The Cruel and Unusual Execution of Clayton Lockett

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Finally Lockett managed to speak: “Man.”

Zellmer had seen enough. He came to the gurney and lifted the sheet. Underneath, he saw a protrusion almost the size of a tennis ball on Lockett’s groin.

From the viewing area, Katie Fretland could see the doctor’s face for the first time, and his expression was clear: Oh, fuck. Another witness saw Lockett open his eyes and look right at the doctor, like something out of a horror movie.

The warden glanced under the sheet and noticed what looked like blood and clear liquid pooled around Lockett’s groin. She looked up and addressed the witnesses: “We’re going to lower the blinds, temporarily.”

From the chemical room, the paramedic heard someone say, “He’s trying to get off the table!” She came into the death chamber as the doctor was trying to figure out how to finish the execution.

“I need to get another IV in the left femoral,” Zellmer told her. She swabbed Lockett’s groin with a sterile pad.

“Take deep breaths,” the paramedic told Lockett, in case he could hear her, while Zellmer pushed the short needle back into Lockett’s groin. Blood squirted all over Zellmer, so much of it that it soaked his jacket.

“You’ve hit the artery,” the paramedic said.

“It’ll be all right,” Zellmer told her. “We’ll go ahead and get the drugs.”

Did he intend to put drugs in an artery? The paramedic didn’t want to countermand the doctor’s authority, but that made no sense. “We’ve got to get the vein,” she said. The doctor pulled out the needle.

Lockett mumbled incoherently. His heart rate dropped into the teens as more of the potassium chloride that had been pumped into his groin seeped into his bloodstream. Eventually, the doctor and the paramedic stopped what they were doing.

The warden asked whether it would be possible to resuscitate Lockett. Zellmer said he could start CPR, but that in order to save him, they’d have to take him to an emergency room. This further confused the paramedic. He’s dying, she thought. Isn’t that why we’re here?

Stephanie Neiman’s family was in shock. After the blinds came down, prison staff took them to a rec room and tried to console them. While Neiman’s mother, Susie, wept, someone from the state attorney general’s office tried to explain what had happened, something about Lockett’s heart and a vein exploding. Susie said she wanted to go into the chamber and touch Lockett; otherwise she couldn’t know for sure that her daughter’s killer was dead.

Fretland and the other reporters felt almost as stunned. In the viewing area, a black telephone she hadn’t noticed before started ringing. Robert Patton, the Oklahoma Department of Corrections director, picked it up and left the room, pulling the phone cord out into the hall and closing the door behind him.

Warden Trammell was calling from the death chamber. Patton asked her, “Has enough drugs been administered to cause death?” He heard Trammell repeat the question. He heard the doctor say no.

“Is there another vein available, and if so do you have another set of chemicals back there?” Again, Trammell repeated the question; again the doctor said no.

“I wanna be real clear with this, Warden, and I want you to ask the doctor specifically. Has enough drugs entered the inmate’s system to cause death?” A third time, he heard Trammell repeat the question. A third time, the answer was no.

Patton hung up the phone and huddled in the hallway with the state secretary of safety and security and two members of the attorney general’s office. Someone briefly floated the idea of using the drugs reserved for Charles Warner’s execution. Patton spoke on the phone with the governor’s general counsel, Steve Mullins, in Oklahoma City.

Mullins asked Patton, “Do you want to stop the execution?”

“Yes.”

“You have the authority to stop the execution,” he told Patton.

When they hung up, Mullins called the governor—the basketball game was now an hour from tip-off—to brief her.

At 6:56, a call came in to the death chamber. Patton had instructions for the warden. He said something like “stand down,” which Trammell didn’t quite understand.

“Do you mean to stop?”

Yes, he said, stop the execution.
The Execution of Clayton Lockett - The Atlantic

Another long read. We are going to be doing this topic until June prolly.

If you can stand to read them, there are many sites that describe executions. Most are not what we think they are. Most are botched.

If you can stand to read them, there are many sites that describe executions. Most are not what we think they are. Most are botched.

Are you an Errol Morris fan? The first half of this is about this guy Leuchter considered to be an expert for the electric chair. That's just scary.

I can't watch videos.

Yeah, I know, everybody can watch videos. But its the price we pay for living on a lake out in the middle of nowhere.

That was an interesting story ... Absent the unfortunate ordeal that Lockett went through in the death chamber.

What amazed me is how there doesn't seem to be an acknowledgement recognizing the involvement of the FDA, DEA, Foreign governments, foreign citizens, lawyers, judges and a plethora of other folks attempting to circumvent the State of Oklahoma's (among other states) Capital Punishment Law ... Ultimately created the conditions that removed the appropriate drugs from availability ... And subsequently have led to the use of inferior drugs.

But I get it ... They want to make it worse so more people won't support Capital Punishment ... But they aren't doing the condemned any favors in the process.

One, put executions on hold nationally until we can get the "never a wrongful execution" squared away.

Two, put executions on hold nationally until we can get the right type of execution.

Execution of Clayton Lockett - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"In 1992, at the age of sixteen, he pleaded guilty in Kay County to burglary and knowingly concealing stolen property. He received a seven-year prison sentence. Earlier that year, he pleaded no contest to two counts of intimidating state witnesses.

In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death."

So, he kidnapped a 19 year old girl, raped and sodomized her, beat her, shot her twice and then buried her alive.

Wonder how upset she would feel to here about his "botched" execution?

"In 1992, at the age of sixteen, he pleaded guilty in Kay County to burglary and knowingly concealing stolen property. He received a seven-year prison sentence. Earlier that year, he pleaded no contest to two counts of intimidating state witnesses.

In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death."

So, he kidnapped a 19 year old girl, raped and sodomized her, beat her, shot her twice and then buried her alive.

Wonder how upset she would feel to here about his "botched" execution?

Her mother wanted to make sure that he was dead.

That was an interesting story ... Absent the unfortunate ordeal that Lockett went through in the death chamber.

What amazed me is how there doesn't seem to be an acknowledgement recognizing the involvement of the FDA, DEA, Foreign governments, foreign citizens, lawyers, judges and a plethora of other folks attempting to circumvent the State of Oklahoma's (among other states) Capital Punishment Law ... Ultimately created the conditions that removed the appropriate drugs from availability ... And subsequently have led to the use of inferior drugs.

But I get it ... They want to make it worse so more people won't support Capital Punishment ... But they aren't doing the condemned any favors in the process.

Did you miss this?
The problems began at a pharmaceutical plant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. The Food and Drug Administration discovered that some of the drugs made there were contaminated and in April 2010 sent the manufacturer, Hospira, a warning letter. Hospira stopped producing, among other drugs, a barbiturate called sodium thiopental. No other company was approved by the FDA to make sodium thiopental, which was the anesthetic of choice for almost all of the states that carried out executions. (The death penalty is legal in 32 states; 17 of them have performed an execution in the past five years.)

With sodium thiopental suddenly unavailable, states scrambled to find alternatives. In June of that year, officials in Georgia discovered a work-around: a small-time businessman in London named Mehdi Alavi, who sold wholesale drugs through a company called Dream Pharma, would ship sodium thiopental to them. Georgia bought some from him, and then Arkansas did too. With Hospira offline, Alavi had the U.S. execution market cornered. Arizona bought sodium thiopental from him in late September and used it the next month to execute a convicted murderer named Jeffrey Landrigan. California placed an order as well.

Maya Foa, an anti-death-penalty advocate based in London, saw Dream Pharma mentioned in court documents related to Landrigan’s execution and decided to pay a visit. At the company’s address, she found a small building with peeling white paint and a placard that read Elgone Driving Academy. Inside she found two desks and, in the back of the room, a single cabinet. That was it: Dream Pharma. Alavi imported execution drugs from elsewhere in Europe and shipped them to the United States, using that cupboard in a driving school as his base of operations.

Did you miss this?
The problems began at a pharmaceutical plant in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. The Food and Drug Administration discovered that some of the drugs made there were contaminated and in April 2010 sent the manufacturer, Hospira, a warning letter. Hospira stopped producing, among other drugs, a barbiturate called sodium thiopental. No other company was approved by the FDA to make sodium thiopental, which was the anesthetic of choice for almost all of the states that carried out executions. (The death penalty is legal in 32 states; 17 of them have performed an execution in the past five years.)

With sodium thiopental suddenly unavailable, states scrambled to find alternatives. In June of that year, officials in Georgia discovered a work-around: a small-time businessman in London named Mehdi Alavi, who sold wholesale drugs through a company called Dream Pharma, would ship sodium thiopental to them. Georgia bought some from him, and then Arkansas did too. With Hospira offline, Alavi had the U.S. execution market cornered. Arizona bought sodium thiopental from him in late September and used it the next month to execute a convicted murderer named Jeffrey Landrigan. California placed an order as well.

Maya Foa, an anti-death-penalty advocate based in London, saw Dream Pharma mentioned in court documents related to Landrigan’s execution and decided to pay a visit. At the company’s address, she found a small building with peeling white paint and a placard that read Elgone Driving Academy. Inside she found two desks and, in the back of the room, a single cabinet. That was it: Dream Pharma. Alavi imported execution drugs from elsewhere in Europe and shipped them to the United States, using that cupboard in a driving school as his base of operations.

I didn't miss a single part of it ... And read the entire thing ... Twice!

I know exactly what the article said and was trying to express throughout the entire piece ... First word to last word both times.
I have extensive experience with the FDA and 483 Findings ... And how to address them ... As well as the extent the FDA will go to in order to get what they want.
A problem with one supplier or another can be fixed with the appropriate corrective action and compliance requirements without attempts to circumvent the law for political or personal preferences.

We are not all ignorant boobs that need to be spoon fed information with editorial prejudice and absent any additional understanding.
There are many other aspects of the story that are suspicious and could be assumed to be added as a simple attempt to influence the discussion (topic of the article).
But they were just suspicious ... Don't warrant petty argument ... And would detract from the emphasis I had wished to present.

That you?

Yes, it is. About 1/3 of that article is acknowledgement. AND that is more in depth than any of the pro DP folks have been able to throw down.

That you?

Yes, it is. About 1/3 of that article is acknowledgement. AND that is more in depth than any of the pro DP folks have been able to throw down.

So you think it was a good idea to attempt to stop the use of appropriate drugs ... So that we would now be using inferior drugs?
You think that helps the condemned that are not given the appropriate drugs?

The whole fricken article was a ... "look what we accomplished ... shame on you" ... plug.
If you want to circumvent the law in order to achieve what you believe to be a better result ... That takes courage and fortitude ... Nothing I would argue with.
When you fuck everything up and make it worse for the people you are trying to help ... At least have the common sense necessary to understand you are not helping them.

That you?

So you think it was a good idea to attempt to stop the use of appropriate drugs ... So that we would now be using inferior drugs?
You think that helps the condemned that are not given the appropriate drugs?

The whole fricken article was a ... "look what we accomplished ... shame on you" ... plug.
If you want to circumvent the law in order to achieve what you believe to be a better result ... That takes courage and fortitude ... Nothing I would argue with.
When you fuck everything up and make it worse for the people you are trying to help ... At least have the common sense necessary to understand you are not helping them.

Those good ideas you have should have stopped with the execution of the innocent
Cameron Todd Willingham. So, I've learned not to expect a hell of a lot.

The whole article explained why it wasn't available right down to the prison raids. In fact, there are several identifiable issues with the actual event: level of experience, confused motives (take him to the ER to save him/wait..he's supposed to die).

Your companies don't want it used. Akorn doesn't want midazolam used. That didn't come from anyone but Akorn. Nobody is harassing your local companies. That's what the shield laws are being created for. Isn't that right? Just in case they want to sell the drugs..............not because the pharmaceutical companies want to.

Your companies don't want it used. Akorn doesn't want midazolam used. That didn't come from anyone but Akorn. Nobody is harassing your local companies. That's what the shield laws are being created for. Isn't that right? Just in case they want to sell the drugs..............not because the pharmaceutical companies want to.

You don't have to explain what the article said ... I read it the same as you.

I mentioned the DEA's complicity in the prison raids ... I understand you are against capital punishment and don't care how you fuck things up and then celebrate your failure.
If you are too slow to understand why the companies were targeted ... And the results of the targeting ... Then you are not that bright because the article says why.
The compounding pharmacies had agreed to make the appropriate drugs for the specific purpose ... Unless you conveniently forgot that part.

But hey ... If your idea of assistance to the condemned consists of ... "It is all fucked up, the drugs are bad ... And we helped ensure there was nothing better they could use" ... Well, it's a free country and you can say that.

You aren't saving the condemned from execution ... You don't even turn them into good martyrs ... You just prolong their pain and punishment with inadequate response.
Not that I will ever expect you to understand that ... Probably just wee bit over your head., and would require a twinge of humility and responsibility.

Finally Lockett managed to speak: “Man.”

Zellmer had seen enough. He came to the gurney and lifted the sheet. Underneath, he saw a protrusion almost the size of a tennis ball on Lockett’s groin.

From the viewing area, Katie Fretland could see the doctor’s face for the first time, and his expression was clear: Oh, fuck. Another witness saw Lockett open his eyes and look right at the doctor, like something out of a horror movie.

The warden glanced under the sheet and noticed what looked like blood and clear liquid pooled around Lockett’s groin. She looked up and addressed the witnesses: “We’re going to lower the blinds, temporarily.”

From the chemical room, the paramedic heard someone say, “He’s trying to get off the table!” She came into the death chamber as the doctor was trying to figure out how to finish the execution.

“I need to get another IV in the left femoral,” Zellmer told her. She swabbed Lockett’s groin with a sterile pad.

“Take deep breaths,” the paramedic told Lockett, in case he could hear her, while Zellmer pushed the short needle back into Lockett’s groin. Blood squirted all over Zellmer, so much of it that it soaked his jacket.

“You’ve hit the artery,” the paramedic said.

“It’ll be all right,” Zellmer told her. “We’ll go ahead and get the drugs.”

Did he intend to put drugs in an artery? The paramedic didn’t want to countermand the doctor’s authority, but that made no sense. “We’ve got to get the vein,” she said. The doctor pulled out the needle.

Lockett mumbled incoherently. His heart rate dropped into the teens as more of the potassium chloride that had been pumped into his groin seeped into his bloodstream. Eventually, the doctor and the paramedic stopped what they were doing.

The warden asked whether it would be possible to resuscitate Lockett. Zellmer said he could start CPR, but that in order to save him, they’d have to take him to an emergency room. This further confused the paramedic. He’s dying, she thought. Isn’t that why we’re here?

Stephanie Neiman’s family was in shock. After the blinds came down, prison staff took them to a rec room and tried to console them. While Neiman’s mother, Susie, wept, someone from the state attorney general’s office tried to explain what had happened, something about Lockett’s heart and a vein exploding. Susie said she wanted to go into the chamber and touch Lockett; otherwise she couldn’t know for sure that her daughter’s killer was dead.

Fretland and the other reporters felt almost as stunned. In the viewing area, a black telephone she hadn’t noticed before started ringing. Robert Patton, the Oklahoma Department of Corrections director, picked it up and left the room, pulling the phone cord out into the hall and closing the door behind him.

Warden Trammell was calling from the death chamber. Patton asked her, “Has enough drugs been administered to cause death?” He heard Trammell repeat the question. He heard the doctor say no.

“Is there another vein available, and if so do you have another set of chemicals back there?” Again, Trammell repeated the question; again the doctor said no.

“I wanna be real clear with this, Warden, and I want you to ask the doctor specifically. Has enough drugs entered the inmate’s system to cause death?” A third time, he heard Trammell repeat the question. A third time, the answer was no.

Patton hung up the phone and huddled in the hallway with the state secretary of safety and security and two members of the attorney general’s office. Someone briefly floated the idea of using the drugs reserved for Charles Warner’s execution. Patton spoke on the phone with the governor’s general counsel, Steve Mullins, in Oklahoma City.

Mullins asked Patton, “Do you want to stop the execution?”

“Yes.”

“You have the authority to stop the execution,” he told Patton.

When they hung up, Mullins called the governor—the basketball game was now an hour from tip-off—to brief her.

At 6:56, a call came in to the death chamber. Patton had instructions for the warden. He said something like “stand down,” which Trammell didn’t quite understand.

“Do you mean to stop?”

Yes, he said, stop the execution.
The Execution of Clayton Lockett - The Atlantic

Another long read. We are going to be doing this topic until June prolly.

"In 1999, Lockett kidnapped, beat, and shot Stephanie Neiman, a nineteen-year-old high school graduate, friend of Lockett's other victims, and a witness to his crimes. The men beat her and used duct tape to bind her hands and cover her mouth. Even after being kidnapped and driven to a dusty country road, Neiman did not back down when Lockett asked if she planned to contact police. After she stated she would go to the police, Lockett decided to bury her alive.[5] Lockett ordered an accomplice to bury her while she was still breathing. She died from two wounds from a shotgun fired by Lockett.[5] In 2000, he was convicted of murder, rape, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, assault and battery and sentenced to death. Previously Lockett was sentenced to four years in prison for a conviction in 1996 in Grady County for conspiracy to commit a felony.[1]

At his 1999 murder trial, DNA from the dead victim, fingerprints from the duct tape used to bind the victim, and eye-witness testimony led to his murder conviction."

Lucky for him they don't let murder victim's families choose the method or do it themselves.

I'd smile-kill animals like this and execute them with a dull carrot peeler skinning them alive, awake, and able to feel their skin being peeled from their bodies.

Quit caring so damn much about wastes of skin, and instead care about their victims.

You don't have to explain what the article said ... I read it the same as you.
I mentioned the DEA's complicity in the prison raids ... I understand you are against capital punishment and don't care how you fuck things up and then celebrate your failure.
If you are too slow to understand why the companies were targeted ... And the results of the targeting ... Then you are not that bright because the article says why.
The compounding pharmacies had agreed to make the appropriate drugs for the specific purpose ... Unless you conveniently forgot that part.

But hey ... If your idea of assistance to the condemned consists of ... "It is all fucked up, the drugs are bad ... And we helped ensure there was nothing better they could use" ... Well, it's a free country and you can say that.

You aren't saving the condemned from execution ... You don't even turn them into good martyrs ... You just prolong their pain and punishment with inadequate response.

Seriously? It was warranted as you made allegations that none of that was included. It just didn't say that the state was a victim in this matter. I understand that you are pro DP and pontificate greatly on state rights and political victim-hood to achieve your stance.
Further, I had acknowledged that there were serious problems and specifically with responses to this execution in process.

What you want me to say is ...........poor state rights. Well, someone pin a little flag on you for that one.

If you aren't bright enough to recognize that the plethora of wrongly convicted and exonerated death row inmates AND those that were wrongly executed are enough to stop it, then I have zero expectations that you have the capacity to grasp the rest of it because, again, for you, it's about state rights. You ALREADY FUCKED UP when you executed an innocent man.

Thiopental study in 2005:
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)66377-5/abstract

Even when it was available there were issues because.........?

Because the staff is not trained to kill. Because pharmaceutical companies don't try to kill. Because doctors don't try to kill. Because it's difficult to run any type of testing to kill.

And the above is why Oklahoma's attempt to discredit Lumbarsky and Sasich are laughable.

And when you use thiopental or pentobarbital in assisted suicides you still have problems with it. STILL. And they are trying to die.

Same drugs are used:
http://public.health.oregon.gov/Pro...arch/DeathwithDignityAct/Documents/year16.pdf

Those unregulated compounding pharmacies are about to be bitch slapped in an entirely different arena. And given that? There should be no top secret bullshit with them.

Forum List

Back