The Death of the American Catholic Church

You miss quite a lot.
I don't deny that, but in this specific instance did I miss the good that you attributed to the Catholic Church?

Isn't that your job? I stated facts, they are neither good or bad, they merely are. Like I said, you can make up your own mind as to whether that's good or bad. Same for the church's approach to and history with pedophilia. Good, bad, indifferent? Up to you.
It isn't my job to make you be objective. That is your choice to make. I can help by pointing out your subjectivity, but I can't make you be objective. Religion is what religion is and it has done what it has done. I can point out to you all the good that religion has done, but that still will not make you objective. Only you can do that for yourself.

"Religion is what religion is and it has done what it has done."

See? Doesn't it feel good to find common ground.
Did it make you feel better to say that? You would even feel better if you were objective. Trust me. It is extremely powerful.

Yes of course, you're special, like everyone else who has an opinion and is totally convinced they are objective while anyone who doesn't say exactly the same thing is subjective. And you are a follower of this religion, so YOU'RE of course the "objective" one. Your denial is powerful isn't it.

You are a kneeler? A fish eater? Color me surprised. No... color me shocked. I bet it really irks you that I am one too.
koshergrl is also Catholic and even though I disagree with you both on Philosophy and logic I am however glad that you are both among the blessed sacrament actually.
Thank you, brother. I am glad that you are able to look past my shortcomings.

Well, only because you "confess" to a corporate middle man.
There is a practical application of confessing our sins or failures out loud to another person. Confessing our sins or failures to another person releases the power that sin and failure hold over us. In fact, most people who have done so will tell you that it feels like a great weight has been removed from them. Being honest and object, especially about our failings is the first step in fixing the problem. We can't fix what we don't acknowledge is broken. We are only as sick as the secrets we keep.

Too bad we don't apply that fix to american society.

I don't deny that, but in this specific instance did I miss the good that you attributed to the Catholic Church?

Isn't that your job? I stated facts, they are neither good or bad, they merely are. Like I said, you can make up your own mind as to whether that's good or bad. Same for the church's approach to and history with pedophilia. Good, bad, indifferent? Up to you.
It isn't my job to make you be objective. That is your choice to make. I can help by pointing out your subjectivity, but I can't make you be objective. Religion is what religion is and it has done what it has done. I can point out to you all the good that religion has done, but that still will not make you objective. Only you can do that for yourself.

Did it make you feel better to say that? You would even feel better if you were objective. Trust me. It is extremely powerful.

Yes of course, you're special, like everyone else who has an opinion and is totally convinced they are objective while anyone who doesn't say exactly the same thing is subjective. And you are a follower of this religion, so YOU'RE of course the "objective" one. Your denial is powerful isn't it.
If you actually took an objective position on anything, you would find me agreeing with you, but you don't. If I took a subjective position on anything, then you would be able to do the same thing to me that I do to you. There is nothing special about me other than what I say is true. If I said, stupid things like you do, then you would be the one making me look foolish. Unless of course, you just think I am smarter than you and am able to manipulate the truth. Well.. is that what you believe?

You are a kneeler? A fish eater? Color me surprised. No... color me shocked. I bet it really irks you that I am one too.
koshergrl is also Catholic and even though I disagree with you both on Philosophy and logic I am however glad that you are both among the blessed sacrament actually.

There is a practical application of confessing our sins or failures out loud to another person. Confessing our sins or failures to another person releases the power that sin and failure hold over us. In fact, most people who have done so will tell you that it feels like a great weight has been removed from them. Being honest and object, especially about our failings is the first step in fixing the problem. We can't fix what we don't acknowledge is broken. We are only as sick as the secrets we keep.

There is no fixing society. There is only fixing the individuals in society.

Celia who has become disillusioned by love tells her psychiatrist, “I must tell you that I should really like to think there's something wrong with me- Because, if there isn't, then there's something wrong with the world itself-and that's much more frightening! That would be terrible. So I'd rather believe there is something wrong with me, that could be put right.” Celia Coplestone, Edward's mistress, T.S. Eliot, "The Cocktail Party"

If you actually took an objective position on anything, you would find me agreeing with you, but you don't. If I took a subjective position on anything, then you would be able to do the same thing to me that I do to you. There is nothing special about me other than what I say is true. If I said, stupid things like you do, then you would be the one making me look foolish. Unless of course, you just think I am smarter than you and am able to manipulate the truth. Well.. is that what you believe?

Are you arguing my point now mr objective? Sure sounds like it.

Celia who has become disillusioned by love tells her psychiatrist, “I must tell you that I should really like to think there's something wrong with me- Because, if there isn't, then there's something wrong with the world itself-and that's much more frightening! That would be terrible. So I'd rather believe there is something wrong with me, that could be put right.” Celia Coplestone, Edward's mistress, T.S. Eliot, "The Cocktail Party"

Silly Celia, should have found a priest.

How so?

Sill Celia, should have found a priest.
Or God.

How so?

You simply pronouce yourself "objective", and someone who doesn't agree with everything you said is "subjective". It's so convenient. Why, I think I'll just subjectively decide I'm objective.

Or God.

No, she'll need a "sexless" middle man.

How so?

You simply pronouce yourself "objective", and someone who doesn't agree with everything you said is "subjective". It's so convenient. Why, I think I'll just subjectively decide I'm objective.
No. I know what is required to be objective. Do you?

Or God.

Could you possibly be more cynical?

Or God.

If you like, sure. But isn't that how catholicism works; the middle man scam? Didn’t they used to have this racket whereby they charged folks money so their deceased love ones could get into heaven. Now THAT’S cynical pard.

Or God.

If you like, sure. But isn't that how catholicism works; the middle man scam? Didn’t they used to have this racket whereby they charged folks money so their deceased love ones could get into heaven. Now THAT’S cynical pard.
You know who else thought like you?

...in order to charm the golden birds, out of the pockets of his dearly beloved neighbours in Christ. He puts himself at the service of the other’s most depraved fancies, plays the pimp between him and his need, excites in him morbid appetites, lies in wait for each of his weaknesses – all so that he can then demand the cash for this service of love. (Every product is a bait with which to seduce away the other’s very being, his money; every real and possible need is a weakness which will lead the fly to the glue-pot. General exploitation of communal human nature, just as every imperfection in man, is a bond with heaven – an avenue giving the priest access to his heart; every need is an opportunity to approach one’s neighbour under the guise of the utmost amiability and to say to him: Dear friend, I give you what you need, but you know the conditio sine qua non; you know the ink in which you have to sign yourself over to me; in providing for your pleasure, I fleece you.)

Karl Marx
Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844
3rd paragraph

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/needs.htm

Or God.

...in order to charm the golden birds, out of the pockets of his dearly beloved neighbours in Christ. He puts himself at the service of the other’s most depraved fancies, plays the pimp between him and his need, excites in him morbid appetites, lies in wait for each of his weaknesses – all so that he can then demand the cash for this service of love. (Every product is a bait with which to seduce away the other’s very being, his money; every real and possible need is a weakness which will lead the fly to the glue-pot. General exploitation of communal human nature, just as every imperfection in man, is a bond with heaven – an avenue giving the priest access to his heart; every need is an opportunity to approach one’s neighbour under the guise of the utmost amiability and to say to him: Dear friend, I give you what you need, but you know the conditio sine qua non; you know the ink in which you have to sign yourself over to me; in providing for your pleasure, I fleece you.)

Karl Marx
3rd paragraph

Brillant, the "commie" bit. Mr objective.

Karl Marx
3rd paragraph

Brillant, the "commie" bit. Mr objective.
Are you disagreeing that he believed like you do? I'm nit calling you a socialist, although you very well may be for all I know. What I am saying is that when it comes to religion, you and him see eye to eye. Do you seriously believe that zero good has come from religion?

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin - Wikipedia

I remember the beautiful young Catholic nun who taught us kids that as apes were evolving into man, at some point God gave one a soul.
So let me ask you this then, do you believe our Creator would not provide us evidence of His existence or ways in which we could tell the difference between doing good and rationalizing that we were doing good?
I believe in a Deist (not a Theist) Philosophy God.

The Bible (Tenakh and/or New Testament) tell us very little about God himself.

We know He chose the Jews for whatever reason to convey the Body Of Christ Jesus to this Earth.

We know that Jesus is the Son Of God.

We know that The Holy Spirit is sent here to intervene for Jesus while he is away and seated at the right hand of God.

I suspect that Holy Mary Mother Of Christ sits at the left hand of God next to Him and to Jesus.

I suspect we are given the Greek New Testament to decipher for ourselves all that we need to know about Jesus and God and Holy Mary and The Holy Spirit.

I believe the Holy Catholic Church has gone through phases of good and evil and good again.

I love the Pope. I love Jesus too. I am not afraid to disagree with them however.

I love God and Holy Mary and the Holy Spirit as well.

I believe the purpose of God is to put us through trials to prove our faithfulness and devotion.

Belief is a matter of faith until such time as God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit or Holy Mary appears to us in person and we can see Them, hear Them, touch Them and thus KNOW them.
So you don't believe He has given us reason to have our faith from what He has made?

God's Wrath on Unrighteousness For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (Romans 1:18-25 ESV)
If there were "reasons given" then it would not be "faith".

That's not how the God(s) play their game.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin - Wikipedia

I remember the beautiful young Catholic nun who taught us kids that as apes were evolving into man, at some point God gave one a soul.
So let me ask you this then, do you believe our Creator would not provide us evidence of His existence or ways in which we could tell the difference between doing good and rationalizing that we were doing good?
I believe in a Deist (not a Theist) Philosophy God.

The Bible (Tenakh and/or New Testament) tell us very little about God himself.

We know He chose the Jews for whatever reason to convey the Body Of Christ Jesus to this Earth.

We know that Jesus is the Son Of God.

We know that The Holy Spirit is sent here to intervene for Jesus while he is away and seated at the right hand of God.

I suspect that Holy Mary Mother Of Christ sits at the left hand of God next to Him and to Jesus.

I suspect we are given the Greek New Testament to decipher for ourselves all that we need to know about Jesus and God and Holy Mary and The Holy Spirit.

I believe the Holy Catholic Church has gone through phases of good and evil and good again.

I love the Pope. I love Jesus too. I am not afraid to disagree with them however.

I love God and Holy Mary and the Holy Spirit as well.

I believe the purpose of God is to put us through trials to prove our faithfulness and devotion.

Belief is a matter of faith until such time as God or Jesus or the Holy Spirit or Holy Mary appears to us in person and we can see Them, hear Them, touch Them and thus KNOW them.
So you don't believe He has given us reason to have our faith from what He has made?

God's Wrath on Unrighteousness For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (Romans 1:18-25 ESV)
If there were "reasons given" then it would not be "faith".

That's not how the God(s) play their game.
Faith is having complete trust or confidence in someone or something. We shouldn't put faith in someone or something without good reason. Luckily for us, we don't have to for He has made His eternal power and divine nature clearly perceived ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made so that we are without excuse.

Those are His words, not mine.

Faith is having complete trust or confidence in someone or something. We shouldn't put faith in someone or something without good reason. Luckily for us, we don't have to for He has made His eternal power and divine nature clearly perceived ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made so that we are without excuse.

Those are His words, not mine.
Who heard him say that, you?

Forum List

Back