomas Jefferson foresaw if Hamilton's plans for the U.S. won out over Republicanism and independence, and his fears have come to pass to the letter..

Last edited:

The problems you point out were exacerbated during the last eight years by the left-wing Democrats who, capitalizing on the election of our First Black President, violated our Constitutional norms by dishonestly ramming through a fundamental change in our health care system and then shutting down the normal operations of our Legislative Branch by refusing to allow votes or pass budgets. At the same time, the Executive Branch became the most politicized in 100 years, and the Judicial Branch has usurped traditional State authority by making up its own new laws.

The reason I mention this is because it has led to a feeling of disenfranchisement by millions of Americans who see their country and their values being stolen from them. Instead of allowing public consensus to form regarding major issues affecting the country, those in power have forced their policies and beliefs on the public without their consent.

Combined with the assumed nomination of a corrupt politician like Hillary Clinton to carry on this disregard of their basic Constitutional rights and values, they have turned to an improbable candidate like Donald Trump as a desperate attempt to save the America they have known. This is why we are now at war with each other.

Maybe it takes a boatload of "disenfranchisement" like that to push complacent Americans over the edge. MANY of us were already there because of bombing 3 or 4 Arab countries a year, or the Patriot Act, or the myriad of bureaucratic abuses that are piling up from the Minions of the Damned..

So I'm not buying excuses for the LATEST partisanship additions to the crap-pile.. Both sides are getting away with shit "because the other side did it".. Time for a reboot. Time to for the ring judge to step in and break this lawless fight up.. Put the parties in "TIME-OUT" for 4 years. Cool down the rhetoric, and maybe fix a few important things. Vote principle. Vote for a clean reset.

What Jefferson predicted:

Jefferson saw too that funding had unleashed a speculative craze in New York and other commercial hubs. A hot mass of feelings, Jefferson exclaimed that America was being transformed into a “gaming table”. Already, he contended, the new national government was imperiled by the financial mania. A”corrupt squadron of paper dealers”, whom he labeled as “stock jobbers” driven solely by pecuniary interests, had surfaced within Congress, and the day was coming when they and their kind would have the resources to sway a congressional majority. Furthermore, Jefferson cautioned, their gamester ethic would corrode the traditional frugality and industry that defined the American character. …
During 1790 the notion took shape in Jefferson's mind that unless Hamilton was stopped, America would someday be dominated by huge financial institutions. Commercial avarice would dominate the national mores, and ever larger chunks of the American population would be the property-less denizens of vast, squalid cities. … Indeed, those who lived in such a checkered society would not be free, and as they lost their independence, republicanism would be relegated to the scrap heap of the past.

pages 51-52. Adams vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800- by John Ferling, Oxford University Press.

At this point it's worth pointing out that only around 20% or less of the popular vote actually matters, and the other 80% has no real influence on elections due to the way the electoral college votes are decided in many states. Getting all schoolgirlishly excited n stuff over third parties and the like is certainly a fun pastime, but without reforms in many states it's just fantasy and a waste of time in real life.

Voting for Gary Johnson or Jill whatshername or writing in a candidate or not voting at all, is sleepwalking.
So, a person who votes for "other than Clinton or Trump" because neither of them come even close to sharing the values and opinions of said person, is "sleep-walking"? Seems to me that if a person votes their conscience, who ever they vote for, they are not sleep-walking. A person who decides, "well I gotta chose between these two buffoons if I want my vote to matter" is the one who is "sleep-walking".
Just imagine, if you will, a time when the MAJORITY of voters actually thought things through, did their research and decided to vote 3rd party. What do you suppose that would do to the current system? I would say it would sent a pretty clear message to BOTH parties, "we don't support either of you anymore". Then they would have a choice, listen to their constituents, or vanish into history. Which do you think they would choose?
I disagree. Voting for someone who has absolutely no chance of winning doesn't make sense. I used the word sleepwalking in direct response to the OP's use of the word.

Please see my response #11 and you might notice I don't disagree with you entirely.
The candidate has no chance of winning until enough people decide to vote for him. If people continue to write of the 3Rd party candidates "because they can't win" it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. With so many hating both what the democrats and the Republicans have put before us, this election could go to a 3rd party.

That's exactly how we "got here". With 2 arrogant re-tred power whores as the primary choices. I'm watching DAILY as political discussion gets dragged lower and lower. And PRINCIPLES and ISSUES get buried.

Don't agree with the excuse of a "wasted vote". The MAJORITY OF eligible voters in this country are STILL pissed the day after an election. Either because they cast "a wasted vote" and lost -- or they REFUSE to vote, and in that process, reward EITHER partisan corporation for their tearing us apart and obfuscating incompetence and criminal actions by politicians.

Voting AGAINST evil and arrogance is the only cure. And right now, there is a qualified of 2 former 2 term govs to vote for on the LParty ticket. THEIR choices and actions would be MUCH MORE predictable and healthy for America. If your objection to SAVING this country from further decline is ----- "I just HATE THEIR candidate so much" --- you are hitting the accelerator -- instead of the brake.
I hear you, and there are others who agree with you. There are not enough of them though. lf I believed the L party candidate could win I would cast my vote. As I said, I don't believe we have a choice other than DT or HC in this election. I understand the no choosing evil argument. The thing is, I don't think not voting the lesser evil is the answer when the greater evil is thus put in charge.

Ultimately, I believe that Donald Trump has helped the GOP. Establishment R's and rinos have ignored voters wishes and now we have this wild man candidate basically because the old crowd of R's have screwed us one time too many. Next time around, hopefully a conservative will step up. I believe that because of the decline in morality and honesty, voters will again say, enough.

Sometimes it's NOT about winning. It's about principle. By winning some electoral votes, and getting percentages that qualify for "free pass" ballot access -- those votes PRESERVE the option of having choices on the ballot.

If no one WANTS other choices on the ballot and we CONTINUE this spiral down the tubes, we are doomed.

You WASTE your vote when you REWARD the political circus that has rolled into town..
And if Trump keeps tanking in the polls, voting for him may be the best way to "Waste" your vote.

And if Trump keeps tanking in the polls, voting for him may be the best way to "Waste" your vote.
Polls sure do change.
Trump vs. Clinton: Here Are The Latest Polls

Polls sure do change.
Still tanking. Your link is a week old.

Ya, but, a large group of people are only in it for entertainment. If it can't be shouted or dropped into a meme they have no interest whatsoever in it. Legislation? Screw that. Policy? Screw that. People that sit on the board of a media conglomerate also sit on the board of some (or several) other entity and the media represents those interests. And then there are all of the "alternative" news sources that receive funding from sweet little individuals. It forms their opinions. Until people focus on issues then it will continue on.

People had time to do that. If it hasn't changed by now then it probably won't.

Polls sure do change.
It was updated. You brought polls into the discussion but evidently aren't willing to truly look at what the polls are doing. The linked article, that you obviously didn't read, offered an analysis of polls suggesting a trend that it is Hillary that is tanking.

Ya, but, a large group of people are only in it for entertainment. If it can't be shouted or dropped into a meme they have no interest whatsoever in it. Legislation? Screw that. Policy? Screw that. People that sit on the board of a media conglomerate also sit on the board of some (or several) other entity and the media represents those interests. And then there are all of the "alternative" news sources that receive funding from sweet little individuals. It forms their opinions. Until people focus on issues then it will continue on.

People had time to do that. If it hasn't changed by now then it probably won't.

When was the last time any Presidential candidate wrote an actual policy paper? I can't think of one who would even know how since Nixon, Right, Left, or 'Third'; it's all driven by commercials and sound bites, and now a Supreme Court that has assumed a concentration of power due to a Congress that refuses to do its job and ceding its powers to other branches, it renders even those popularity contests moot and irrelevant.

Polls sure do change.
It was updated. You brought polls into the discussion but evidently aren't willing to truly look at what the polls are doing. The linked article, that you obviously didn't read, offered an analysis of polls suggesting a trend that it is Hillary that is tanking.

Most of those pollsters are in somebody's pockets anyway, so they don't tell anybody a thing; they're just more propaganda, not objective analyses.

Forum List

Back