The Economist Magazine refers to Trump's tax scam as "twaddle"

browsing deer

Silver Member
Jul 11, 2015
in the forrest
Trump is as vague as a drunk about what loopholes he would close. Trouble is, every loophole is also a targeted tax cut with an entrenched constituency. I personally dislike almost all loopholes/targeted tax cuts (yeah, right..) but I realize killing them is next door to impossible. David Stockman, Reagan's budget director tried yeoman work to kill them. Stockman was gone in 15 months, and there were more of them at the end of Reagan's term than at the beginning.

"
Mr Trump does suggest some new sources of revenue. He would eliminate many tax deductions, most of which remain unspecified. In particular, the controversial “carried interest” deduction, beloved of partners in private equity firms and hedge funds, would go. This raises, perhaps, $1 billion-2 billion. But Mr Bush promised this too, so it was included in his costings. Mr Trump would cap the tax-deductibility of debt interest. But Mr Bush would abolish it altogether, saving more. The only part of Mr Trump’s plan which is clearly cheaper than Mr Bush’s pertains to the overseas profits of American corporations. Unlike Mr Bush, Mr Trump would keep taxing these earnings (though companies will no longer be able to defer paying until the money is brought back, ending the incentive to stash cash overseas).

Mr Trump is supposed to be a new kind of politician; a straight-talker who, freed from the usual constraints of politics by his billions, tells it like it is. But promising to fund tax cuts by closing unspecified loopholes is an old political wheeze. Mr Trump says the country’s “top” economists helped to develop his plan; alas, for now they remain anonymous. Any contributor would be wise to stay in the background. Mr Trump’s plan is twaddle.

"

• The Donald Trump Income Tax Calculator
    SavvyThis: Money ^ | 09/30/2015
    Did my best with the limited information available to calculate how much Federal Taxes you would owe under Trumps plan. Donald J. Trump’s Tax Plan This information may be inaccurate and is not meant in anyway as legal or tax advice. Nor is this calculator an endorsement of any candidate by Money.Savvythis.com. This calculator was purely meant for educational purposes and may contain inaccuracies.

With Tax Plan, Donald Is the New Ronald! (Go Trump!)

The Blaze ^ | 9/30/2015 | Wayne Root
Someone finally listened. I’ve been searching for the new Ronald Reagan to “Make America Great Again.” I’ve argued in my last four books and hundreds of commentaries that taxes are too damn high on America’s risk-takers, job creators and business owners. I’ve pleaded for a dramatic Reagan-esque tax cut to supercharge the economy and create millions of new jobs. I’ve been searching for a president who would reward the economic engine of America – SMALL BUSINESS. And reward the people who value work ethic, personal responsibility and rugged individualism, over cradle to grave government dependency. That was how Reagan created...

Larry Kudlow on Trump's Tax Plan: I Really Like It

Newsmax ^ | September 29,2015 | Larry Kudlow
Kudlow, who hosts his own syndicated radio show, has long championed a 15 percent corporate tax rate, but "I never thought I'd see a candidate do it. Special: Not Transferring a Credit Card Balance Is a Big Mistake "It'll give us a gigantic advantage. Bring capital and businesses to the U.S., make us the most hospitable place to invest — and that's what Donald Trump has done." Republicans are currently split over whether to defund Planned Parenthood in the budget talks, even if it could lead to another federal government shutdown. The 16-day partial closing of the government in 2012...

Grover Norquist Blesses Trump Tax Plan

USNEWS.com ^ | Sept. 29, 2015 | 7:22 a.m. EDT | By Kenneth T. Walsh
Anti-tax reformer says GOP front-runner's plan is 'pro-growth. Donald Trump's new tax plan has passed muster with Grover Norquist, an architect of the anti-tax movement and a major player in Republican politics. "This is a pro-growth, Reaganite plan," Norquist tells me, referring to President Ronald Reagan, a favorite of conservatives. "It's a good plan....It's Republican orthodoxy with a little twist here and there." As a political matter, Trump's announcement of a tax proposal marks a new phase of his Republican presidential campaign in which he will try to show he is serious about problem solving. Up to now, he hasn't...

Investor's Business Daily: Two Cheers For Trump's Pro-Growth Tax Plan

IBD ^ | 09/29/2015
Fiscal Policy: It isn't as ambitious as a flat tax or a national sales tax, but there's a surprising amount of sensible tax policy changes recommended in Donald Trump's tax reform plan released on Monday. He's proposing the biggest reduction in tax rates since the 1986 Tax Reform Act under Ronald Reagan, and like the Gipper's reforms, this plan would cover the costs by closing loopholes. So, bravo. Trump would cut tax rates across the board. The highest income tax rate would shrink from about 40% under current law to 25%. The top capital gains tax rate would be reduced...

Limbaugh: Trump Tax Plan Similar to Reagan's 1980s Tax Proposals

breitbart.com ^ | SEPTEMBER 28, 2015
Despite all the criticism the proposal has received from some elements on the right and in the GOP, Limbaugh explained that in a lot of ways, Trump’s plan is similar to Reagan's 1980s Tax Proposals Partial transcript as follows: Now, I went back, I mentioned to you that you can find, in the 1980s, you can find evidence of Ronald Reagan with similar tax proposals to what I have seen of the Trumpster’s. If you go back to May of 1985, after the first Reagan tax cuts, he proposed even more tax reform. He made a speech, and in the...

Mark Levin Gives Thumbs-Up on Donald Trump Tax Proposal: 'A Hell of a Plan'

breitbart.com ^ | 28 Sep 2015726
"This is a hell of a plan,” conservative radio host Mark Levin said Monday night about Donald Trump’s tax proposal, while admitting he disagrees with the GOP candidate in several areas. “Let me tell you the strong things in this,” he continued. “And he’s very specific for those who want specifics.” Levin explained: From seven tax brackets to four. And the top rate is 25%. The top rate now is 39.6%, but for some people it actually winds up being 43% thanks to the deal the Republicans made with Obama a few years ago. So, the Republican establishment types –...

Trump Plan Cuts Taxes for Millions

wsj.com ^ | Sept. 28, 2015
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump plans to unveil an ambitious tax plan Monday that he says would eliminate income taxes for millions of households, lower the tax rate on all businesses to 15% and change tax treatment of companies’ overseas earnings. Under the Trump plan, no federal income tax would be levied against individuals earning less than $25,000 and married couples earning less than $50,000. The Trump campaign estimates that would reduce taxes to zero for 31 million households that currently pay at least some income tax. The highest individual income-tax rate would be 25%, compared with the current 39.6%...

"Mr Trump is supposed to be a new kind of politician; a straight-talker who, freed from the usual constraints of politics by his billions, tells it like it is. But promising to fund tax cuts by closing unspecified loopholes is an old political wheeze. Mr Trump says the country’s “top” economists helped to develop his plan; alas, for now they remain anonymous. Any contributor would be wise to stay in the background. Mr Trump’s plan is twaddle."

True – as is Trump's 'campaign.'

Mr Trump is supposed to be a new kind of politician; a straight-talker who, freed from the usual constraints of politics by his billions, tells it like it is. But promising to fund tax cuts by closing unspecified loopholes is an old political wheeze. Mr Trump says the country’s “top” economists helped to develop his plan; alas, for now they remain anonymous. Any contributor would be wise to stay in the background. Mr Trump’s plan is twaddle.

"

The article comes from a Blog entitled Democracy in America that is one of many posted on The Economist. To claim that this was written by the Economist is somewhat misleading. The authors of the Blog have shown considerable sympathy for the Democratic agenda in earlier entries. Sadly the problem with The Economist Blogs is that you have to search for the source/authors of the information posted.

Forum List

Back