The GAME Blame!

Deornwulf said:
Merlin - I think it a bit unfair to compare my statement about video games to the tactics of the Tobacco Companies. When I say there is no hard evidence, it is not the research of the video game companies to which I am referring but the inability of anyone studying violent behavior to find scientific evidence to support the notion that a violent video game caused or was even a factor in causing violent behavior.

Don't take that personally. I wasn't singling out your statement in particular. I was taking aim at the philosophy of denial where we simply ignore the influence of violent stimuli on an individual. And I'm not saying that violent video games CAUSED this kid to behave as he did. But I do believe that there is definitely a contributory link in there somewhere.

Merlin1047 said:
I'm going to have to accuse you all of taking too simplistic a view of this situation.

I'm not saying ban the games. I am saying that 16 is way too young to "play" this kind of crap. To me, games like these should be restricted to persons over 21. Personally, I'd rather see no one buy the damn things so that they would eventually simply go away. Not likely that will ever happen.

I agree with you on this issue. I dont understand the interest in this sort of video game. I defintely would want to keep this kind of material out of the reach of kids....I would hope adults would find no interest in it at all. I do not favor censorship so I cannot ask for it on this issue. I just cant account for anyone playing a game where you kill prostitutes to get your money back, the quicker the better. If you can explain it to me Im listening.
As to the guilt of the teenager, he did the crime and he should be punished to the full (and adult) extent that the law allows, another victim of unfortunate circumstances.

Forum List

Back