The Confederacy and States' Rights

The tariff was not excuse to secede. To protect slavery in the minds of many was. That old degraded model of Americanism was killed during the Civil War. Good.

If the war had been fought over slavery itself, there'd have been no slave states in the union.

Trigger =/= 'only cause'

The tariff was not excuse to secede. To protect slavery in the minds of many was. That old degraded model of Americanism was killed during the Civil War. Good.

South Carolina was the only state in the south that listed "slavery" as their reason for seceding...all other's listed "state's rights".

You completely ignore the fact that 4 slave holding states remained with the north and their slaves were not freed by the emancipation proclamation....

Only 5% of Americans held slaves and of those 5%, some were black. To claim that slavery is THE reason for the war between the states is ignorance at best.

To believe that 95% of the people in the south would fight for slaves they didn't own is just plain naive.

South Carolina was the only state in the south that listed "slavery" as their reason for seceding...all other's listed "state's rights".

You completely ignore the fact that 4 slave holding states remained with the north and their slaves were not freed by the emancipation proclamation....

Only 5% of Americans held slaves and of those 5%, some were black. To claim that slavery is THE reason for the war between the states is ignorance at best.

To believe that 95% of the people in the south would fight for slaves they didn't own is just plain naive.
You are wrong.

Slavery is mentioned as the reason for secession 114 times.

South Carolina Declarations of Causes of Seceding States American Civil War
Mississippi Declarations of Causes of Seceding States
Georgia Declarations of Causes of Seceding States Civil War
Texas Declarations of Causes of Seceding States

The Vice President of the Confederacy said Slavery was the CORNERSTONE of their new country.

And 25-30% of Southern families owned slaves.

Get a history book, spend some quality time reading and bone up before you continue to embarrass yourself.

You are wrong.

The Vice President of the Confederacy said Slavery was the CORNERSTONE of their new country.

Get a history book, spend some quality time reading and bone up before you continue to embarrass yourself.

I have a history book, but I will admit, your site is interesting and I'll spend some time reading there. I never said slavery wasn't A reason for the war, just not THE reason.

You are wrong.

I have a history book, but I will admit, your site is interesting and I'll spend some time reading there. I never said slavery wasn't A reason for the war, just not THE reason.

Slavery was THE reason for the war. Sure there were other reasons, but most of the nitwits who support the notion that slaveryw as a side issue ignore that those who went to war first went to war as property holders,,,slave holders.

I have a friend who is a historian from South Carolina. He's done researched and published things for the State of South Carolina. He's done reseach on Bishop Lynch, the Roman Catholic mouth peace for the rebels. His story is a complex one, but he defended slavery for the Confederacy while in Europe. Later he founded some of the first charities for emancipated slaves.

nuf said.
:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

You are wrong.

And the President of the Confederacy said slavery was not the reason for the war.

You are wrong.

Slavery was THE reason for the war. Sure there were other reasons, but most of the nitwits who support the notion that slaveryw as a side issue ignore that those who went to war first went to war as property holders,,,slave holders.

I have a friend who is a historian from South Carolina. He's done researched and published things for the State of South Carolina. He's done reseach on Bishop Lynch, the Roman Catholic mouth peace for the rebels. His story is a complex one, but he defended slavery for the Confederacy while in Europe. Later he founded some of the first charities for emancipated slaves.

nuf said.

Again, how can it be "THE" reason for the war when 4 slaveholding states remained with the north and their slaves were not freed by the Emancipation Proclamation?

Post the link to the entire address of the CSA President, please, KK. I would like to read it in its entirety.

nuf said.

Again, how can it be "THE" reason for the war when 4 slaveholding states remained with the north and their slaves were not freed by the Emancipation Proclamation?

Because those states upheld (1) constitutional electoral process, (2) respect for federal property, and (3) no slavery in the territories. The seceding states decried the first and second and demanded the third, all in the name of their master white race democracy based on slavery.

Post the link to the entire address of the CSA President, please, KK. I would like to read it in its entirety.

No. Rehashing this subject with you is very low on my list of priorities. It would be a waste of my time and effort.

I have given you every link for my evidence and fact throughout this discussion. Now you refuse me the same courtesy?

nuf said.

Because those states upheld (1) constitutional electoral process, (2) respect for federal property, and (3) no slavery in the territories. The seceding states decried the first and second and demanded the third, all in the name of their master white race democracy based on slavery.

There were black slave holders.....one of them owned as many as 60 slaves.

Yes, there were black slave holders, which has nothing to do with this discussion. You might like (I really think KevinKennedy would as well) to read The Lost German Slave Girl: The Extraordinary True Story Of Sally Miller And Her Fight For Freedom in Old New Orleans by John Bailey.

Then you concede the point. Thank you.

:lol:

Yes, I concede to your superior intelligence. Every fairy tale about Abraham Lincoln I've ever heard is obviously true. I have seen the light, and apologize for my former ignorance.

Such mocking only mocks your position on Davis and slavery as the not the cause of the war. Post the link if you have it.

Yes, there were a few.
Back then, all you had to have was one drop of negro blood in you to be considered 'black.'

No. Rehashing this subject with you is very low on my list of priorities. It would be a waste of my time and effort.

Here you go?

Davis--Inaugural Address

The declared purpose of the compact of Union from which we have withdrawn was "to establish justice, insure domestic tranquillity, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity;" and when, in the judgment of the sovereign States now composing this Confederacy, it had been perverted from the purposes for which it was ordained, and had ceased to answer the ends for which it was established, a peaceful appeal to the ballot-box declared that so far as they were concerned, the government created by that compact should cease to exist. In this they merely asserted a right which the Declaration of Independence of 1776 had defined to be inalienable; of the time and occasion for its exercise, they, as sovereigns, were the final judges, each for itself. The impartial and enlightened verdict of mankind will vindicate the rectitude of our conduct, and He who knows the hearts of men will judge of the sincerity with which we labored to preserve the Government of our fathers in its spirit. The right solemnly proclaimed at the birth of the States, and which has been affirmed and reaffirmed in the bills of rights of States subsequently admitted into the Union of 1789, undeniably recognize in the people the power to resume the authority delegated for the purposes of government. Thus the sovereign States here represented proceeded to form this Confederacy, and it is by abuse of language that their act has been denominated a revolution. They formed a new alliance, but within each State its government has remained, the rights of person and property have not been disturbed. The agent through whom they communicated with foreign nations is changed, but this does not necessarily interrupt their international relations.

Forum List

Back