The death of Judas Iscariot

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
So, I'm re-reading Acts, and it seems to me that Judas bought some land with his betrayal of Christ earnings, then either fell or threw himself off a cliff, and BROKE IN HALF, and all his bowels (!) spilled out of him, resulting in the field being called "the field of blood" or some such thing.

Now I don't know why I thought Judas hung himself, so I'm curious if anybody else has any other take on the fate of Judas. Anybody except biblical retards like ABS, Loki, and Dragon, that is. Though I'm sure they'll have something supremely idiotic to say.

So did Judas commit suicide, or did he fall from a cliff, jump from a cliff, or hang himself? When? Years after the death of Christ? Shortly after? He had time to buy land, if I'm reading the passage correctly. It's maddeningly and miraculously ambiguous, as much of the bible is until you really start digging. And do we know his fate in the hereafter? Are there references to it? There is a vague reference to it in the Acts but I haven't really researched it yet.

Last edited:
I'm thinking he hanged himself off a cliff, and fell to the ground, breaking his body in two...and it seems to have taken place in the hours following the crucifixion of Christ, in the same time frame as the rending of the temple, the earthquake...which could explain how he could hang himself (Matthew) AND fall off a cliff.

how about the verses in acts, so we can read what you have read on the throwing himself over a cliff?

i always thought as mebelle, he threw away the coins and hung himself from a tree!

matthew says he hanged himself....acts says he fell ....

i love how the scholars put this together...he hangs himself...the rope breaks....he slips over a cliff...and burst open....

now ponder this...wouldnt judas be in heaven....he was only doing what he was predetermined by god to do....he was merely a player in a large production that needed 'judas'....and look how his name lives on.....'judas goat' etc....

how about the verses in acts, so we can read what you have read on the throwing himself over a cliff?

i always thought as mebelle, he threw away the coins and hung himself from a tree!

Excellent idea Care! Now I am curious!

Matthew 27:5

5 Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and edeparted, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18
Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out.

Gruesome as it is, Judas’ dead body hung in the hot sun of Jerusalem, and the bacteria inside his body would have been actively breaking down tissues and cells. A byproduct of bacterial metabolism is often gas. The pressure created by the gas forces fluid out of the cells and tissues and into the body cavities. The body becomes bloated as a result. In addition, tissue decomposition occurs compromising the integrity of the skin. Judas’ body was similar to an overinflated balloon, and as he hit the ground (due to the branch he hung on or the rope itself breaking) the skin easily broke and he burst open with his internal organs spilling out.

Contradictions: How Did Judas Die? - Answers in Genesis

now ponder this...wouldnt judas be in heaven....he was only doing what he was predetermined by god to do....he was merely a player in a large production that needed 'judas'....and look how his name lives on.....'judas goat' etc....

For that answer we would need to study the last supper.
Jesus told Judas that he would betray him, Judas was stunned and couldn't fathom the thought. Not until everything was said and done, had he realized that Jesus' prophecy was true.
Can you imagine how you would feel in a similar situation? The promises we make and can't keep, the good intentions we have that turn out horrid...

Dang fallible humans!

Matthew 27:5

5 Then he threw down the pieces of silver in the temple and edeparted, and went and hanged himself.

Acts 1:18
Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out.

The books of the Bible are not always in order. Take Mathew, Mark, Luke and John (or don't ;)) They are telling the same story from their POV. Many chapters overlap and are not always in context. It would take a lot of studying to come to a consensus.

So, I'm re-reading Acts, and it seems to me that Judas bought some land with his betrayal of Christ earnings, then either fell or threw himself off a cliff, and BROKE IN HALF, and all his bowels (!) spilled out of him, resulting in the field being called "the field of blood" or some such thing.

Now I don't know why I thought Judas hung himself, so I'm curious if anybody else has any other take on the fate of Judas. Anybody except biblical retards like ABS, Loki, and Dragon, that is. Though I'm sure they'll have something supremely idiotic to say.

So did Judas commit suicide, or did he fall from a cliff, jump from a cliff, or hang himself? When? Years after the death of Christ? Shortly after? He had time to buy land, if I'm reading the passage correctly. It's maddeningly and miraculously ambiguous, as much of the bible is until you really start digging. And do we know his fate in the hereafter? Are there references to it? There is a vague reference to it in the Acts but I haven't really researched it yet.

You probably thought he hanged himself because that's what the Gospel of Matthew says he did.

Matthew: 27:5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
27:6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.

As opposed to ACTS, which says 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Why the contradiction.

Because they were making it all up.

You see, Acts was written by the same person who wrote the Gospel of Luke. Both Luke and Matthew based their work on the Gospel of Mark, but felt the need to include a lot of embellishment, usually for the purpose of trying to push the idea that Jesus was fulfilling various OT prophecies.

But neither of these guys had ever met Jesus and were writing decades after the fact.

Mark says nothing about what befell old Judas. He might have had a very happy life after that, for all we know. But clearly, they both felt their readers needed some kind of divine punishment for the guy doing what he did.

Second point. Why would Judas get some horrific punishment in Hell for doing what Jesus came there to do? The whole purpose of Jesus was to (rip off other man-god stories) by dying for our sins and coming back to life.

Muslims do not believe that Jesus died on the cross.

(actually the correct translation is not a cross; but tree or stake)

We believe that at the last minute Jesus was taken into heaven and Judas was put in his place and died that day.

I think he hung himself from a cliff, and his body fell. It's not contradictory, considering there was an earthquake that day.

I think he hung himself from a cliff, and his body fell. It's not contradictory, considering there was an earthquake that day.

Really? How come there is no earthquake recorded in any other source?

And only one of the gospels (Matthew) mentions an Earthquake. (27:51). In the very next verse, he says that the "saints" came out of their graves and were walking around like some kind of zombie movie. Again, no other gospel mentions what would have been a pretty memorable event. Nor does any historical source like Josephus.

Now you think a major earthquake and a zombie invasion would have been major news.

It seems evident that many people stop thinking... :dunno: at words. Perhaps this is why writing was/is, by many ancient societies, forbidden.

What I see, no, rather, the basics of what I see is necromancy... the raising of the dead. The saints is perhaps referring to their bloodlines, their lineages, their genetic influences. The earthquake is mentioned with the potential understanding of the magnetic influences on psychic sensitivities, which are enhanced in the most devotedly religious. It isn't rocket science, it is religion. *he*arts* as *he*ads*

Muslims do not believe that Jesus died on the cross.

(actually the correct translation is not a cross; but tree or stake)

We believe that at the last minute Jesus was taken into heaven and Judas was put in his place and died that day.

There is that... and then there is also for every 'good' there seems to be a necessary evil... I don't know and I'm not a scholar, I'm quite the amateur, perhaps... but the 'show' of scripture seems to suggest the cut-throat rivalry that has always been between and about science and religion. It may be completely necessary, for all that comes to be unveiled, it seems they both profoundly enhance one another.... it doesn't have to be about destruction, however, it is the application of the two that determines potential, I suppose... and thanks be to ALL that is HOLY that there are (by all appearances) more than ONE applicators/applications.
:D

Forum List

Back