The Goodness of the 1950s

I don't care when you were born if you leave your doors unlocked, you're an idiot.

Yup! Even though locks barely slow down professionals, it changes things legally for the police & your insurance if you did not lock your doors on home or car or left the keys in the car. It's the difference between burglary and theft. Breaking & entering or just entering. Young teens & someone you know are the most likely thief. Locks stop the majority of them until they get better at burglary.

It was all about attitude. People didn't learn to hate their Country until LBJ invented the fraudulent "Tonkin Gulf Crisis" that got us into VeitNam. Of course the liberal media trained Americans to blame Nixon.

when you could leave your doors unlocked.

A totally superior era in which to live - maybe the best of all time or that ever will be..................

Especially for the non whites. Imagine how fun it was for them back then.

Ah yes, the good ol days.

when you could leave your doors unlocked.

A totally superior era in which to live - maybe the best of all time or that ever will be..................

Especially for the non whites. Imagine how fun it was for them back then.

Ah yes, the good ol days.

Was great for the women, too. They got to stay at home all day while their husbands were out cheating on them.

The cars.
The music.
The swinsuits.
The freedom that lay just ahead.

The beach parties.
The fires by the lake.
The boys.
The dangers that lay just ahead.

I loved those days. I can't apologize for loving those days. Pretty much all of my days that came after entailed suffering of some kind. Anyone who wants to begrudge those of us who love that time the good days we had can blow it out your ass. You're just jealous!
With all the problems of the fifties, I look back longingly at those days, but then again I'm probably getting a bit senile. We see those days as simpler, happier times, but were they really or is it just that we don't remember the bad things?
I don't know anymore, Flopper. A simpler time; maybe better; or at least, better than when I came back from 'Nam. At least over there, I knew what I was fighting for; back here, somehow it wasn't home anymore, and never has felt quite right since. I guess you really can't go home again....

It was all about attitude. People didn't learn to hate their Country until LBJ invented the fraudulent "Tonkin Gulf Crisis" that got us into VeitNam. Of course the liberal media trained Americans to blame Nixon.

You sound exactly like the fascists of the American extremists on the right that hated FDR.

What is wrong with you people? You are emotionally ill.

A period of calm after the Great Depression and WW2.

A period of racism, McCarthyism, and fear.

And before the turmoil of the 1960s.

And from that turmoil a Great Nation finally began to realize its greatness, as millions of her citizens at long last realized their birthright of freedom, equality, and liberty.
Yeah, except somewhere in there, we threw out the good, as well as the bad; I know you can't make an omelet, without breaking some eggs, but did we really have to smash the whole henhouse? Things are different, that's for sure. Better? I guess it depends on your point of view. I get the feeling that somehow, we tried to do something and botched it. I wonder if we really did anything but shift the same old problems and hatreds around.

You sound exactly like the fascists of the American extremists on the right that hated FDR.

What is wrong with you people? You are emotionally ill.

When you don't have an argument ...call the opponent a fascist and pretend you aren't the one who is emotionally ill. I rest my case about lefties.

Whitehall, you have no case. The Tonkin Gulf resolution had nothing to do with hating their country. Knowledgeable Americans, right and left, blame the presidents from Eisenhower to Nixon for taking so long to abandon American support for European colonialism.

When you talk about liberals like that, you sound like a fascist. Really, learn the terms.

So where did all the good intentions go so horribly wrong? Did we go too far in some things, and not far enough in others? Did we try to change too many things at once?Was it a missed opportunity, or something beyond our control? How did a decade that began with so much promise(and really did accomplish a lot) end up in a conflict that still is being played out today. The older I get, the less sure I am of the answers.

I was thinking as I read through this thread, of the irony that back then I spent a year wondering if I was going to die in a strange land I didn't really understand.....and now after all these years, I'm going to die here at home, in a strange land I don't really understand anymore.

The Gadfly, I feel much the same way at times, about back then and about now. However, I feel better about many things in our country than I did back then. But, yes, some of the certainties and customs of my childhood were special and give me comfort in my memory of them.

That is a world, for better and for worse, that is long gone.

I suspect the Revolutionary and Civil War generations felt the same as they became elderly.

Whitehall, you have no case. The Tonkin Gulf resolution had nothing to do with hating their country. Knowledgeable Americans, right and left, blame the presidents from Eisenhower to Nixon for taking so long to abandon American support for European colonialism.

When you talk about liberals like that, you sound like a fascist. Really, learn the terms.

Americans (but not Veterans) still loved Truman even after the Korean debacle and they loved Eisenhower and they even loved a papist president who may or may not have used his Dad's sleazy Chicago connections to win the election. The love for America turned to hate after LBJ got us into VietNam. Ironically when the US finally won the war after Tet, LBJ quit the fight on national TV and and it gave the NVA new energy. The embarrassed media managed to focus the hatred and anger on the new republican president and sleaze bag LBJ retired to Texas.

Forum List

Back