Christmas Poem

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
I got this from my son stationed in Iraq. His spelling leaves something to be desired (always has been that way!) but this was by far the best Christmas present I got! He wrote it himself:

Hey, when you mentioned reading the night before Christmas, It got me thinking and I wrote poem for the family, if you feel like reading it too. And Mom, I thought you might enjoy this too....MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

twas the night before Christmas and I am stuck in IRAQ, thinking of you guys and when I will get back,

My rifle was laid by my bunk with care, in the hope that I wouldn't have to use it here,

the soldiers are lying all snug in their beds, while visions of families dance in their heads,

while I in my blanket and my roon mate his sheets, we ha just settled down for a long winter sleep,

when out on the rocks there arose suck a clatter, I sprang from my bunk to see what was the matter,

away to the door I flew like a flash, tore open the door with a bang and a crash,

The moon on the crest of the old lumps of dirt, didnt help me see crap, was anyone hurt?

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,

with a little old driver so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be saint nick.

more rapid than eagles his coursers they came and he whistled and shouted and called them by name

"Now dasher now dancer, now prancer and vixen, on comet on cupid on donner and blitzen!

To the top of the porch to the top of the wall, now dash away dash away dash away all

soon saint nick was on the ground, laughing and smiling and looking around

lifting his bulk, his belly so round, he dropped to the rocks with out making a sound

and then in a twinkling his smile was gone, his eyes looked solem, his face drawn

"this is a hard time for you" he said "and there is nothing that helps inside of my sled"

"this I can do though" he said with a grin "bring peace and love to all of your kin"

"you are here so that they my have joy and peace, so in a way you help ME more than these beasts"

So saying he patted old Donner, with a gleam in his eye he lead me to ponder

"how can you do this" I asked scratching my head, "By helping them enjoy Christmas" he said,

"For that is why your here" he said, "so your family can live with out fear, with out dread"

"So I will help them enjoy the gift you give them, with presents and food and a little slice of heaven"

"and as far as love, while they sleep in their beds, I will put this poem for them inside your head"

with a wink of his eye and a twist of his beard, so quickly the haze in my head cleared

the he spoke no more but shook my habd, saluted right smartly and jumped to his stand,

then grabbing the reinghs his team started to run "dont worry my friend your family will have fun"

"They will have a great Christmas" I heard him shout, "just let them know your love, let it all out"

As he drove out of sight I wrote this all out, so you would how much I love you without a doubt!

I thought about "cleaning it up" and correcting the spelling errors and adding the missing words here and there, but this poem is so "him" I decided to just leave it alone.

Forum List

Back