The Defiance of Salman Rushdie

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
When Salman Rushdie turned seventy-five, last summer, he had every reason to believe that he had outlasted the threat of assassination. A long time ago, on Valentineā€™s Day, 1989, Iranā€™s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, declared Rushdieā€™s novel ā€œThe Satanic Versesā€ blasphemous and issued a fatwa ordering the execution of its author and ā€œall those involved in its publication.ā€ Rushdie, a resident of London, spent the next decade in a fugitive existence, under constant police protection. But after settling in New York, in 2000, he lived freely, insistently unguarded. He refused to be terrorized.

There were times, though, when the lingering threat made itself apparent, and not merely on the lunatic reaches of the Internet. In 2012, during the annual autumn gathering of world leaders at the United Nations, I joined a small meeting of reporters with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the President of Iran, and I asked him if the multimillion-dollar bounty that an Iranian foundation had placed on Rushdieā€™s head had been rescinded. Ahmadinejad smiled with a glint of malice. ā€œSalman Rushdie, where is he now?ā€ he said. ā€œThere is no news of him. Is he in the United States? If he is in the U.S., you shouldnā€™t broadcast that, for his own safety.ā€

I remember when this came out and the world went insane. I read it a couple of years later and it was actually a pretty good. I don't remember much of it because it was so long ago. It's absolutely insane that this man was attacked rather recently.

He refused to be terrorized.
Because the incident was a Fake . Search Miles Mathis report on SR

See what you still think after reading that wealth of detail .
About August 22 from memory .

Forum List

Back