The Day After (1983)

It's fictional ... you realize that, right?

81wvBBqZhDL._SL1500_.jpg

Are you telling me that didn't really happen? But I saw it happen. They wouldn't fake anything like that, would they?

It never fails to amaze me that Hollywood can't come up with a nuclear exchange scenario that isn't a full and total release of nuclear weapons. Even people who should know better still believe in their hearts that all The President has to do is push a red button and all the nukes in the world start flying.

People who claim to have worked in the nuclear forces should know that missiles and bombers have target packages. Target packages that have to be ordered by the NCA and have to be loaded into the missiles prior to launch or given to flight crews prior to release.

These same people believe that a computer glitch will trigger a full nuclear exchange, Mad Max scenario like the climax of 'War Games'.

wargames4.jpg

Somehow they picture the nuclear arsenal like a scared soldier in the jungle shooting a full-auto fusillade at every shadow in a tree.

600px-PredatorM134handheld-10.jpg

The release of nuclear forces would be a very cold and calculated series of event with dozens of links between the order to attack and the eventual release . At any point in the exchange cooler heads would be controlling moves on both sides.

It

The release of nuclear forces would be a very cold and calculated series of event with dozens of links between the order to attack and the eventual release . At any point in the exchange cooler heads would be controlling moves on both sides.

Just like we saw in the Soviet Union when the system said the US was attacking but an officer over rode the system.

The Soviets never invaded Europe and there was never a nuclear war. Hollywood can dream up fiction all day long to provide entertainment but that is not reality.

It never fails to amaze me that Hollywood can't come up with a nuclear exchange scenario that isn't a full and total release of nuclear weapons. Even people who should know better still believe in their hearts that all The President has to do is push a red button and all the nukes in the world start flying.

People who claim to have worked in the nuclear forces should know that missiles and bombers have target packages. Target packages that have to be ordered by the NCA and have to be loaded into the missiles prior to launch or given to flight crews prior to release.

These same people believe that a computer glitch will trigger a full nuclear exchange, Mad Max scenario like the climax of 'War Games'.

wargames4.jpg

Somehow they picture the nuclear arsenal like a scared soldier in the jungle shooting a full-auto fusillade at every shadow in a tree.

600px-PredatorM134handheld-10.jpg

In 1983, each part was aimed and predetermine ahead of time. In the Silos just turn the keys after the system is cleared from above. No programming done at that point. These were really scary weapons. Both parties were armed. Not to prevent anyone from entering but for the one to shoot the one that didn't turn the key.

Today, the missiles are aimed kind of. They aren't aimed at a target that they want to hit. In case of something really scary, time has to be taken to program them. During that time, maybe cooler heads will prevail. But in 1983, we came within 1 second of total launch by both sides. Even with things safer now, it can still happen. And to make light of it is just uniformed trolling.

It

Just like we saw in the Soviet Union when the system said the US was attacking but an officer over rode the system.

The Soviets never invaded Europe and there was never a nuclear war. Hollywood can dream up fiction all day long to provide entertainment but that is not reality.

Yet, it nearly happened. And why, pray tell, would both sides be so careful to not question if it's real? Because it just MIGHT be real. If it's not then it's good to question. The alternative to being wrong is not something that anyone wished to experience.

[QUOT

Yet, it nearly happened. And why, pray tell, would both sides be so careful to not question if it's real? Because it just MIGHT be real. If it's not then it's good to question. The alternative to being wrong is not something that anyone wished to experience.

Lots of things "nearly" happen but most bad things don't.

Hollywood makes money fictionalizing the things that don't happen. The Day After is a great example.

You should go read Harry Turtledoves's "The Guns of the South". In that book some guy from the future shows up and gives Robert E. Lee 100,000 AK-47s. Now that is real alternative history fiction.

[QUOT

Hollywood makes money fictionalizing the things that don't happen. The Day After is a great example.

You should go read Harry Turtledoves's "The Guns of the South". In that book some guy from the future shows up and gives Robert E. Lee 100,000 AK-47s. Now that is real alternative history fiction.

The Scenario I describe has nearly happened. And that is Fact. Your nonsense is just that, it is impossible. I do hope that if my scenerio does happen, I am the center of one of those blasts. I already am quite aware of the aftermath and don't want a thing to do with it. And I hope it misses you completely and you have to live through it.

[

You don't get it. It was based on facts. .

There was some facts and some fiction.

The facts were that a nuclear arsenal existed. The fictional account is them actually being used. It didn't happen.

because people (i.e., the person in the white house) used to understand that they weren't to be used.

the thing there now doesn't understand why we have a nuclear arsenal if we won't use it.

his words, not mine.

[QUOT

The Scenario I describe has nearly happened. And that is Fact. Your nonsense is just that, it is impossible. I do hope that if my scenerio does happen, I am the center of one of those blasts. I already am quite aware of the aftermath and don't want a thing to do with it. And I hope it misses you completely and you have to live through it.

Lots of things could happen. Nuclear war with the Soviet Union was one that didn't happen. The Day After was fiction.

I spent the summer of 1967 on the Fulda Gap. A few Ks away was the Third Soviet Shock Army posed to invade Europe. There were several books and even a couple of movies about that happening but it never did.

[

The facts were that a nuclear arsenal existed. The fictional account is them actually being used. It didn't happen.

because people (i.e., the person in the white house) used to understand that they weren't to be used.

the thing there now doesn't understand why we have a nuclear arsenal if we won't use it.

his words, not mine.

What I don't think you understand is that the nuclear arsenal is worthless if you have a chickenshit Commander in Chief that doesn't have the courage to use it if the need be and our adversaries know it. You know, like that Obama pussy. Thank god Truman had the courage to use our nuclear arsenal in 1945. That saved a lot more lives in the long run. Thank god that Reagan (with the backing of Thatcher and Kohl) had the courage to forward deploy the Pershing II missiles with nuclear warheads in Europe. That had as much to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union as anything.

[

his words, not mine.

Yes and the words of every President. Are you aware of the fact that ALL Presidents never agree not to use First Strike? I don't know just how clear that makes it to you but the US reserves the right to First Strike. And so does Russia. Russia wants to find a President that would agree to "No" First Strike. But they have struck out. You can try and make this about Trump (it's not) just like another is trying to make it about Obama (it's still not) all you wish. Truth be told, you are just typing to see letters on the screen. A Monkey can do that better.

[

his words, not mine.

Yes and the words of every President. Are you aware of the fact that ALL Presidents never agree not to use First Strike? I don't know just how clear that makes it to you but the US reserves the right to First Strike. And so does Russia. Russia wants to find a President that would agree to "No" First Strike. But they have struck out. You can try and make this about Trump (it's not) just like another is trying to make it about Obama (it's still not) all you wish. Truth be told, you are just typing to see letters on the screen. A Monkey can do that better.

Truman didn't agree to a no first strike, did he?

Very few people have knowledge of the US war plans and the scenarios that could result in a first strike like a tactical strike against invading Soviet troops through the Fulda Gap.

Having that as an option would have been a terrible decision for a President faced with a massive Soviet invasion of Europe. Maybe a Carter would have been too chickenshit and a Reagan not. Who knows? It didn't happen.

The real fact that we need to understand was that American economic and military strength brought down the Communist regime in the Soviet Union that greatly decreased the chance of war.

Because of the weakness of that affirmative action Kenyon that use to be President Trump is now faced with nuclear proliferation in two rogue states in North Korea and Iran. Good thing we have a Commander in Chief with courage or else we would be in a lot more danger than we are now. You can't deal with bullies with weakness. Reagan taught us that.

[

his words, not mine.

Very few people have knowledge of the US war plans and the scenarios that could result in a first strike like a tactical strike against invading Soviet troops through the Fulda Gap.

Having that as an option would have been a terrible decision for a President faced with a massive Soviet invasion of Europe. Maybe a Carter would have been too chickenshit and a Reagan not. Who knows? It didn't happen.

The real fact that we need to understand was that American economic and military strength brought down the Communist regime in the Soviet Union that greatly decreased the chance of war.

Because of the weakness of that affirmative action Kenyon that use to be President Trump is now faced with nuclear proliferation in two rogue states in North Korea and Iran. Good thing we have a Commander in Chief with courage or else we would be in a lot more danger than we are now. You can't deal with bullies with weakness. Reagan taught us that.

Wow, we seem to have an Ultra Rightwing and a Ultra Leftwing pair of Monkeys in here right now. Care to have a :banana2:

[

his words, not mine.

Wow, we seem to have an Ultra Rightwing and a Ultra Leftwing pair of Monkeys in here right now. Care to have a :banana2:

Right Wing is the best Wing.

[

his words, not mine.

What president said “why aren’t we using” nukes? And what “president said “my button is bigger than yours and it works”.

Only one. ....the juvenile ignorant one who is clueless about what the job of president entails

[

his words, not mine.

What president said “why aren’t we using” nukes? And what “president said “my button is bigger than yours and it works”.

Only one. ....the juvenile ignorant one who is clueless about what the job of president entails

It is called "posturing" you nitwit. It is a tool that strong leaders use sometime. They do that against bullies like north Korea and Iran when dealing with nuclear proliferation. Reagan used the threat of America's military power to convince the Soviets that they would go bankrupt typing to establish partity with the US.

Of course if you are a worthless affirmative action pussy coward like Obama you don't have the courage to be forceful with rogue regimes.

Good thing Trump is President. Crooked Hillary would have given the NORKs our nuclear weapons in exchange for a lucrative donation to her money laundering foundation and a nice speaking fee for Slick Willy.

I watched this last year just to relive the memories of youth. I was a young lad when this movie was on TV, I remember watching it with my family and at the time, considering how afraid everyone was of Russia and nuclear war, yeah it was a sobering moment.

When you can sense your parents were uncomfortable watching it, it has an effect on you. Back in 1983 there were far fewer channels and only a few prime ones, ABC, NBC and in Canada we got WUTV which is Fox in Buffalo. So when a movie was promoted as this one was as Made For TV, it was a big deal. Teachers and kids at school talked about the movie the next day.

Even president Reagan was moved by the movie, so it had an impact fair greater than it's quality or even it's accuracy. He apparently decided to try and make peace with the Russians after seeing it, and if I'm not mistaken it was shortly after the U.S almost had a real nuclear situation if not for Petrov in Russia doing he right thing and not retaliating to a false alarm from their satellite.

Scary time indeed. Especially when consider the world was at the mercy of a foreign nation that was quickly becoming technologically a laggard, but they possessed such massive atomic power.
I let me son watch it. He was 10. Some people were absolutely furious that I exposed him to that fear. I said he is old enough to die in an attack, he is old enough to know about it. I did end up feeling bad, though, because a couple days later he asked me in a small voice if we were all going to die in a nuclear attack. I told him probably not; we need to keep working to keep that from happening anywhere. It worried him. I felt bad, but part of me still thinks he had the right to know.

Forum List

Back