How They Lie About Lincoln

Discussion in 'Education' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    How They Lie About Lincoln by Thomas DiLorenzo

2. asgardshill

asgardshill BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Bravo! :clap2: Thanks for the link.

And I'll take this opportunity to reiterate that assigning a 21st Century mindset and morality to people of the 19th Century is an occupation fraught with peril and utter fail.

3. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206

I am not so sure. For instance I kind of have General Grant's attitude when I drive, drink up and mow them down.

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,931
    Ahh yes I remembered correctly, You think Lincoln was a criminal. THAT is the biggest lie of all. This article is bullshit of the finest grade. The Civil War was caused not by Lincoln but by the Souther5n States. Remind us again Kevin, WHO FIRED THE FIRST SHOT? Who raised an Army6 FIRST? Who was screaming to attack whom first?

Lincoln bent over backwards trying to avoid a war, he did not even raise an army until South Carolina ATTACKED Union Forces murdering them and seizing Federal Property. And the Property was unimportant as the Southern States had already seized other Federal Property. The final straw was the unprovoked murder of Federal troops. Not to mention the calls from the South for armed rebellion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,391
    Most would agree that Lincoln is dead, but you should see it on a Saturday night.

6. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206

A little historical trivia, Mark Twain started his career as a stand up comedian. His signature gag was when he used to dress up like Lincoln and lay on the stage with blood pouring out of his stove pipe hat and say "A head divided against itself can not stand."

His Mississippi tour sold out in five minutes.

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,391
    I love a good pun. My post is a quote from Groucho Marx LOL.

8. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Remind us again RGS, who forced the south to fire the first shot? Lincoln bent over backwards to avoid war? Not in the least. He refused to meet with the Confederate delegates sent by Jefferson Davis to purchase all federal property in the Confederacy and pay the Confederate's portion of the national debt. Then he decided to re-stock Fort Sumter, which was located in the borders of the Confederacy, knowing full well that they were not going to allow that to happen. However, he did this intentionally because he knew they would attack and that attack would enrage people in the north and get popular sentiment on his side regarding a war against the south. Until that event the north believed the states had the right to secede and had no problem with the Confederacy doing so. As for murder of federal troops, no one died at Fort Sumter. All Union soldiers were sent back home after the battle.

9. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,349
    Lincoln did indeed "force the war", the why has been debated over and over but I hold with the argument that the north was more reliant on the south financially then the other way around. The north's economy would have been severly damaged if Lincoln would have let the southern states go, therefore he had no choice.

10. Kevin_Kennedy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Well Lincoln didn't want to lose the revenue from the southern states' taxes and tariffs, he says as much in his first inaugural address. Not to mention that the protectionist northern states didn't want to have to compete with a free trading Confederacy. That's why the mayor of New York City wanted to secede not only from the Union but from New York state to create a free trade port in the north.