CDZ The Confederate (Rebel) Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive because it represents human slavery.

What if a 20 year old has one in his truck, mailbox etc. but has it because to him, it is just pride of being from the South? To me, it's the intent with which it is displayed. No?
Suppose it was a swastika? Would you assume the 20 year old is just showing pride in being from Germany? Any time you display a symbol such as; a Christian cross, a swastika, or a hammer and sickle you are making a statement of support.

Not a fair comparison. The swastika (Nazi version) did represent a government, like the CF did in its various forms, but it never represented a German culture. Southern culture had already existed as distinct on its own, before the Civil War started. Some of that antebellum culture did involve slavery --- but that isn't the only thing it involved. By contrast, did Nazism -- which is specifically and exclusively a government-- ever represent anything more than unbridled conquest and genocide?

I think it's safe to say that other than military personnel during WWII, nobody has ever displayed a swastika simply to show they're from Germany. That's quite a difference between the two.

That ignorance illustrates the entire non-argument.

Using that (lack of) logic, the American flag, too, represents a heritage of slavery. Cherry pick to push a political agenda. Propaganda.

That's true too. Selective symbolism can represent, on the part on the selector, anything he wants. To a lot of people in a lot of places, the Stars and Stripes also represents conquest and genocide -- like the swastika. Who's to judge?

"Changing the subject to me personally is against the rules".

Those are your words only. You changed the OP with your non-applicable long, long, long posts. Please stop.

Selective symbolism, whether for benign purposes or not, needs to be evaluated in relationship to the OP.

Last edited:

Using that (lack of) logic, the American flag, too, represents a heritage of slavery. Cherry pick to push a political agenda. Propaganda.

That's true too. Selective symbolism can represent, on the part on the selector, anything he wants. To a lot of people in a lot of places, the Stars and Stripes also represents conquest and genocide -- like the swastika. Who's to judge?
Poor analogy. The swastika as a nazi emblem was pretty exclusive when it comes to genocide and fascism.

Poor analogy. The swastika as a nazi emblem was pretty exclusive when it comes to genocide and fascism.
While the Confederate flags are identified with slavery and segregation.

That's exactly what I just said in post 42. :uhh:

What purpose does a flag serve?

Flags can be an emblem of national pride. They can rally troops on a battlefield. They can identify ships on the high seas. They can inspire. They can terrorize.

The Confederate battle flag served all these purposes. But it also represents the vilest cause ever fought for on this continent. The history of this flag is drenched in hatred, bigotry, fear and intimidation. The purpose this flag serves in America today does not reflect the purpose it was designed for 155 years ago. It can never again make that ancient reflection gleam with pride.

Today the context of the Confederate battle flag is one of hatred and intimidation alone. No one can take pride in the cause it was designed originally to represent. No one can take pride in what that banner represents today.

That's exactly what I just said in post 42. :uhh:
My bad. I thought you were directly comparing the American flag to a swastika. The swastika was way more exclusive in its advocacy of genocide and fascism.

Do I find the flag offensive? Yeah. Because this is supposed to be the UNITED States of America, not a division between North and South.

If you want to display a flag, display the one that is the flag of the United States, the Stars and Bars.

Sorry............but the South lost the Civil War. Losers don't get to keep their flags.

Bingo.

While the Confederate flags are identified with slavery and segregation.
No more than the American flag. Both represent way more but those who disparage either do so with a dishonest selectivity.

Damn! I never realized that the Duke Boys were so racist when I was growing up. I wonder if there is any relation to David Duke?

And I really believed that they were goog ol' boys!

Good ol' boys. Not goog.

It is like the Che Guevara red T-shirts.

The Guevara T's are annoying because Guevara was a Commie loser bastard who was constantly violent and needed to be assassinated.

Which happened long ago, loser posers.

The same goes for the Confederate Battle flag which yells "look at me! My owner is a loser who self-identifies with a group of long gone loser states that do not exist."

You can lead a moron to the 21st century but you can't make him think.

Regards from Rosie

Who cares, by that logic, the US flag is offensive, as is the British, French, Spanish, and Ottoman Flag as slavery was practiced by all these countries..

Go cry about "racism" in the corner you big gay baby.
Your mislogic should make you cry.
Abraham Lincoln didn't even start the Civil War to end slavery, and didn't free a single slave during the war or his entire presidency.

It is ironic that on one hand people condemn involuntary servitude, yet on the other support an involuntary union and oppose secession.

Who cares, by that logic, the US flag is offensive, as is the British, French, Spanish, and Ottoman Flag as slavery was practiced by all these countries..

Go cry about "racism" in the corner you big gay baby.
Your mislogic should make you cry.
Abraham Lincoln didn't even start the Civil War to end slavery, and didn't free a single slave during the war or his entire presidency.

The first statement is true; the second one is bullshit.

The Emancipation Proclamation didn't free all slaves (just the ones in the Confederacy) but it did free the majority, and was in part a tactical/political move, to keep European powers from getting involved on the South's side.

"Abraham Lincoln didn't even start the Civil War..."

That part is correct, at least.

Bullshit alert!!!!!

FYI, The swastika motif predates the NAZI party by many centuries.
You must have missed the written caveat 'as a nazi emblem'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back