The GOPs New Star: Jindal

The adult tissues reported to contain stem cells include brain, bone marrow, peripheral blood, blood vessels, skeletal muscle, skin and liver.

sounds like they'd have to be dead to obtain the stem cells huh.

perhaps embryonic stem cells are used because they are seemingly untainted. Aren't the embryos that are used for this research going to be destroyed anyway too? if they can help those who are living isn't that a good thing?

Wow, someone needs an anger management course! I was referring to the fact that he wants Creationism taught in schools, that alone - to me, makes me think he's not an intellectual stud. Is that better nutjob?

It makes you a bigger nutter than he is and clearly ignorant and a liar to boot. Clearly all you do is shoot off your mouth based on nothing. Fool.

perhaps embryonic stem cells are used because they are seemingly untainted. Aren't the embryos that are used for this research going to be destroyed anyway too? if they can help those who are living isn't that a good thing?

Not that I'm any expert on this subject, but as I understand the difference and the argument it goes something like this:

Adult stems cells are available and they can be readily harvested (however they get them). They can also be reproduced (cloned I think). There has been some small scientific benefit attributed to them.

Fetal stems cells appear to be favored because of the growth aspect. It is suspected they they are different because, coming from a fetus, they are expected to have rapid growth qualities that adult stem cells would not offer. I'm not clear whether this has been proven or not.

As far as I know, no scientific breakthroughs have occurred using these.

On the right, the resistance comes from the anti-abortion front. Their belief being that having a use for fetal tissue encourages abortion.

According to a small article in our local TBT (tampa bay times) it appears that the GOP think Mr. Jindal is the future of the Republican party....their very own Obama or so they say.

I don't see this happening. not if what they say his view are turn out to be accurate. he's against abortion without exception, he's against stem cell research and he's for teaching creationism in schools.

This guy sounds like the kind of rightwing nutter that the GOP should be running away from not running towards.

I'm not all that sure what Bobby Jindal accomplished that makes him so popular. When he speaks, he seems like your run-of-the-mill right-wing ideologue with an accent that would make it impossible for me to even know that he's Indian unless I was looking at him, and other than the fact that he's Indian, I see nothing in the guy that makes him really stand out from the other Republicans. He doesn't even seem that charismatic to me.

are you sure those things (in the OP) are what he really believes?

Yes, creationism can be taught in schools along with the big bang theory.

There are fundamental differences in the nature of the two ideas.

One is based on some actual evidence and is subject to change. One is based on a text and is not subject to change.

One is science, one isn't. Teach creationism - fine - but not in science because it ain't.

There are fundamental differences in the nature of the two ideas.

One is based on some actual evidence and is subject to change. One is based on a text and is not subject to change.

One is science, one isn't. Teach creationism - fine - but not in science because it ain't.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: Thank you, someone with reason. Look, if anyone out there thinks creationism should be taught in schools as "history" then you're absolutely nuts

Darwin - FACTS Creationism - someone's idea

According to a small article in our local TBT (tampa bay times) it appears that the GOP think Mr. Jindal is the future of the Republican party....their very own Obama or so they say.

I don't see this happening. not if what they say his view are turn out to be accurate. he's against abortion without exception, he's against stem cell research and he's for teaching creationism in schools.

This guy sounds like the kind of rightwing nutter that the GOP should be running away from not running towards.

*yawn*

Don't know who the GOP's candidate will be in 4 years so just start smearing them all now, huh? Sounds like a typical leftwing nutter.

Jindal sounds pretty bright to me, but from what I understand younger evangelicals are shifting towards an expanded view of the role in faith in the world. One that includes environmental protection, for example, as a key issue, and valuing life at all stages including the lives of civilians in countries at war etc.

What this might mean is that the 'single issue' nature of pro-life or anti-gay doesn't get younger evangelicals to the polls the way it gets some of the older ones. Younger ones broke more for Obama than older ones (though still mostly GOP) because they have a broader view.

So Jindal might be the voice of a new generation, but it sounds like he needs to be more broad in his appeal to reach younger voters to be the 'republican Obama.'

The Journey, a megachurch of mostly younger evangelicals, is representative of a new generation that refuses to put politics at the center of its faith and rejects identification with the religious right.

They say they are tired of the culture wars. They say they do not want the test of their faith to be the fight against gay rights. They say they want to broaden the traditional evangelical anti-abortion agenda to include care for the poor, the environment, immigrants and people with H.I.V., according to experts on younger evangelicals and the young people themselves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/us/01evangelical.html

I actually like "Piyush" he is at least straightforward about his party's current state. He is one of the few republicans who actually doesn't blame the media or all the other BS the rest of them do. He places the blame solely on republicans which is where it should be. He advocates offering solutions rather then bitching and whining. I think the party should listen to him closely, he may have some radical positions, but overall he is head and sholuders above the rest of the gop pack imo..

"There are things the Republicans Party needs to do. It needs to match its action to its rhetoric," said Jindal. "It claims to be the party against out of control spending and for cutting taxes, yet it defends spending it would have never let the other side propose without criticizing."

In addition, Jindal argued that Republicans need to focus more on pocketbook issues that motivate voters, particularly during the economic meltdown sweeping the nation.

"It needs to be a party of solutions," he said. "It needs to apply conservative principles to problems like the rising cost of health care, the national economic challenge and other challenges facing our country that American families care about."

He warned against partisan Republicans who argue for moving quickly to bash Obama at every turn.

"It can't be just the party of no," said Jindal. "It just can't go to Washington and oppose, it has to propose solutions."

I think there are a lot of people focused on what the Republican Party can do to improve itself," said Jindal. "I think the focus ought to be on what we can do to strengthen America."

"I'm not here to beat up our federal partners, it's not about pointing fingers," said Jindal.

In Iowa stop, Jindal says GOP must offer solutions | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Top Stories | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com

Last edited:
*yawn*

Don't know who the GOP's candidate will be in 4 years so just start smearing them all now, huh? Sounds like a typical leftwing nutter.

you're a rightwing nutter who can't stand anyone talking about the Cons....it's really becoming quite pathetic.

I didn't smear him. I gave an opinion based on a piece in my local paper where the GOP said this guy WILL be President someday. If ya'll don't want to discuss him then fine whatever but don't blame me because the GOP is already giving this guy handjobs and high praise.

Lycurgus
Save The 2nd Join Date: Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Sounds like it.

His policies are the same as Bush's.

Chris, specifically which policies?

As far as your embryo comment, well why do that to yourself?

Lycurgus
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Lycurgus
Send email to Lycurgus
Find all posts by Lycurgus
Add Lycurgus to Your Contacts

Yesterday, 04:14 PM
Chris
Yes we can! Join Date: May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycurgus
Chris, specifically which policies?

As far as your embryo comment, well why do that to yourself?

Bush called frozen embryos, "snowflake babies."

I guess you didn't know that.

Chris, what the hell does this have to do with Jindal?

Also, could you please answer my question since you made the comment about his policies?

Or are you still searching! lol

Never mind Chris, if you could have answered it, you would have. If you knew anything at all about the comments you made about Jindal, you would have answered it.

may be smart as a whip and the next great Republican, but he's the worst speaker I've ever heard including Bush. He desperately needs to take a public speaking class cause no matter what many think, thats a big part of the job and that boy couldn't inspire a chimpanzee

Forum List

Back