The GOP announces the four finalists for the 2016 National Convention

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
RNC Selects Cities for 2016 Official Site Visits - GOP

WASHINGTON – Today, the Republican National Committee’s (RNC) Site Selection Committee for the 2016 Republican National Convention, met via conference call, selecting Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, and Kansas City to receive official site visits from the RNC’s 2016 site selection delegation. The official site visits represent the next phase in the site selection process and will allow key RNC officials and the full Site Selection Committee to tour cities and venues vying to host the 2016 Republican National Convention. The committee’s decision was based on an extensive review of bids, presentations, and reports compiled from technical visits to each city.

Prior to the site selection committee vote, Cincinnati respectfully withdrew their bid from the process based upon the criteria set forth by the RNC for the main arena. Las Vegas also respectfully withdrew their 2016 bid based on the RNC’s criteria for a traditional arena facility and enough on-site preparatory time to accommodate the 2016 convention.

After receiving notification from Cincinnati and Las Vegas, the committee conducted votes on the remaining cities and determined each would receive a visit.

Timing and dates for official visits will be coordinated with Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, and Kansas City and an announcement will be forthcoming with more details for each visit.
Following today’s meeting of the Site Selection Committee, Chairwoman Enid Mickelsen issued the following statement:

“Today the committee determined that Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, and Kansas City will receive official visits from the full RNC site selection delegation. All cities excelled in nearly every aspect of their bids and presentation this year, but these four cities stood out from the field from the start of this process and deserve a deeper look by the full committee.

I'm thinking they will go with Columbus.

I'm guessing Dallas. It would be a mistake to hold it in the pot-head capital of Denver but maybe not. The left wing heads would be in a fog so there would be no demonstrations.

It'd be kinda awkward to have it in Cleveland considering it's such a left-leaning city.

While I rarely find myself in Cleveland, having it basically shut down while the police state moves in is a little too close to home.

• Banned
It'd be kinda awkward to have it in Cleveland considering it's such a left-leaning city.

Aside from the fact that it's also a total shit hole.

I used to live in Akron, just a small drive away from Cleveland. Cleveland has it's problems, but it is hardly a "shithole".

Where were you last there?

Ohio is a battleground state, thats for sure. But Cleveland is just too Democrat. Colorado is another battle ground state but Denver has lots of looney liberals.I think KC gets the nod. Heartland of America and Mizzou is a state GOP will need to carry in 2016.Where are the Dems meeting? San Fran? Hollywood? Greenwich Village? I know...how about Detroit, the epic failure of liberalism.

Ohio is a battleground state, thats for sure. But Cleveland is just too Democrat. Colorado is another battle ground state but Denver has lots of looney liberals.I think KC gets the nod. Heartland of America and Mizzou is a state GOP will need to carry in 2016.Where are the Dems meeting? San Fran? Hollywood? Greenwich Village? I know...how about Detroit, the epic failure of liberalism.

Here's the list of potential DNC cities:

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville

No idea why they'd have it in Nashville...that seems like a waste. I'd really recommend Columbus or Cleveland. If not there then maybe Miami.

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville

No idea why they'd have it in Nashville...that seems like a waste. I'd really recommend Columbus or Cleveland. If not there then maybe Miami.
HAS to be DETROIT, it being the SHINING example of just how WELL libroid policies and agendas work... pfft... :lol:

Atlanta
Chicago
Cleveland
Columbus
Detroit
Indianapolis
Las Vegas
Miami
Nashville

It's not out of the realm of possibility that BOTH major parties pick Ohio for their respective conventions, with the GOP holding it's convention in Cleveland and the Democrats holding theirs in Columbus.

Now, some Righties pooh-pooh the idea of Cleveland because Cuyahoga County is indeed a massive Democratic stronghold. In 1984, Mondale carried Cuhahoga County (and five other counties) by a landslide. You have to go to 1972 to find a year where a Republican won Cuyahoga County: Nixon won here +1.79%. You then have to go back to 1952 and 1956 to again find a Republican who won Cuyahoga County: Eisenhower - both times.

But the margins are important. In a tight race in Ohio, the slimmer the Democratic margin in this county, the better a GOP candidate's chance of winning the state, so if a convention in Cuyahoga County would help to shave off some of the D - margin in Cleveland, perhaps it would be worth it.

Obama won Cuyahoga County by +40 in 2012 and by +38.7 in 2008 (he improved upon his statistic here in 2012). John Kerry won Cuyahoga County by +33.8% in 2004. Had John Kerry won that county by +40 in 2004, he would have likely carried the state. So, part of Bush's plan in 2004 was to get massive GOP margins in RED counties and hold down Democratic margins in BLUE counties, and his plan worked.

From a strategic viewpoint, picking Cleveland for a Convention could pay the GOP dividends.

Ohio is a battleground state, but I think the Democrats will choose Detroit (highlight federal aid to auto industry a.k.a "big government works") or Indianapolis. Democrats think they can win Indiana in the future and they did go to Charlotte last time based on same thinking. America's heartland would take some of the edge off Dem's being the party of large urban areas and minorities.

Ohio is a battleground state, but I think the Democrats will choose Detroit (highlight federal aid to auto industry a.k.a "big government works") or Indianapolis. Democrats think they can win Indiana in the future and they did go to Charlotte last time based on same thinking. America's heartland would take some of the edge off Dem's being the party of large urban areas and minorities.

Demographically, there is in many ways almost no difference between Ohio and Indiana, except Ohio has TWO more very large cities than Indiana. Were Indiana to have just one more large metropolis, it would already be a competitive state, but it has a very long and very loyal GOP voting record. A Democrat has won the Hoosier state only 5 times in the last 114 years:

Wilson 1912
FDR 1932, 1936
LBJ 1964
Obama 2008.

What most people do NOT know is that in the Gilded Age, Indiana was a "swing" state.

Here:

Statistikhengst's ELECTORAL POLITICS - 2013 and beyond: ELECTORAL COLUMNS - a map display

See:

Map VI-C: the Gilded Age "6ers" plus 5-and-4-of-6 states (1876-1892)

Indianapolis could be an interesting pick for the DEMS, but I am betting on Columbus being the pick.

Hope that extra information was helpful to you.

Greets,

-Stat

Forum List

Back