The Drug Industry's Triumph Over the DEA

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
In April 2016, at the height of the deadliest drug epidemic in U.S. history, Congress effectively stripped the Drug Enforcement Administration of its most potent weapon against large drug companies suspected of spilling prescription narcotics onto the nation’s streets.

By then, the opioid war had claimed 200,000 lives, more than three times the number of U.S. military deaths in the Vietnam War. Overdose deaths continue to rise. There is no end in sight.

A handful of members of Congress, allied with the nation’s major drug distributors, prevailed upon the DEA and the Justice Department to agree to a more industry-friendly law, undermining efforts to stanch the flow of pain pills, according to an investigation by The Washington Post and “60 Minutes.” The DEA had opposed the effort for years.

The law was the crowning achievement of a multifaceted campaign by the drug industry to weaken aggressive DEA enforcement efforts against drug distribution companies that were supplying corrupt doctors and pharmacists who peddled narcotics to the black market. The industry worked behind the scenes with lobbyists and key members of Congress, pouring more than a million dollars into their election campaigns.

The chief advocate of the law that hobbled the DEA was Rep. Tom Marino,
marino.jpg
a Pennsylvania Republican who is now President Trump’s nominee to become the nation’s next drug czar.
How Congress allied with drug company lobbyists to derail the DEA’s war on opioids

It's an interesting article. It is also lengthy.

The drug war is a waste of time....simple math. People want their fix and frankly who am I to say to not do it. If they don't hurt me well then....

The drug war is a waste of time....simple math. People want their fix and frankly who am I to say to not do it. If they don't hurt me well then....
Yeah well, we have a for profit prison industry with stocks traded on Wall Street in a post industrial society where jobs are not coming back and we have no need for the poor and working class. The substantial people can turn $40-50K per year per hominid on incarcerated bodies and we have returned to convict leasing, or profiteering from bondage. So there's that, and the industry lobbies for legislation that will keep prisons full and continue its growth industry status.

Yeah well, we have a for profit prison industry with stocks traded on Wall Street in a post industrial society where jobs are not coming back and we have no need for the poor and working class. The substantial people can turn $40-50K per year per hominid on incarcerated bodies and we have returned to convict leasing, or profiteering from bondage. So there's that, and the industry lobbies for legislation that will keep prisons full and continue its growth industry status.

Stay out of trouble.

Stay out of prison.

Easy choice.

Stay out of trouble.

Stay out of prison.

Easy choice.
You deserve to live in a police state with an attitude like that.

Stay out of trouble.

Stay out of prison.

Easy choice.
You deserve to live in a police state with an attitude like that.

You're saying you have some entitlement to ignore the law?

Expose' was on 60 Minutes last night...
cool.gif

Trump drug czar nominee accused of hindering opioid crackdown
Mon, 16 Oct 2017 - The lawmaker whose state is ravaged by painkiller abuse is accused of being a drug industry stooge.
US President Donald Trump's nominee for drug czar is accused of helping relax enforcement on pharmaceutical firms blamed for fuelling the opioid crisis. Pennsylvania congressman Tom Marino pushed a bill that reportedly stripped a government agency of the ability to freeze suspicious painkiller shipments. His co-sponsor on the act was Marsha Blackburn of Tennessee. Both their states have been ravaged by opioids. Experts estimate the drugs could kill 500,000 Americans in the next decade.

_98343075_gettyimages-126202407.jpg

Mr Marino has not responded to requests for comment on the report​

Deadly addiction to opioids - a class of drug covering everything from legal painkillers to heroin - has been described as America's biggest public health crisis since the spread of HIV/AIDS in the 1980s. President Trump was pressed on Monday about the allegations surrounding his drug czar nominee that were detailed in an expose by the Washington Post and CBS News' 60 Minutes programme.

During a press conference at the White House, Mr Trump told reporters he took the journalistic investigation "very seriously". "We're gonna be looking into Tom [Marino]," he told reporters from the Rose Garden. "He's a great guy. I did see the report. We're gonna look into the report." Mr Trump also said he would formally declare a national opioid emergency next week, as he pledged to do more than two months ago. Mr Marino and Ms Blackburn, both Republicans, helped force out an official at the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) who was taking on the drug firms, report the Post and 60 Minutes.

_98340664_getty.jpg

Marsha Blackburn (L) and Tom Marino co-authored "industry-friendly" legislation, according to the investigation​

According to the investigation, they also introduced and lobbied for an "industry-friendly" bill called the Ensuring Patient Access and Effective Drug Enforcement Act. A DEA whistleblower said the legislation made it harder for the agency to prevent distributors from shipping pills to rogue pharmacies and corrupt doctors around the US. The so-called suspension orders - which the DEA slaps on suspicious shipments - have not been issued for at least two years, according to the report.

A murky mess

In April 2016, at the height of the deadliest drug epidemic in U.S. history, Congress effectively stripped the Drug Enforcement Administration of its most potent weapon against large drug companies suspected of spilling prescription narcotics onto the nation’s streets.

By then, the opioid war had claimed 200,000 lives, more than three times the number of U.S. military deaths in the Vietnam War. Overdose deaths continue to rise. There is no end in sight.

A handful of members of Congress, allied with the nation’s major drug distributors, prevailed upon the DEA and the Justice Department to agree to a more industry-friendly law, undermining efforts to stanch the flow of pain pills, according to an investigation by The Washington Post and “60 Minutes.” The DEA had opposed the effort for years.

The law was the crowning achievement of a multifaceted campaign by the drug industry to weaken aggressive DEA enforcement efforts against drug distribution companies that were supplying corrupt doctors and pharmacists who peddled narcotics to the black market. The industry worked behind the scenes with lobbyists and key members of Congress, pouring more than a million dollars into their election campaigns.

The chief advocate of the law that hobbled the DEA was Rep. Tom Marino,
marino.jpg
a Pennsylvania Republican who is now President Trump’s nominee to become the nation’s next drug czar.
How Congress allied with drug company lobbyists to derail the DEA’s war on opioids

It's an interesting article. It is also lengthy.

Yeah, who were the other members of Congress?

Forum List

Back