The Every Other Path But Christian Thread

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Favorite poems, songs, books, texts related to your path or non-path.

I just finished reading, Death Must Die, by Ram Alexander. It is the diary of a woman who was a disciple of Anandamayi Ma, a Hindu saint, for 40 years. Atvananda had previously been a student of J. Krishnamurti. It is fascinating.

Ma's photo is my avatar.

Last edited:
Well, so far the only non-Christian religion we've had a post on is the religion of stupidity, if there is such a thing.

Here's something relating to my own path, which has no name, and I am the only follower of it. It has roots all over the place. This is a poem I wrote some years ago about my experiences with my totem guide, the dragon spirit.

Hymn to the Dragon Spirit

This mountain top is bare and cold, empty of life, save me
And you in me, my hard and pitiless friend, my savage fire.
Far below, the oblivious ones scamper through their fates,
Fireflies blinking on and off, alive, dead, alive,
And I among them, even as I stand atop this peak,
Equally pointless, equally blind, but for you in me.

You dazzled me that first night, when from the spirit smoke
You came in answer to the call my heart gave to the wind,
All night-blue scales, sinuous flesh, dancing sparks of fire,
Great moon-deep eyes that held my gaze and gave me promises
Of wisdom, secrets, mysteries, dreams, borne upon your wings,
Promises you've kept, with splendid ruthlessness and joy.

We think we want to know, but we do not. The truth is hard,
The heart is soft, and would be gently wrapped in foam of lies.
Soft love lies so. Your love is hard as diamond, sharp as fangs,
Furnace-hot with dragon-fire that banishes the mist
And leaves my soul no hiding place, no refuge from the truth.
Oh, aye! You brought me wisdom! Without pity or remorse.

But oh, to soar upon those wings into the sky,
My spirit merged with yours, to take my leave of gravity
And float from star to star upon the wind-ways of the mind!
To see the ages spread before me, eyes so full of fire
That naught can hide from me, to see in color in the night
When mortal eyes see only black and white, if see they do!

To breathe the Dragon-fire – yes, breathe it out, oh! That indeed,
But more to breathe it in, to sear away my mortal flesh
And mortal self, incinerating this-is-this and that-
Is-that, until all boundaries are gone, and all is One –
Is None – is once again the primal ab initio
Where hides that Peace we seek, but dare not venture where it is!

These are the gifts you give to me, the gifts you promised me
Those years ago, when in my dazzled youth I called to you
And loved your dreadful beauty and the magic in your eyes.
And though I understand the price now, yet I love you still,
For this is Dragon wisdom: price and purchased good are one,
And it's the paying that's the gift, and it's the gift that pays.

Sorry I read no religious or anti religious books.
I need no reinforcement for my beliefs or non beliefs as they may be to some.

• Banned
Tibetan Buddhist masters claim dragons exist in the clouds over our oceans.

Love the thread title.... it's a "No Christianity Allowed" thread.... what a loving attitude from the resident Christian Hater.

I just finished reading, Death Must Die, by Ram Alexander. It is the diary of a woman who was a disciple of Anandamayi Ma, a Hindu saint, for 40 years. Atvananda had previously been a student of J. Krishnamurti. It is fascinating.

Ma's photo is my avatar.

Favorite books? First, a copy of the Tao Te Ching that has not only the original Mangwari texts in it (faithfully translated directly from Chinese to English), but it also has commentaries on each of the verses by many of the great Chinese philosophers. It's got a blue cover with a red border and is translated by Red Pine. Great read if you like Tao.

As far as other books? Well........they're kinda related to the first. Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Illusions are 2 of my all time favorite books, as well as Og Mandino's Greatest Miracle in the World (Chapter 9 is my favorite), and his other book The Greatest Salesman in the World.

And.......because Judaic theology is very similar to Tao, I also like to watch a program on God's Learning Channel called Hidden in the Hebrew with Uri Harel. Great program if you're interested in the OT and finding out what the stories are actually about.

Basically? If there's truth in it, and it looks like it may help me understand that I'm not a human looking for a spiritual experience, but rather a spiritual being having a human experience, I'm willing to check it out.

• Banned
Love the thread title.... it's a "No Christianity Allowed" thread.... what a loving attitude from the resident Christian Hater.

I'm trying to give Christians here space and still explore spirituality. It wasn't meant to be unkind.

Most Christians here prefer I leave them alone. I wanted a thread I could post in without dealing with Christians who want me to bug off anyway. I don't want to fight with Christians. I think it's best we leave each other alone.

999% of all threads in the Religion Forum are about Christianity. Is it that big a deal that we have a thread once and awhile that doesn't?

Before I got into Buddhism, I explored Hinduism, Taoism, Mystic Judaism, Ba'ahi and a few other paths.

I'd like to talk to people who want to discuss religion OTHER THAN Christianity, for a change.

Last edited:

Ma's photo is my avatar.

Favorite books? First, a copy of the Tao Te Ching that has not only the original Mangwari texts in it (faithfully translated directly from Chinese to English), but it also has commentaries on each of the verses by many of the great Chinese philosophers. It's got a blue cover with a red border and is translated by Red Pine. Great read if you like Tao.

As far as other books? Well........they're kinda related to the first. Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull and Illusions are 2 of my all time favorite books, as well as Og Mandino's Greatest Miracle in the World (Chapter 9 is my favorite), and his other book The Greatest Salesman in the World.

And.......because Judaic theology is very similar to Tao, I also like to watch a program on God's Learning Channel called Hidden in the Hebrew with Uri Harel. Great program if you're interested in the OT and finding out what the stories are actually about.

Basically? If there's truth in it, and it looks like it may help me understand that I'm not a human looking for a spiritual experience, but rather a spiritual being having a human experience, I'm willing to check it out.

I've read Og Mandino and Richard Bach. Did you read Carlos Castaneda too?

I'm trying to give Christians here space and still explore spirituality. It wasn't meant to be unkind.

Most Christians here prefer I leave them alone. I wanted a thread I could post in without dealing with Christians who want me to bug off anyway. I don't want to fight with Christians. I think it's best we leave each other alone.

999% of all threads in the Religion Forum are about Christianity. Is it that big a deal that we have a thread once and awhile that doesn't?

Before I got into Buddhism, I explored Hinduism, Taoism, Mystic Judaism, Ba'ahi and a few other paths.

I'd like to talk to people who want to discuss religion OTHER THAN Christianity, for a change.
The vast majority of threads about Christianity are started by you Cammmmmmmmpbell and rdean and are all anti Christian in nature. Here ya go again.
Oh, by the way:
Just thought I'd let you know I'm not reading your visitor messages.

This is ONE thread in which the topic is Not about Christianity. All are welcome to discuss all other world religions on this thread.

Last edited:

I apologize Sky, but I have a question. I've read one can be both a Buddhist and a Christian? Your opinion if you wish.

I apologize Sky, but I have a question. I've read one can be both a Buddhist and a Christian? Your opinion if you wish.

My opinion is no. That said, Christians are free to practice Buddhist meditation if they choose to. We've had a Catholic priest study meditation with us.

Some Buddhist practices, such as the ones dealing with the transference of consciousness at death can be adapted to Christianity. One would use Jesus as the visualization or meditational deity.

You're usually either one or the other. Some of my friends are Jews and they celebrate Jewish holidays AND Buddhist ones.

There is a point in which all "isms" fall away.

The whole point of Buddhist meditation is to become a buddha, not a buddhist.

I don't understand why you're apologizing Peach. If you're a Christian, no problem. Christianity isn't the thread topic, but I rarely see anyone stick to the topic.

Last edited:

My opinion is no. That said, Christians are free to practice Buddhist meditation if they choose to. We've had a Catholic priest study meditation with us.

Some Buddhist practices, such as the ones dealing with the transference of consciousness at death can be adapted to Christianity. One would use Jesus as the visualization or meditational deity.

You're usually either one or the other. Some of my friends are Jews and they celebrate Jewish holidays AND Buddhist ones.

I don't understand why you're apologizing Peach. If you're a Christian, no problem. Christianity isn't the thread topic, but I rarely see anyone stick to the topic.

I am of the Christian faith but interested in all beliefs. I was taught when I was young: THERE IS GOOD IN ALL RELIGIONS, and to never, ever to be biased because of creed. I was STUNNED when I first read of Ghandi when young. For many post 1950 Americans, perhaps the first bit of Buddhist thought, TAINTED I would guess, came from Kerouac & "The Dharma Bums".

I am of the Christian faith but interested in all beliefs. I was taught when I was young: THERE IS GOOD IN ALL RELIGIONS, and to never, ever to be biased because of creed. I was STUNNED when I first read of Ghandi when young. For many post 1950 Americans, perhaps the first bit of Buddhist thought, TAINTED I would guess, came from Kerouac & "The Dharma Bums".
PS, if we leave each other alone, I fear we will not learn from one another.

Very well said!

Very well said!
Thank you Ernie; I will note also many Americans become concerned when China persecutes the Dalai Llama, and other Buddhists in China. On this issue conservatives are to be applauded. I've seen more conservative objections than of those not conservative. Once again, using the N word, K word, insults to the Catholic religion, or other religions was the beginning of a long, long lecture in my home. A young Buddhist self immolated today to protest oppression by China.

Your right to steer away from the truth. Good luck.

Forum List

Back