The Day after Tomorrow.. In Realtime

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hylandrdet, Dec 26, 2004.

1. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
  2. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Perhaps our "freedom happy" Bush administration may want to consider sending troops there.

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356

Why are we going to attack them while they are weakest? Whats the point of troops? You watch who sends the most money and aid to help in the relief effort. Damn sure won't be the UN.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Is your reference to "The Day after Tomorrow" from the Hollywood moive based on fantasy global warming science?(meaning that of the moive) If so how is an earthquake in Asia connected to supposed global warming?

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    got to wonder that myself. i actually wasted time to watch that movie last night. it was as bad as everyone says. I mean what kind of freaking idiots believe that global warming is going to cause an ice age. seriously people!

But i have to reiterate what mtn said. what does junk global warming science have to do with an earthquake causing tidal waves?

6. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    As for sending troops... we probably will send some... for humanitarian purposes. We'll probably be using a lot of heavy lift cargo aircraft that the military has to speed supplies to the affected areas.

Watch what happens now folks.... the rest of the world will be asking .... not the EU or the UN and definitely not the French but the evil empire, the United States of America for help. Yep, we're nothing but a bunch of imperialistic, dominating, hegomonic, power hungry,greedy corporate run, greenhouse spewing, polluting and mean Americans that are interfering abroad.... until disaster strikes.... then we're the one country that everyone else runs to. And to boot, the ugly bad rotten Americans will be opening up their checkbooks, their hearts and will send billions of dollars to help those affected by this. Yep.... those bad rotten, Judeo-Christian values that the ACLU wants to send to the trash heap of history can be counted on by the rest of the world, especially at the time of the Christmas Holiday, to come through.....

and thank goodness for that......

if we had to rely on the secularist based organizations of this world.... not only would help not arrive, but the beureaucrats of said organizations would be lining their pockets (and their son's pockets) to boot.

P.S. (warning: boring explanation ahead... you might want to skip this part)

A tsunami is caused by earthquakes, not global warming. All major landmasses in the world are surrounded by what is know as a continental shelf. The water over the continental shelf is shallow, whereas the waters over the rest of the ocean is very deep. Whenever there is an earthquake out at sea, its shockwave is translated into the water which causes tidal waves. However, once the shockwave transitions from the deep water onto the continental shelf, the height of the wave is magnified a great deal, thus causing the killer tidal waves.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    In other words the Tsunamis in Day after tomorrow would not have been created even the global warming triggers ice age theory was true.

8. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Oh... did they have tsunamis in "The Day After Tomorrow"? Is that where this talk about tsunamis is all coming from? I didn't see the movie...... I was too busy reading a book on real science!

Tectonic activity (i.e. earthquakes, volcanoes) have nothing to do with global warming. In fact volcanic activity has been known to contribute to global warming. In fact, a large volcanic explosion back in the 1800s was the cause of global climactic changes (albeit only for a couple of years).... I believe that was Krakatao

I should add.... the volcanic eruption caused the world's climate to cool down.

9. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    This movie was mis-named. It should have been titled "Michael Moore does the weather".

It has many things in common with Moore's crap piece F 911 such as;
    It it remarkably short on facts,
    the few facts that it does utilize are skewed beyond recognition,
    it is a propoganda piece,
    liberals love it,
    liberals will claim it's true,
    folks like hylandr are too wrapped up in their ideology to give a rat's ass if the movie's premise can be supported.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

The movie is based on a fiction story written by Art Bell with a ghost writer. The book is entitled "The Coming Global Superstorm". Since it is based on fiction you should expect some literary license. Don't take the movie on as real science and you may be able to enjoy it more. I loved the special effects.