The Donald Trump rally from Mobile, Alabama

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
20150821_donald_trump_alabama_lede_gty_1160_1160x629.jpg

First, here's the complete video, courtesy of WAPO:

It is in HD format, so the picture quality is better. The thing actually starts at about 1 hour and 48 minutes into the video and Trump's entrance and speech are at at roughly 2 hours and 22 minutes.

Now, there are varying opinions about how the rally went, but one thing is for sure: it was very, very well attended. The Trump people estimate that about 30,000 were there, that the stadium was about 3/4 full, which the video maybe confirms. And local TV is confirming this. Other news outlets say it was closer to 21,000. I suspect that, as with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle: probably closer to 25,000 and surely some more people poured in once he was there and speaking. This is not unusual.

The rally got lots of media coverage:

Trump draws huge crowd for speech at Alabama stadium

30,000 turn out for Donald Trump's Alabama pep rally - CNNPolitics.com

Trump addresses largest crowd of presidential campaign yet while in Alabama

Donald Trump tells thousands in Alabama: We'll make US better than ever

Both FOX and MSNBC claim that the actual attendance at the free rally, which Trump paid for, was about 1/2 of the 43,000 seats at the football stadium, which would be closer to 21,000-22,000.

Trump on Alabama Rally: Itā€™s a 'Real Happening' - Breitbart

Others are a bit more more critical:

Trumpā€™s audacious Southern spectacle is part of his strategy

Donald Trump, Alabama and the ghost of George Wallace

This critique is from a very left-leaning source, but even the pictures in it are worth a gander:

The Absolute Insanity Of Donald Trumpā€™s Big Alabama Pep Rally, In 17 Tweets

Just for fun, since I had to stay up late anyway last night (family stuff), I watched the rally. Now, everyone is entitled to his opinion and so I am going to give mine.

1.) For what Trump wanted to achieve, he had a big success. I am talking strategema, here:

-he went to arguably the reddest state in the deep south (Alabama is roughly an R +25 state in presidential elections, far redder than Mississippi, Georgia or Florida, just a little redder than Tennessee at current) and was able to fill a football stadium with lots of people willing to see and hear him.

-he flew in with his own 757, buzzing the stadium, demonstrating his wealth. The crowd loved it.

-he gave, as usual, an impromptu speech, which the base will of course love, but impromptu can also mean "gotcha" slip up moments. These are the moments that the opposition loves to find and exploit.

-he used "I" an awful lot. The speech was much more about him than about America.

2.) As I watched the video, and the scenes before, I notice that the crowd was very, very, very, VERY white. Occasionally, I saw a darker skinner person, but there is no doubt that the minority component at this rally was very, very sparse. And other people are noticing this as well.

3.) The one Politico link makes mention that Trump is re-awakening the spirit of George Wallace, an extreme racist Governor from Alabama who made a third party bid for the Presidency in the hotly contested 1968 election.

I quote from the Politico link:

It was immigration, not segregation, that brought some 20,000 southerners ā€” far fewer than predicted ā€” out for Donald Trump on Friday night, but the ghost of George Wallace loomed large.

Wallace, an avowed segregationist, was the last presidential candidate to win electoral votes as a third-party candidate. The threat of Trump doing so, propelled by a hardline immigration stance that many have condemned as racist, looms over the Republican Party now as it did over the Democratic Party then, even as the enthusiasm of his following, for once, fell far short of expectations.

Wallace carried five Southern states, and Trump, who is leading early national polls in the race for the Republican nomination, touted his leads in Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida and Texas.

Trump also panned birthright citizenship as a bad deal for the U.S., saying, ā€œWeā€™re the only place just about thatā€™s stupid enough to do it.ā€ Trumpā€™s recently released immigration plan calls for ending birthright citizenship for the children of undocumented immigrants, which is guaranteed by the 14th Amendment, according to the legal consensus, though Trump disputes that point.

There were also vestiges of Wallaceā€™s Alabama, including on the sample editions of ā€œThe First Freedomā€ newspaper one man handed out to drivers as they entered the parking lot. The paperā€™s front page included a story about ā€œblack-on-white crime in South Carolinaā€ and an editorā€™s note about German mediaā€™s silence about ā€œthe actual programs these peaceful ā€˜neo-nazisā€™ stand for.ā€

The vast majority of supporters where white: of over 1,000 people waiting to enter on the east of the Ladd Peebles Stadium at 5 p.m., eight were black.

A black pastor opened the rally with an invocation, asking, ā€œWhat if we could replace hate with love?ā€ He was followed by an all-black middle school student council that led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance.

So, yeah, there is a distinct nativist element in this that is finding resonance with racist whites, I have no doubt about this at all. On the other hand, a black minister was indeed invited for the invocation, which I found to be very good.

What Trump just did was to go to the very heart of the ideological base of the Deep South, to a state that a Democrat would not win in a GE even in a massive landslide year for the Ds, and say to his fellow GOP-contenders, 'look, I can win where the heart of our party is.' And Trump is from evil, very blue New York, you know....

So, while I personally strongly disagree with many things Trump is saying, I think he achieved his goal.

And if anyone thought that the loud noises Trump has been making about immigration are going to go away, I think this rally makes it clear that nativism is going to be the centerpiece of his campaign. He is forcing the other GOP candidates to take a stand for or against: a wall, removing all 11-12 million illegal aliens, eliminating part of the 14th amendment, etc. So, regardless of who the GOP nominee will eventually be, and indeed, it could end up being Trump, the Democrats will have all of this stuff on record and will be able to use it.

Now, before some of my Rightie friends scream here, please note that I am praising Trump. He is a shrewd businessman and also a good showman. He knows how to get stuff organized and he knows how to put on a show. And a 23,000 strong crowd in a football stadium on a hot summer night really is a good feat for him. He saw potential for a far larger crowd than initially expected and he exploited it. Good for him. I really do think that he achieved what he wanted to achieve within the GOP in terms of making one more step toward becoming the permanent front-runner for the nomination.

However, the real question, one that Conservatives all over the place must ask is: how is this going to resonate with the rest of America? Every politically savvy person here knows that in order to win a presidential election, you have to win the soft-middle that can go either way in any election. How is the soft-middle going to take all this stuff with time?

And I wonder how many Conservatives out there really think that Trump is a real Conservative. The actual concrete things that he proposes are, in reality, big-government solutions to problems. But wait, I thought that Conservatives were small-government, non-interventionist types...

By saying that he would levy a 35% tax on anything that Automaker Ford produces as long as it continues with plans to build an auto-plant in Mexico, he just suggested a very big-government, intrusive, interventionist solution to a problem, and one that Conservatives like to accuse Liberals of: taxing more to get stuff done.

And I know this is going to shock some, because he and I don't get along at all, but I notice that The Rabbi has come out strongly against Trump and is saying over and over that Trump is no Conservative. Strangely enough ( :lol: ) I find myself agreeing with The Rabbi on this. When you actually measure what Trump proposes to do, you will find lots of progressivism in some of his stuff. Also, on social issues, I think it's hard to call Trump a Conservative at all. But he's made big waves, he is clearly the front runner in national nomination polling and in most all state polling (Wisconsin being the exception, to the best of my knowledge) and he surely has tapped into a reservoir of anger that is out there. Only, if you take a long, hard look at his rally audiences, we are talking mostly about white anger here. The pictures do not lie.

At the same time, Clinton had a much smaller rally. Warning: do not equate rally size with electability. Mo Udall had huge rallies in 1971 and part of 1972. He didn't get nominated. There were huge events for Reagan in 1976. He didn't get nominated that time around. John Dean was getting huge crowds in late 2003. He didn't get nominated. Far more important, I think, is the actual content of the rallies themselves.

-Stat

Last edited:
I'll wait and see if Trump ends standing in a school door way declaring blacks will never enter.the atempt to paint him like that is typical and expected, he has both sides squirming its kinda a hoot.

Just a thought on the Wallace comparison. Wallace gave up his racially charged rhetoric and actively worked to desegregate schools and appoint blacks to state office well ahead of the rest of the southern states. I have no such hope that Trump will see the error of his ways.

Just a thought on the Wallace comparison. Wallace gave up his racially charged rhetoric and actively worked to desegregate schools and appoint blacks to state office well ahead of the rest of the southern states. I have no such hope that Trump will see the error of his ways.

George Wallace was a Democrat btw.

That's what politician do they evolve to fit the voting block

• Banned

George Wallace was a segregationistic Southern Democrat in the mold of the asswhipped Confederacy and he did not run in 1968 as a Democrat. He was the "American Independent Party" candidate.

George Wallace was a segregationistic Southern Democrat in the mold of the asswhipped Confederacy and he did not run in 1968 as a Democrat. He was the "American Independent Party" candidate.
And that just means he couldn't get the dem nod,life long dem

Donald Trump's popularity can be explained thus:

He says what Americans haven't heard in a long time. That America is a great country and just needs someone to make it great again. People are tired of being told that we suck. It's a lie, everyone knows it's a lie and they want someone to tell them that he will
Make us great again.

He doesn't tolerate the foolishness of the left.

He doesn't back down, he can't be intimidated, and he speaks for those who have had their voices taken away.

He's a proven leader of men and women.

Personally (if anyone cares), I'm not ready to vote for him. At least not in the primaries. I would vote for him above anyone on the Democrat Party side, and before Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Rick Santorum, or Mike Huckabee.

What makes me hesitate with him is his spending ideas. All of his ideas so far cost a shit ton of money. So far he hasn't said how he will pay for things like building up the military. I need to hear a plan for that.

Denial denial denial.

Almost all segregationists were Democrat. Nature of the racist beast.

Here's the thing. I think that Trump taps into something that a lot of Americans feel, that we are living less well than our parents and our children will less well than us. They see an America that doesn't get the world to say "how High" when we say "Jump".

There is a xenophobic element to his rants, but the reality is, illegal immigration and free trade make it harder for Americans to get the kind of good paying jobs their parents got. Both parties have been ignoring this fact... the one thing that the GOP and Obama were able to agree upon was the awful TPP treaty that will cost more American jobs.

Rabbi is correct. Trump is no conservative. He's a populist. In that regard so was Reagan, so was Huckabee.

The way to beat trump is to understand why people are as angry as they are, and address it calmly. however, the people who could do that are so thoroughly owned by the 1% I don't think they can.

There is ONE glaring aspect missing from Trump's thumping of Ford,Nabisco,etc. companies moving plants overseas or to Mexico.
When he described in his speech last night of putting a 35% tariff on Fords coming into USA built in Mexico he totally forgets the number one reason those companies move overseas. Labor costs.

In building a car labor at 21% is the 2nd highest cost.
Raw materials ā€“ the biggest cost driver in the auto industry - Market Realist
Mexico average hourly wage: Mexican minimum wage in 2014 will be $5 dollars - a day
MGR - the Mexico Gulf Reporter: Mexican minimum wage in 2014 will be $5 dollars - a day
Q: Do auto workers really make more than $70 per hour?
A: No. That figure is derived from what the auto companies pay in wages, health, retirement and other benefits, and includes the cost of providing
benefits to retirees Auto Worker Salaries

Now of course the totally ignorant FACTCHECK people think that other costs are what paid by the government???
So compare $70/hr times 8 hours or $560/day to $5/day in Mexico.... SEEMS like a no brainer to me!!!

So what drives this $560/day labor costs??? Labor Unions!!!

How will Trump trump that ??

Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 9.20.03 AM.png

There is ONE glaring aspect missing from Trump's thumping of Ford,Nabisco,etc. companies moving plants overseas or to Mexico.
When he described in his speech last night of putting a 35% tariff on Fords coming into USA built in Mexico he totally forgets the number one reason those companies move overseas. Labor costs.

Mexico average hourly wage: Mexican minimum wage in 2014 will be $5 dollars - a day
MGR - the Mexico Gulf Reporter: Mexican minimum wage in 2014 will be $5 dollars - a day
A: No. That figure is derived from what the auto companies pay in wages, health, retirement and other benefits, and includes the cost of providing

Now of course the totally ignorant FACTCHECK people think that other costs are what paid by the government???
So compare $70/hr times 8 hours or $560/day to $5/day in Mexico.... SEEMS like a no brainer to me!!!

View attachment 48010

Agreed, and this is again, my problem with Trump; all talk and no plan. I like what he says, but let's hear the plan.

You mean Wallace was a Democrat who became a Conservative, right

View attachment 48010

I totally disagree with Trump on tariffs. Cut taxes here

View attachment 48010

Agreed, and this is again, my problem with Trump; all talk and no plan. I like what he says, but let's hear the plan.

Well that is an exaggeration "all talk no plan" at least when it comes to "illegal immigration".
Which by the way is first and foremost NOW what Trump uses when ever asked about the "immigration" problem... he responds and correctly...
"illegal immigration"! Because like Trump I am all for "LEGAL IMMIGRATION"!
After all we ALL are from some other country in our ancestors! BUT legally! I have a daughter-in-law who is a "legal immigrant" and became a
NATURALIZED CITIZEN. One who, being born an alien, has lawfully become a citizen of the United States Under the constitution and laws.
She has all the rights of a natural born citizen, except that of being eligible as president or vice-president of the United States.

Here is the "illegal immigration" plan as created by Trump and endorsed by Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama.

Real immigration reform puts the needs of working people first ā€“ not wealthy globetrotting donors. We are the only country in the world whose immigration system puts the needs of other nations ahead of our own. That must change. Here are the three core principles of real immigration reform:

1. A nation without borders is not a nation. There must be a wall across the southern border.

2. A nation without laws is not a nation. Laws passed in accordance with our Constitutional system of government must be enforced.

3. A nation that does not serve its own citizens is not a nation. Any immigration plan must improve jobs, wages and security for all Americans.

Now there is more details from this web site: Immigration Reform

Forum List

Back