The French healthcare system

As a crude indicator, one can use the difference in health care’s share of GDP between the United States and similar countries to gauge the magnitude of inefficiency.

Looking at the average for Canada, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Britain, and France, it appears that the amount of resources devoted to health care in the United States that may be due to inefficiency is roughly 5 percent of GDP (15.3 percent in the United States in 2006, versus 9.6 percent, the average for the six comparison countries, all of which have better health outcomes).

28 Put another way, judging from the spending and outcomes in other countries, efficiency improvements in the U.S. health care system potentially could free up resources equal to 5 percent of U.S. GDP. This is, however, only a rough measure. It may well be that because of other differences between the various countries the true level is smaller. But, this estimate is a useful guidepost.29​

Further evidence that the high level of spending in the United States reflects inefficiency​

source

There are no statistical indicators I can think that in any way suggests that the Aemrican HC delivery system is even remotely more efficient or offers better HC than the HC delivery systems of Europe.

You guys who imagine otherwise, those of you who imagine that the USA system is efficient or deliverers better HC outcomes, are quite simply WRONG.

Last edited:
The French are also leading in medicine and science at this time.

Sweden has a good system as well.
Emigrate to France or Sweden.

Problem solved.
I'd move tomorrow, but the dollar depreciated greatly while Bush Jr. was in the White House.
Bullshit.

And if you think the USD depreciation was bad then, just wait 'til the trillions of dollars get printed up out of thin air to cover the current spend-a-thon.

Now, pack up and get the fuck out.

As a crude indicator, one can use the difference in health care’s share of GDP between the United States and similar countries to gauge the magnitude of inefficiency.

Looking at the average for Canada, Germany, Japan, Sweden, Britain, and France, it appears that the amount of resources devoted to health care in the United States that may be due to inefficiency is roughly 5 percent of GDP (15.3 percent in the United States in 2006, versus 9.6 percent, the average for the six comparison countries, all of which have better health outcomes).

28 Put another way, judging from the spending and outcomes in other countries, efficiency improvements in the U.S. health care system potentially could free up resources equal to 5 percent of U.S. GDP. This is, however, only a rough measure. It may well be that because of other differences between the various countries the true level is smaller. But, this estimate is a useful guidepost.29​

I am certain that if you learn a marketable skill and become gainfully employed that you will be able to afford health insurance.

Further evidence that the high level of spending in the United States reflects inefficiency​

source

There are no statistical indicators I can think that in any way suggests that the Aemrican HC delivery system is even remotely more efficient or offers better HC than the HC delivery systems of Europe.

You guys who imagine otherwise, those of you who imagine that the USA system is efficient or deliverers better HC outcomes, are quite simply WRONG.

I am certain that if you learn a marketable skill and become gainfully employed that you will be able to afford health insurance.

The French are also leading in medicine and science at this time.

Sweden has a good system as well.

Problem solved.
I'd move tomorrow, but the dollar depreciated greatly while Bush Jr. was in the White House.

Sept. 9 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar dropped to the weakest level in almost a year against the currencies of six major U.S. trading partners as record low borrowing costs encouraged investors to sell the greenback and buy higher-yielding assets.

Dollar Falls to Lowest in Almost Year on Borrowing Costs

Ame®icano;1498498 said:
There are many benefits of French healthcare systems. But that system also has it's flaws.

About 25% of French national income goes to their social security that also covers healthcare. System is in constant deficit and result in additional annual levy in order to keep it running, while is covering 83% of population.

We can't have French model for the following reasons:

*French government is afraid of the French people, US government is not afraid of anyone, especially of the American people
*French government is not spending social security revenue on anything but social security (healthcare included), US social security and other government run programs are broke
*French doctor earnings are controlled by the government (up to $100K), US doctor earnings are limited only by their expertise (better doctor you are, more you earn), for example, French doctor earn two times more then their national average, while US doctor earn five times more then US nat'l average
Thomas Jefferson would disagree about the government not being afraid.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

And you really think that todays government fears it's people?

Ame®icano;1499234 said:

Problem solved.

Sept. 9 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar dropped to the weakest level in almost a year against the currencies of six major U.S. trading partners as record low borrowing costs encouraged investors to sell the greenback and buy higher-yielding assets.

Dollar Falls to Lowest in Almost Year on Borrowing Costs
True, the dollar has gone down, but the euro went from about 85 cents to well over $1.50 under Bush Jr.

It's not merely a coincidence that the right has ignored the French model of universal healthcare.

What is no coincidence that the left is ignoring the problems of the French system. It is financially unsustainable and losing money by the millions.

Again Chris uses a rather stupid piece of evidence to support universal health care. He has tried, disingenuously and dishonestly to link a countries life expectancy with the quality of it's health care system. The fact is your life expectancy has more to do with genetics and the life style choices you make. Yet another attempt by the left to blame anyone and everyone but themselves for a problem.

Ame®icano;1498498 said:
There are many benefits of French healthcare systems. But that system also has it's flaws.

About 25% of French national income goes to their social security that also covers healthcare. System is in constant deficit and result in additional annual levy in order to keep it running, while is covering 83% of population.

We can't have French model for the following reasons:

*French government is afraid of the French people, US government is not afraid of anyone, especially of the American people
*French government is not spending social security revenue on anything but social security (healthcare included), US social security and other government run programs are broke
*French doctor earnings are controlled by the government (up to $100K), US doctor earnings are limited only by their expertise (better doctor you are, more you earn), for example, French doctor earn two times more then their national average, while US doctor earn five times more then US nat'l average

Almost everything in your post is false.

We can do whatever we want to do, so stop whinning.

French doctors make less because there are more of them. Supply and demand.

The reason there are more of them is that medical schools are free in France.

Healthcare costs are also cheaper there because they limit doctor liability.

And social security is not broke, although the Republicans would like to be, so they could give all the money to their buddies on Wall Street.

I don't know if you just got your SS statement in the mail, but mine came yesterday. No the system isn't broke, but it's close enough. By 2017 it is set to be giving more than it takes in. By 2041 it will be broke.

The one part that is not wrong is that the French system is indeed hemoragging money. And we all know now what happens to systems where people continue to spend money they don't have.

However, I'm an objective dude and there definately are parts of the French system I like. For example having full fledged doctors on ambulence calls and ambulences that are basically mini hospitals on wheels. Now the challenge is would such a system work here? Again I emphasize just because it works there does not inherently mean it will work here.

Last edited:
It's not merely a coincidence that the right has ignored the French model of universal healthcare.

What is no coincidence that the left is ignoring the problems of the French system. It is financially unsustainable and losing money by the millions.

If the French system is "financially unsustainable" what would you call a system that costs almost 50% more per capita, and whose costs are growing at a higher rate?

Like, oh, the US system?

I mean sure, by all means be aware of the issues that would still be faced if the US adopted the French system, no system is ever going to be perfect and keeping an eye on the flaws to make sure they're kept under control is well and good... but bitching about the "financial sustainability" of a system that blows the one you're currently using right out of the water on that particular measurement? That's just silly.

If the French system is "financially unsustainable" what would you call a system that costs almost 50% more per capita, and whose costs are growing at a higher rate?

Like, oh, the US system?

I mean sure, by all means be aware of the issues that would still be faced if the US adopted the French system, no system is ever going to be perfect and keeping an eye on the flaws to make sure they're kept under control is well and good... but bitching about the "financial sustainability" of a system that blows the one you're currently using right out of the water on that particular measurement? That's just silly.

French healthcare is 'badly run'

France must make big changes to its health system in order to cut waste and increase efficiency, a government-commissioned report is warning.

The report says citizens must pay more and doctors must alter their behaviour.

Failure to do so could add 66 billion euros a year to France's public budget deficit by 2020, it adds

France must make big changes to its health system in order to cut waste and increase efficiency, a government-commissioned report is warning.

Failure to do so could add 66 billion euros a year to France's public budget deficit by 2020, it adds

Ummm.... and?

Yes, the French have some cost issues to deal with. So do most other nations. But the US has the worst. And not by a little bit either, by a LOT. Trading the US cost problems for the French cost problems would be a giant improvement. Get it? Is this sinking in? Perhaps a couple visual aids?

10-02-01-g1.gif

econgraphic3.jpg

See how the US is way off by itself on both of those? That's not because it's 'winning' or something. This getting through at all?

Ummm.... and?

Yes, the French have some cost issues to deal with. So do most other nations. But the US has the worst. And not by a little bit either, by a LOT. Trading the US cost problems for the French cost problems would be a giant improvement. Get it? Is this sinking in? Perhaps a couple visual aids?

10-02-01-g1.gif

econgraphic3.jpg

See how the US is way off by itself on both of those? That's not because it's 'winning' or something. This getting through at all?

You are missing the point Vernon.

I do not favor the present system that we have in the US - I favor a free market system - meaning : NO government regulations and abolishing medicaid and medicare.

I do not favor the present system that we have in the US - I favor a free market system - meaning : NO government regulations and abolishing medicaid and medicare.

Ah yes. The "every other nation acheives lower costs with higher public sector involvement... therefore let's run as fast as we can in the opposite direction, that'll totally work!" approach.

Never hear enough about that one.

Ah yes. The "every other nation acheives lower costs with higher public sector involvement... therefore let's run as fast as we can in the opposite direction, that'll totally work!" approach.

No government regulations. I guess cloning is in!!!! And let's head to China and buy us some livers!!!

Ask you parents how much they paid for a doctor's visit prior to 1965 - prior to Medicaid/medicare going into effect.

France: Smaller than Texas, does NOT have 15 MM Illegal Aliens, and then there's this:

"In response to rising malpractice premiums, France has moved to a Scandinavian compensation system (I'll explain why it's called "Scandinavian" whenever Ezra covers the Swedish health care system).

Under the French implementation of the Scandinavian system, wronged patients bring claims before their regions' government-appointed review board which is responsible for determining if compensation is in order and, if so, how much. For a patient to get paid, the board does not have to find the doctor at fault, or that medical negligence caused whatever pain and suffering the patient is experiencing. Money for patient relief comes from a national compensation fund, which presumably gets its cash either from a dedicated tax insurance premium placed on doctors and hospitals, or from general fund revenues. The closest analogy to this sort of system in the United States would be workers' compensation funds that many states run. The goal of such systems is not to find fault or establish causation as much as it is to provide a bit of compensation to workers who are injured on the job."

Medical Malpractice Policy: France

Ask you parents how much they paid for a doctor's visit prior to 1965 - prior to Medicaid/medicare going into effect.

Are you kidding?

Sure, I'll go do that. While I'm at it I'll ask them how much a candy bar cost too then be shocked and amazed at the answer to that.

They have ignored it because the French system is better than ours. It is a great model for everyone.

I like the fact that the French medical schools are free, so the French have more doctors per capita than we do.

pity there is nothing in the legislation to increase medical school studnets thus doctors.....how much is malpractice insurance in france....any idea what income taxes are in france.....how many people do they insure......

Are you kidding?

Why would I be?

Sure, I'll go do that. While I'm at it I'll ask them how much a candy bar cost too then be shocked and amazed at the answer to that.

The cost of healthcare rose IMMEDIATELY after medicaid / medicare went into effect. The federal government was willing to pay a lot more for a visit than the average patient could afford. You do the math.

An average visit back then cost a patient $3 to 5 dollars. But uncle Sam was willing to pay $35 or more per patient per visit. Go fig.

The cost of healthcare rose IMMEDIATELY after medicaid / medicare went into effect. The federal government was willing to pay a lot more for a visit than the average patient could afford. You do the math. .

How about I read the chart instead? And by that I mean the chart of health care costs in the US going back to 1960 that I JUST POSTED.

Show me the great big spike right around 1965 please. You know, when you say healthcare costs "rose IMMEDIATELY".

Are you blind, or do you just have severe short term memory issues? How did you think you were going to pull this off immediately after I had just finished posting that exact data?

Forum List

Back