The death of Judas Iscariot

how about the verses in acts, so we can read what you have read on the throwing himself over a cliff?

i always thought as mebelle, he threw away the coins and hung himself from a tree!

I understood it that he tried to give the money back to the pharisees, but due to the Hebrew law, could not accept the money or even touch it. After the money was returned, Judas hung himself, and then the Pharisees bought the field where he hung himself and buried him there. It should be in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to I think.

Last edited:
now ponder this...wouldnt judas be in heaven....he was only doing what he was predetermined by god to do....he was merely a player in a large production that needed 'judas'....and look how his name lives on.....'judas goat' etc....

For that answer we would need to study the last supper.
Jesus told Judas that he would betray him, Judas was stunned and couldn't fathom the thought. Not until everything was said and done, had he realized that Jesus' prophecy was true.
Can you imagine how you would feel in a similar situation? The promises we make and can't keep, the good intentions we have that turn out horrid...

Dang fallible humans!

Or when it hit home WHO he had sold out.

Matthew says he hung himself, I'm not sure there is any reference to him trying to give the money back but I could be wrong.

The Acts certainly doesn't say he tried to give the money back, and says that he bought land with it, and then his body broke upon the ground in a fairly gruesome manner.

The picture I get is that he bought the land, hung himself off a cliff, and then his body fell.

how about the verses in acts, so we can read what you have read on the throwing himself over a cliff?

i always thought as mebelle, he threw away the coins and hung himself from a tree!

I understood it that he tried to give the money back to the pharisees, but due to the Hebrew law, could not accept the money or even touch it. After the money was returned, Judas hung himself, and then the Pharisees bout the field where he hung himself and buried him there. It should be in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to I think.

Nope. Judas' death is not mentioned in any gospel except Matthews. A contradictory death story is at the beginning of the Acts of the Apostles. (Which was written by the author of Luke's gospel.) Mark and John make no mention of what happened to Judas after he betrayed Jesus.

Matthew says he hung himself, I'm not sure there is any reference to him trying to give the money back but I could be wrong.

The Acts certainly doesn't say he tried to give the money back, and says that he bought land with it, and then his body broke upon the ground in a fairly gruesome manner.

The picture I get is that he bought the land, hung himself off a cliff, and then his body fell.

You mean you don't know?

What always amuses me about bible thumpers is that by and large, they don't actually know what's in their own book.

judas had no choice....that is my point.....

This does seem to be the case, indeed... :dunno: it may also have been completely different than how it's written... remember, scriptures are written, interpreted, and henceforth read accordingly to the perceptions of man... sadly, scholars are not always of a spiritual mind. :doubt:

I understood it that he tried to give the money back to the pharisees, but due to the Hebrew law, could not accept the money or even touch it. After the money was returned, Judas hung himself, and then the Pharisees bout the field where he hung himself and buried him there. It should be in Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John to I think.

Nope. Judas' death is not mentioned in any gospel except Matthews. A contradictory death story is at the beginning of the Acts of the Apostles. (Which was written by the author of Luke's gospel.) Mark and John make no mention of what happened to Judas after he betrayed Jesus.

True. I stand corrected.

You mean you don't know?

What always amuses me about bible thumpers is that by and large, they don't actually know what's in their own book.

Yours is not much better. You got all yours from The Mormon Proposition and those Bronze age superstition folks on facebook. you Parrot them verbatim like you did Ben Franklin in another thread. You dont even try to spiff it up man.

This does seem to be the case, indeed... :dunno: it may also have been completely different than how it's written... remember, scriptures are written, interpreted, and henceforth read accordingly to the perceptions of man... sadly, scholars are not always of a spiritual mind. :doubt:

however the scripture itself is imbued with the Holy Spirit, so what we have is the true word of God. Regardless of the foibles of man.

And of course Judas had a choice, we all have a choice. Just because God knows what choice we will make before we MAKE it doesn't mean we don't make it ourselves. God has knowledge of all events, past, future, present, and orchestrated themselves. He orchestrated them to allow for our free will.

There have been series of books and Sunday school classes written on that very thing, and if Judas is or is not in hell. To me, Judas was like a "hang around" Apostle, and had no idea who he was hanging with. The fact that he tried to return the silver pieces tells me that he knew what he had done by betraying Jesus. I say he repented before he killed him self and is in heaven. Some compared God using him to how God used Pharaoh, but in that case, Pharaoh never repented, and never cared to so no comparison there.

I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, however, there is a world of difference between giving someone 'choices' for the sake of having choices and yet empowering someone enough to make an informed decision... What many may see Judas doing is not making a choice but purposefully making an informed decision from being better informed of potential consequences of disobedience. :dunno: There is far more to this than this discussion seems to allow.

Last edited:

You mean you don't know?

Actually, I was asking for the take of other believers. I have stated what I think happened. About three times. Here's four: I think Judas killed himself by hanging and fell onto the rock below and broke in half during the earthquake.

Well as to what caused the mess the point about bloating is a good one. The fall could have exploded him like you say, or the body could have fallen and buzzards and wild dogs could have had at him, hell even followers of Jesus could have cut him down and hacked up the body as a form of disrespect or something. No mention of any of that in the bible though.

Another interesting topic is Cain and Abel... :dunno: It would be interesting to see the member's ideas about them.

In a lot of ways... the two, Jesus and Judas could both be seen as sacrificial lambs of two separate forces. One of heaven, one of hell, but the evidence of their sacrifice is, of course, only going to convey certain depths... as the cloak of secrecy is thick.

An interesting thing about Judas' blood... and how it is 'modern' to use human genetics to enhance our agricultural industry.

Yours is not much better. You got all yours from The Mormon Proposition and those Bronze age superstition folks on facebook. you Parrot them verbatim like you did Ben Franklin in another thread. You dont even try to spiff it up man.

Ben Franklin? When did I even talk about Ben Franklin? And while I go to Facebook from time, mostly to check up on relatives, I really don't spend any time there discussing religion.

I'm suprised you didn't throw in "one of the 20 people we thought were you on TownHall said something similar once"...

Incidently, 8 The Mormon Proposition. Great film. Anyone who is thinking about voting for Romney should watch it and think again.

You mean you don't know?

Actually, I was asking for the take of other believers. I have stated what I think happened. About three times. Here's four: I think Judas killed himself by hanging and fell onto the rock below and broke in half during the earthquake.

But the only Gospel that mentions an "Earthquake" (followed by an apparent Zombie attack) is Matthew, and he doesn't say anything about him breaking in half or spilling his guts.

Then you have this little gem. Non-canonical, but interesting...

Another account was preserved by the early Christian leader, Papias: "Judas walked about in this world a sad example of impiety; for his body having swollen to such an extent that he could not pass where a chariot could pass easily, he was crushed by the chariot, so that his bowels gushed out."[

Ben Franklin? When did I even talk about Ben Franklin? And while I go to Facebook from time, mostly to check up on relatives, I really don't spend any time there discussing religion.

I'm suprised you didn't throw in "one of the 20 people we thought were you on TownHall said something similar once"...

Incidently, 8 The Mormon Proposition. Great film. Anyone who is thinking about voting for Romney should watch it and think again.

Which ?

Which ?

Which what?

Forum List

Back