The Goodness of the 1950s

I wasnt bron in the 50's

What i do remember is that the children of he 50's turned into the ass holes of the 60 and 70 who shit canned san francisco.

Yeah, we saw all that stuff on TV. In black and white. It was still the 50s here! :clap2:

i got to see a good deal of of it up close and personal.... and in living color..... the 50's did not produce much of anything good in my opinion.

We were far removed from all that stuff. We were glad about it too.

Yep, but with the polio epidemics, segregation, women's place - pregnant barefoot and in the kitchen, backstreet abortions, the cold war, threat of nuclear attacks, life expectancy 5 years less than today, a cancer diagnosis - a death sentence, treatment for heath disease- retire and wait to die, no computer in the home, no cable TV, no color tv, Ozzie & Harriet, I Love Lucy, Elvis, and no cell phones. Other than that it was just great. I was there.

The cars.
The music.
The swinsuits.
The freedom that lay just ahead.

The beach parties.
The fires by the lake.
The boys.
The dangers that lay just ahead.

I loved those days. I can't apologize for loving those days. Pretty much all of my days that came after entailed suffering of some kind. Anyone who wants to begrudge those of us who love that time the good days we had can blow it out your ass. You're just jealous!
With all the problems of the fifties, I look back longingly at those days, but then again I'm probably getting a bit senile. We see those days as simpler, happier times, but were they really or is it just that we don't remember the bad things?

A period of calm after the Great Depression and WW2.

And before the turmoil of the 1960s.

The cars.
The music.
The swinsuits.
The freedom that lay just ahead.

The beach parties.
The fires by the lake.
The boys.
The dangers that lay just ahead.

I loved those days. I can't apologize for loving those days. Pretty much all of my days that came after entailed suffering of some kind. Anyone who wants to begrudge those of us who love that time the good days we had can blow it out your ass. You're just jealous!
With all the problems of the fifties, I look back longingly at those days, but then again I'm probably getting a bit senile. We see those days as simpler, happier times, but were they really or is it just that we don't remember the bad things?

Of course, those of us who came of age then had no real responsibilities, as the new animal, 'the American teenager' was the latest invention which started just after WWII. I remember the post war baby boom. You could go to town and every woman you saw was pregnant. No birth control in those days. I had a poor and difficult childhood, but by 8th grade I could earn my own money, buy clothes, and do things. So I had the means to get into the pop culture of the day. I had a ball and enjoyed it beyond any adequate description.

But the 60s which followed were the days to develop a 'social conscience' even if you were far removed from things. So, I chose a difficult and painful path in life in order to live a life of service. Was talking to a friend of mine last night about some of the things I've seen in my profession and told her why I don't argue certain issues with people, and that is simply because people who have not seen the things I have tend to believe those things do not exist. And you can't make believers out of them.

Would I go back to those carefree days just for a little while? In a heartbeat! Do I regret what I chose to do with my life, not for a minute! I guess that's why I love class reunions whereas so many people hate them. My friends remember the young and carefree me. And for a few hours, I can recapture the feeling.

I can tell all of you who are claiming the present is so great because of 'strides' having been made over the last few years that you, too, are out of touch with the total reality of the current times. You, yourselves, are only in touch with your own reality, because there are still a LOT of people today who do not experience 'their birthright of freedom, equality, and liberty' as you call it - all over the world, and in this country as well. For yourselves, today is the new 50s. You think all that's left is a little mopping up. You are wrong.

Last edited:
More privacy and less noise in the 1950s.

Like those irritating beeps that unattended cars give out for no reason.

when you could leave your doors unlocked.

A totally superior era in which to live - maybe the best of all time or that ever will be..................

yeah... the good ole days of segregation, back alley abortions and the cold war.

:thup:

Just like any time in history, there's the good and the bad.

I was born in 1953...so i really don't remember a lot about that era. The 1960's were my time to grow and learn. I was never one of the hippies, or the drug users, although i had really wished i could have gone to Woodstock!!! We had a place in town called The Note, and we had some really big bands there. Except, at the time i didn't realize they were so big...i was one of the girls that went there just to have fun, hang out with friends, sneak out and drink a little wine. I wish i would have paid more attention! :)

A totally superior era in which to live - maybe the best of all time or that ever will be..................

yeah... the good ole days of segregation, back alley abortions and the cold war.

I was born in 1953...so i really don't remember a lot about that era. The 1960's were my time to grow and learn. I was never one of the hippies, or the drug users, although i had really wished i could have gone to Woodstock!!! We had a place in town called The Note, and we had some really big bands there. Except, at the time i didn't realize they were so big...i was one of the girls that went there just to have fun, hang out with friends, sneak out and drink a little wine. I wish i would have paid more attention! :)

I just got notice of my 40th HS reunion - times flies.

Went to the 10 and 20 year ones (wasn't a 30th)

May take a flyer on this .......

The tax rate was at 90%. People had money. The middle class was strong and growing. Kids studied science and wanted to get an education, it wasn't just for snobs.

I went to my 40th last summer...it was the first reunion i'd been to!!! And i was sooo glad i went. I talked myself out of it like 5 times before the date arrived....and i really had a lot of fun. I'm still in contact with a lot of old friends now on Facebook... :)

I went to my 40th last summer...it was the first reunion i'd been to!!! And i was sooo glad i went. I talked myself out of it like 5 times before the date arrived....and i really had a lot of fun. I'm still in contact with a lot of old friends now on Facebook... :)

I am thinking meeting people who are about 60 ..............

ok.....................

If you were a middle class white male, the times were good. For anybody else, you are crazy.

I havent dededed yet if I will go to the 40th ,

I had a cruchs on this girl

Saw her briefly on the 20th

These people are propably old-looking ( and mostlly successfullu happy)

Forum List

Back