The Death of "Superman"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hylandrdet, Oct 11, 2004.

1. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Christopher Reeve was more than just an actor, he was the very symbol of what was wrong with our domestic polices. He made it a point to remind us that each and every american is one freak accident away from having to rely on the government to support us.

Here he was, a rich and sucessful actor; taking his time in selecting the roles he wants to play, while taking time off to have fun with his wife and children. Everything was perfect; the ideal wife, the ideal children, the ideal lifestyle. Then one day he decides to step outside and go for a ride on his favorite horse... A simple decision a ultimatey cost him his life.

Christopher Reeve's efforts to push for stem cell research was extrordinary. He didn't flip/flop on his position; the government DOES have an obligation to help those who cannot help themselves, medically as well as financially.

The anger I feel from his death lies within the fact that most of our medical and financial programs are being delayed or stopped; primarly out of paranoid politics.

Welfare- Are the applicants "con artists"?
    Food Stamps- Are they taking food out of my mouth?
    Universial medicare- Will I get incompetent treatment?
    Stem cell research- The next "1984"?
    Marijuana research- A win for the Drug Dealers?
    Human organ cloning- The breeding of the "ultimate race" of humans?

I have some bad news for you; these programs are running right now in various countries. To have the most advanced nation on earth, the United States, not at the forefront of all of these programs, makes me sick to my stomach.

Learn from the death of "Superman" and make the right choices in November. Remember, you are one accident away...

See you at the big house Superman.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The government also has a responsibilty to protect the rights of babies !

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    First, it disgusts me when people like you use the recently dead or even the long dead to push a political agenda. not as much as it does when said dead people vote but thats another issue.

Second, President Bush has been the first President to allow federally funded stem cell research. What the heck do you people want? we arent going to start growing people in a bottle to kill them and experiment. if we did that wed be no better than the nazi scientists.

4. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    And exactly what would you have us learn? Seems to me that you feel that your beloved liberals are the key to the solution. Strange, isn't it, that after eight years of corruption under Billary Clinton, no progress was made toward stem cell research, yet you would have us believe that this is all the fault of those evil Republicans.

Please, if you're going to try to blow smoke up my ass, at least put a little effort into it. It is insulting that you would think that we are so stupid as to accept your half-assed diatribe as having merit.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Well stead. this is about as dumb as trying to blame Republicans for the draft legislation when a Democrat proposed it and only Democrats voted for it. While our current secretary of defense took a vital part of eliminating the draft. yet we are supposed to be afraid of Republicans reinstituting the draft...right. Glad most of the people ive talked to about it realize that its Democrats doing it and have turned them off to the left.

I find it so amazing that Bush had done more thinks in his four years then Clinton did with 8 and yet somehow life was great under Clinton and hell under Bush. i havent figured out how to draw the conclusions they are.

6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Moved to General USA chat.

7. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I have bad news for you; you're facts are lacking and your taste is questionable at best. The man has barely left this earth and you are already using his death to promote a politcal agenda. Disgusting.

8. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Christopher Reeve, on many occasions, had given both parties permission to exploit his death, under the condition that it will lead to more government sponsored programs for medical research.

The doctors had told him that unless he gains a significant recovery of his body, he will not live beyond ten years. He knew that he was a dying man; that explains his tireless efforts in pushing forward his political agenda.

In short, he donated his "death" to the advancement of medical science.

My posting was based on what I believe was his last will in testament; to bring this issue to the forefront of our domestic agenda. I feel no guilt; I truly believe that this action was exactly what he wanted to see happen.

What's truly disgusting is that you conservative are trying to put a political spin on what he wanted us to do. It is you conservatives, who live in the glass houses and are launching stones with a catapult.

Please shut your pie holes; I did not say anything that Christopher Reeve would had contradicted. He wanted us to fight on; that is exactly what I'm going to do.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    P.S. Don't play the "guilt trip" card on me; it only works on people that actually did something wrong.

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Prove it.

Prove it. Prove it was a 'political' agenda, not a bio-ethics agenda.

Unless you are his Attorney or his Family, I'd doubt you are privy to Mr. Reeve's last will.

Until you can prove Chris Reeve wanted his Death as a voice to bash George Bush, your opinion on this topic is worthless.

Translation: I want to rant, and those who dissagree with me will be 'shouted down'.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1