The Cruel and Unusual Execution of Clayton Lockett

Finally Lockett managed to speak: “Man.”

Zellmer had seen enough. He came to the gurney and lifted the sheet. Underneath, he saw a protrusion almost the size of a tennis ball on Lockett’s groin.

From the viewing area, Katie Fretland could see the doctor’s face for the first time, and his expression was clear: Oh, fuck. Another witness saw Lockett open his eyes and look right at the doctor, like something out of a horror movie.

The warden glanced under the sheet and noticed what looked like blood and clear liquid pooled around Lockett’s groin. She looked up and addressed the witnesses: “We’re going to lower the blinds, temporarily.”

From the chemical room, the paramedic heard someone say, “He’s trying to get off the table!” She came into the death chamber as the doctor was trying to figure out how to finish the execution.

“I need to get another IV in the left femoral,” Zellmer told her. She swabbed Lockett’s groin with a sterile pad.

“Take deep breaths,” the paramedic told Lockett, in case he could hear her, while Zellmer pushed the short needle back into Lockett’s groin. Blood squirted all over Zellmer, so much of it that it soaked his jacket.

“You’ve hit the artery,” the paramedic said.

“It’ll be all right,” Zellmer told her. “We’ll go ahead and get the drugs.”

Did he intend to put drugs in an artery? The paramedic didn’t want to countermand the doctor’s authority, but that made no sense. “We’ve got to get the vein,” she said. The doctor pulled out the needle.

Lockett mumbled incoherently. His heart rate dropped into the teens as more of the potassium chloride that had been pumped into his groin seeped into his bloodstream. Eventually, the doctor and the paramedic stopped what they were doing.

The warden asked whether it would be possible to resuscitate Lockett. Zellmer said he could start CPR, but that in order to save him, they’d have to take him to an emergency room. This further confused the paramedic. He’s dying, she thought. Isn’t that why we’re here?

Stephanie Neiman’s family was in shock. After the blinds came down, prison staff took them to a rec room and tried to console them. While Neiman’s mother, Susie, wept, someone from the state attorney general’s office tried to explain what had happened, something about Lockett’s heart and a vein exploding. Susie said she wanted to go into the chamber and touch Lockett; otherwise she couldn’t know for sure that her daughter’s killer was dead.

Fretland and the other reporters felt almost as stunned. In the viewing area, a black telephone she hadn’t noticed before started ringing. Robert Patton, the Oklahoma Department of Corrections director, picked it up and left the room, pulling the phone cord out into the hall and closing the door behind him.

Warden Trammell was calling from the death chamber. Patton asked her, “Has enough drugs been administered to cause death?” He heard Trammell repeat the question. He heard the doctor say no.

“Is there another vein available, and if so do you have another set of chemicals back there?” Again, Trammell repeated the question; again the doctor said no.

“I wanna be real clear with this, Warden, and I want you to ask the doctor specifically. Has enough drugs entered the inmate’s system to cause death?” A third time, he heard Trammell repeat the question. A third time, the answer was no.

Patton hung up the phone and huddled in the hallway with the state secretary of safety and security and two members of the attorney general’s office. Someone briefly floated the idea of using the drugs reserved for Charles Warner’s execution. Patton spoke on the phone with the governor’s general counsel, Steve Mullins, in Oklahoma City.

Mullins asked Patton, “Do you want to stop the execution?”

“Yes.”

“You have the authority to stop the execution,” he told Patton.

When they hung up, Mullins called the governor—the basketball game was now an hour from tip-off—to brief her.

At 6:56, a call came in to the death chamber. Patton had instructions for the warden. He said something like “stand down,” which Trammell didn’t quite understand.

“Do you mean to stop?”

Yes, he said, stop the execution.
The Execution of Clayton Lockett - The Atlantic

Another long read. We are going to be doing this topic until June prolly.

"In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death. Previously Lockett was sentenced to four years in prison for a conviction in 1996 in Grady County for conspiracy to commit a felony.[1]

At his 1999 murder trial, DNA from the dead victim, fingerprints from the duct tape used to bind the victim, and eye-witness testimony led to his murder conviction."
Execution of Clayton Lockett - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Lucky for him they don't let murder victim's families choose the method or do it themselves.

I'd smile-kill animals like this and execute them with a dull carrot peeler skinning them alive, awake, and able to feel their skin being peeled from their bodies.

Quit caring so damn much about wastes of skin, and instead care about their victims.

But, I do.

Murderers and other criminals made their decision to victimize others. What happens to them from then on is on them. In the case of a murderer in particular, the very sickest and depraved method of termination from the best 1980s gore flick movie directors can come up with is too good for them.

You still haven't understood the basis of my allegations and you are still arguing with me about your misunderstanding.
My goodness ... No wonder you will never understand ... You cannot accept that you are supporting something that contradicts your desires.

If you want to make a case for the means justifying the ends ... Then accept that your are pursuing a course that is fucking the people you want to help before you get within sight of the ends.

No one has the obligation to think that you nor your opinion in the matter supersedes the law ... You just aren't that special.
If you had the capability to understand the implications described in the article ... Outside the attempt to be spoon fed your desired outcome ... then it would be possible for you to understand how things could certainly be done better.

You are not stopping executions ... And you support the idea the drugs that would provide better conditions should not be available.
That is like saying you don't want houses to be painted ... So you are going to make sure we all use hammers instead paintbrushes.

The houses will be painted ... Just a shitty job in the longrun.

Murderers and other criminals made their decision to victimize others. What happens to them from then on is on them. In the case of a murderer in particular, the very sickest and depraved method of termination from the best 1980s gore flick movie directors can come up with is too good for them.

What's this?
Innocence List of Those Freed From Death Row Death Penalty Information Center

and this:
Free The West Memphis Three

and this:
Cameron Todd Willingham Innocent and Executed

Make no mistake, if you murder someone one I want you to rot in prison for the rest of your life.......no fucking parole.

You still haven't understood the basis of my allegations and you are still arguing with me about your misunderstanding.
My goodness ... No wonder you will never understand ... You cannot accept that you are supporting something that contradicts your desires.

If you want to make a case for the means justifying the ends ... Then accept that your are pursuing a course that is fucking the people you want to help before you get within sight of the ends.

No one has the obligation to think that you nor your opinion in the matter supersedes the law ... You just aren't that special.
If you had the capability to understand the implications described in the article ... Outside the attempt to be spoon fed your desired outcome ... then it would be possible for you to understand how things could certainly be done better.

You are not stopping executions ... And you support the idea the drugs that would provide better conditions should not be available.
That is like saying you don't want houses to be painted ... So you are going to make sure we all use hammers instead paintbrushes.

The houses will be painted ... Just a shitty job in the longrun.

I understood you just fine and from the get go.

One, put executions on hold nationally until we can get the "never a wrongful execution" squared away.

Two, put executions on hold nationally until we can get the right type of execution.

Because locking someone up for 50 years until they die due to wrongful conviction is somehow worse than executing them after 20. Why not just stop putting people in jail if you go by the "just one wrong conviction" standard?

Plus, without the death penalty most of these cases won't get a second sniff, OR the level of appeals. But that innocent guy rotting for 50 years on 3 hots and a cot is out of sight and out of mind.

What's this?

and this:

and this:

Make no mistake, if you murder someone one I want you to rot in prison for the rest of your life.......no fucking parole.

Here is a proposal. I would agree to getting rid of the death penalty on one condition. The most serious punishment is you get to break up a boulder with a ball peen hammer. After you break it up, you get to crazy glue it back together. after that you get a new boulder. If you don't spend at least 8 hours a day on the boulder, you don't eat.

Twisted thinking, Marty. I said until we get it straight. You said leave them for fifty years wrongfully convicted.

What's this?

and this:

and this:

Here is a proposal. I would agree to getting rid of the death penalty on one condition. The most serious punishment is you get to break up a boulder with a ball peen hammer. After you break it up, you get to crazy glue it back together. after that you get a new boulder. If you don't spend at least 8 hours a day on the boulder, you don't eat.

Derp.

Twisted thinking, Marty. I said until we get it straight. You said leave them for fifty years wrongfully convicted.

What I said was what is the difference between executing an innocent man after 20 years in jail, and the same innocent man dying after being in there for 50.

What's this?

and this:

and this:

Derp.

For some people the idea that you can kill someone and continue to live while the victim is in the ground is not acceptable. If these people do not think they are getting justice, they may take it into their own hands, which is what a justice system is supposed to prevent.

What's this?

and this:

and this:

Derp.

For some people the idea that you can kill someone and continue to live while the victim is in the ground is not acceptable. If these people do not think they are getting justice, they may take it into their own hands, which is what a justice system is supposed to prevent.

Yes. And?

What's this?

and this:

and this:

Derp.

Yes. And?

Is that all you got?

What's this?

and this:

and this:

Derp.

Yes. And?

Is that all you got?

I am waiting on you to expand on it. You don't really have anything to debate with there.

"In 1992, at the age of sixteen, he pleaded guilty in Kay County to burglary and knowingly concealing stolen property. He received a seven-year prison sentence. Earlier that year, he pleaded no contest to two counts of intimidating state witnesses.

In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death."

So, he kidnapped a 19 year old girl, raped and sodomized her, beat her, shot her twice and then buried her alive.

Wonder how upset she would feel to here about his "botched" execution?

Yeah, I am certainly not in favor of going out of our way to make an execution brutal, but my heart is not exactly weeping for this guy.

Derp.

Yes. And?

Is that all you got?

I am waiting on you to expand on it. You don't really have anything to debate with there.

What I am asking is what is your response to people who don't think life in prison for certain types of murder is punishment enough, and what if they are relations of the victim(s)?

"In 1992, at the age of sixteen, he pleaded guilty in Kay County to burglary and knowingly concealing stolen property. He received a seven-year prison sentence. Earlier that year, he pleaded no contest to two counts of intimidating state witnesses.

In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death."

So, he kidnapped a 19 year old girl, raped and sodomized her, beat her, shot her twice and then buried her alive.

Wonder how upset she would feel to here about his "botched" execution?

Yeah, I am certainly not in favor of going out of our way to make an execution brutal, but my heart is not exactly weeping for this guy.

If we went back to simpler methods that were quicker it wouldn't be an issue. There is nothing wrong with the electric chair, hanging, or firing squad.

Yes. And?

Is that all you got?

What I am asking is what is your response to people who don't think life in prison for certain types of murder is punishment enough, and what if they are relations of the victim(s)?

Well, my response has not changed. First, if you can't nail them correct 100 percent of the time then don't do it. Two, the state takes on the role of the victim. Period.

And three, if you are going to continue to try to do.......don't screw it up.

Yes. And?

Is that all you got?

Well, my response has not changed. First, if you can't nail them correct 100 percent of the time then don't do it. Two, the state takes on the role of the victim. Period.

Again, what is the real difference between incarcerating someone for 50 years and having them die naturally and executing one after 20 years if both are innocent?

In fact, you have a better shot of clearing the guy on death row because of all the attention on him, and the legally mandated appeals.

If you don't placate the survivors of the victim enough times, they will take the law into their own hands, and to me they would be justified.

Yes. And?

Is that all you got?

Again, what is the real difference between incarcerating someone for 50 years and having them die naturally and executing one after 20 years if both are innocent?

In fact, you have a better shot of clearing the guy on death row because of all the attention on him, and the legally mandated appeals.

If you don't placate the survivors of the victim enough times, they will take the law into their own hands, and to me they would be justified.

This: there is no chance if he/she is dead. That one is obvious.

No. You don't have a better shot.

Again. The state takes on the role of the victim.

Forum List

Back