The Goodness of the 1950s

Whitehall, you have no case. The Tonkin Gulf resolution had nothing to do with hating their country. Knowledgeable Americans, right and left, blame the presidents from Eisenhower to Nixon for taking so long to abandon American support for European colonialism.

When you talk about liberals like that, you sound like a fascist. Really, learn the terms.

Americans (but not Veterans) still loved Truman even after the Korean debacle and they loved Eisenhower and they even loved a papist president who may or may not have used his Dad's sleazy Chicago connections to win the election. The love for America turned to hate after LBJ got us into VietNam. Ironically when the US finally won the war after Tet, LBJ quit the fight on national TV and and it gave the NVA new energy. The embarrassed media managed to focus the hatred and anger on the new republican president and sleaze bag LBJ retired to Texas.

Horsecrap. Any hate Americans developed was for folks like you to the far right who try to revise history. Americans still feel that way.

Last edited:
The only reason I have locks on my windows is so the monkeys don't come in and steal my shit. NO. Not THAT :eusa_shhh:kind, this kind.The mantles don't steal. These do. They're Jewish. See whats on their heads ? :eusa_pray:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTf_ZEDXHj0]White Faced Capuchin Monkeys in Costa Rica - YouTube[/ame]

And from that superior era ....spawned the hippies and race wars.

I never thought of that...i was born in 1953, my high school years were 1967, graduated in 1971. I guess i really didn't think alot about it because i wasn't like the hippies and no problem with other races.

all my dreams of the50s are in black and white

thats because you drink to much.....get help....

The cars.
The music.
The swinsuits.
The freedom that lay just ahead.

The beach parties.
The fires by the lake.
The boys.
The dangers that lay just ahead.

I loved those days. I can't apologize for loving those days. Pretty much all of my days that came after entailed suffering of some kind. Anyone who wants to begrudge those of us who love that time the good days we had can blow it out your ass. You're just jealous!
With all the problems of the fifties, I look back longingly at those days, but then again I'm probably getting a bit senile. We see those days as simpler, happier times, but were they really or is it just that we don't remember the bad things?
I don't know anymore, Flopper. A simpler time; maybe better; or at least, better than when I came back from 'Nam. At least over there, I knew what I was fighting for; back here, somehow it wasn't home anymore, and never has felt quite right since. I guess you really can't go home again....
What I remember most about the 50's is the Korean War. My older brother was there in the thick of it. It was all the family seem to talk about. It cost the lives of 36,000 US service men, yet it was called a police action, not a real war. It became the first of many military campaign whose objective was never to destroy the enemy, but rather to attain some limited objective.

Never lived in the them, segregation, Cold War, fewer libraries, and class bias don't seem great to me. LESS NOISE dies, but I still do not see silent traffic.

when you could leave your doors unlocked.

A totally superior era in which to live - maybe the best of all time or that ever will be..................

sure it was just walk thru a graveyard and see the graves of infants ....polio that was a great time now wasnt it?

o yea and the babies that died of rh factor.....good times....good times

In the fifties, if you said you were a conservative, people would most likely think you were working to preserve the forest and the wildlife. In politics a conservative was really a traditionalist, someone who simply wanted to move slowly and preserve the past. Unlike today, there were liberal republicans and conservative democrats. Often legislation was pasted by coalitions of democrats and republicans, something we don't see much of today.

If you were white it was a great decade. Otherwise...not so great.
We know, but that all changed and it was good that it did, but for white culture aside from that issue, it was peaceful and good for most of the families and their children back then.

A totally superior era in which to live - maybe the best of all time or that ever will be..................

sure it was just walk thru a graveyard and see the graves of infants ....polio that was a great time now wasnt it?

True there was death and desease that was not understood back then, but if you were healthy, and was well as a family in that time period, it was a peaceful and friendly time that was found amongst the majority within the white culture, and within the black culture as well, even so the whites came out of that time period looking to help the blacks more and more due their peacful and Godly upbringing from that period, because they (the whites) were God fearing well manored people the most of them (minus a few groups who were bad news), and be it so the good whites honored their wives, children, and friends with dignity and integridy the most of them. Their children became the next generation of folks, who wished no harm to anyone as a result of living in such a promoted peaceful white culture & lifestyle back then, in which was found amongst the majority of white families who lived in that time period.

Their children were those who went forth to right the wrongs of those small groups who did evil deeds amongst them back in the day, and sadly they tried to do it in the "white" peoples name, for whom these bad people went about doing wrong to others, against those whom were also Americans just as well in this nation (i.e. the black folk). If it were not for God being in many white peoples lives strongly back in the day, there is no telling what this nation would have become or looked like today for the black people. Thank God we have all found our way in this nation somehow, and have been abe to live in peace and in harmony the most of us for quite along time or period now together in America.

Uh, lets try and keep it that way ok ? God Bless America !

Last edited:

Under Eisenhower, the middle class was growing, parents pushed "science" and the tax rate on the wealthiest Americans was more than 90% and no one called it "class envy".

True there was death and desease that was not understood back then, but if you were healthy, and was well as a family in that time period, it was a peaceful and friendly time that was found amongst the majority within the white culture, and within the black culture as well, even so the whites came out of that time period looking to help the blacks more and more due their peacful and Godly upbringing from that period, because they (the whites) were God fearing well manored people the most of them (minus a few groups who were bad news), and be it so the good whites honored their wives, children, and friends with dignity and integridy the most of them. Their children became the next generation of folks, who wished no harm to anyone as a result of living in such a promoted peaceful white culture & lifestyle back then, in which was found amongst the majority of white families who lived in that time period.

Their children were those who went forth to right the wrongs of those small groups who did evil deeds amongst them back in the day, and sadly they tried to do it in the "white" peoples name, for whom these bad people went about doing wrong to others, against those whom were also Americans just as well in this nation (i.e. the black folk). If it were not for God being in many white peoples lives strongly back in the day, there is no telling what this nation would have become or looked like today for the black people. Thank God we have all found our way in this nation somehow, and have been abe to live in peace and in harmony the most of us for quite along time or period now together in America.

Memories are always selective. We remember moments not days, events not history. The fifties laid the groundwork for the 60’s and the tumultuous changes that followed.

Race discrimination was not just acceptable, but the law in many parts of the country supported it. A mixed race couple was likely to find themselves ostracized from society. In the south, schools were segregated; the whites went to the good schools and the blacks went to the poor schools.

It was not just legal to pay a women half what you paid a man for the same work, it was to be expected. Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen was the future for most women from poor families.

Sex was hidden away in the bedroom, something that wasn't discussed in public and certainly not in the classroom or in mixed company. Unwed mothers were scorned by society for their evil deeds. The fathers rarely shared the blame. Child and spouse abuse was common, but hidden away as was incest and homosexuality. In fact, the treatment for most of societies problems was to ignore them and pretend they didn't exist. For many people, the 50's were a happy time as long as you didn't scratch beneath the surface.

Such hypocrisies of the 50’s were not to be ignored by the young people in the 60’s. This brought about monumental changes, some good and some bad.

The fact is that white society just looked the other way and wondered why blacks couldn't just get along like the always had.

Whites ignored their religious teachings and were just fine with a society that rewarded white males only

The dont make waves, look the other way society led the way to the tumultuous sixties

In the south, schools were segregated; the whites went to the good schools and the blacks went to the poor schools.

In some states African American children attended school fewer hours each day as compared to white students – clearly a policy designed to keep black children ignorant, in addition to segregated.

Unwed mothers were scorned by society for their evil deeds.

In some cases unwed mothers were ‘sent away’ to have their children, and coerced into giving them up for adoption.

Yes, the 50s were a wonderful time.

Memories are always selective. We remember moments not days, events not history. The fifties laid the groundwork for the 60’s and the tumultuous changes that followed.

Race discrimination was not just acceptable, but the law in many parts of the country supported it. A mixed race couple was likely to find themselves ostracized from society. In the south, schools were segregated; the whites went to the good schools and the blacks went to the poor schools.

It was not just legal to pay a women half what you paid a man for the same work, it was to be expected. Barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen was the future for most women from poor families.

Sex was hidden away in the bedroom, something that wasn't discussed in public and certainly not in the classroom or in mixed company. Unwed mothers were scorned by society for their evil deeds. The fathers rarely shared the blame. Child and spouse abuse was common, but hidden away as was incest and homosexuality. In fact, the treatment for most of societies problems was to ignore them and pretend they didn't exist. For many people, the 50's were a happy time as long as you didn't scratch beneath the surface.

Such hypocrisies of the 50’s were not to be ignored by the young people in the 60’s. This brought about monumental changes, some good and some bad.
Yes back then many things were hidden beneath the surface, in order to promote the better good out in the public as it was thought to be, but like you say, if one scratched beneath that surface, there was alot of work to be done for sure.

The problem with today, is that we want to air out all our dirty laundry right into the streets, regardless of what message it sends to the children or what damaging effects it has on the betterement of society as a whole, because people are just selfish these days, and don't care what damage is caused by the airing out of our dirty laundry into the streets (creating this anything goes society as a result of. Instead of daring it (the bad part) to come out into the open as it was back in those days, it is now invited these days to come out ito the open.

However, racism needed desperately to come out, and to be worked on out in the open for sure, but the other (((((bad stuff))))) needed not to hitch a ride out of the closet, by clinging to the race issue as a disquise, yet sadly that is exactly what Mr. Bad Stuff has done (got a free ticket to ride).

Last edited:

Forum List

Back