The concept of race is a social construct

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by bennylava, Jan 22, 2008.

1. bennylava

bennylava Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PBS

It seems that if race truly has no real meaning in anthropology or biology, the only useful function of the word is to use it in discussing efforts to right the wrongs done by those who do see race as a biological constant.

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Whether or not race has any anthropological or biological meaning is irrelevant. Man's animal instinct to fear what is different drives the train. I don't see however, how that cannot be called biological.

3. bennylava

bennylava Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    "Man's animal instinct to fear what is different drives the train. I don't see however, how that cannot be called biological."

Fear of what is different is taught. Children are not afraid of people of other races, they have to be taught to hate. That is not a biological instinct.

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Not true. Children don't have to be taught to fear that which is different.

5. bennylava

bennylava Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    How many children do you know who are afraid of people of other races? I personally have never seen a child run away screaming or start crying when they see someone of another race.

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You haven't been around kids much, apparently. Kids who have only been around one color are frequently afraid the first time they see someone with a different color.

They're afraid of new people at certain stages in their development..and a different color, if they aren't used to it, just makes it worse.

7. bennylava

bennylava Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah you're right, I must not have been around kids considering I have a three year old and have taught preschool.
    Keeping your children around just one race is a form of teaching, is it not? Your are teaching them that this is normal, and "the other" is not. If you can expose children at an early age to people of lots of races, they won't be afraid of it.
    Does that not then mean that the fear of other races is NOT biological, but sociological?

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Some people live in areas where there is only one color, dumbfuck. And people don't generally consider taking their kids out to view those other races.

I mean, is there a place where we can do that? Like a zoo..but for humans?

Hello planet of the apes.

And honestly, I'm concerned that a retard such as yourself is actually participating in the formation of young minds. I hope you aren't teaching them that they're disposable, that if they're poor they'd be better off not being born, or that AIDS mutated from anal bacteria on some prostitute....

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770

Disagree. White wolves are not taught to fear grey ones, nor vice-versa. Iis primal instinct. Primal humans are animals. It requires just as much if not more education to teach humans to go against their primal instincts as it does to make them "hate."

There's a difference between fear and hate. They are not interchangeable terms.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Is there a point to this post other than to insult someone you don't agree with instead of addressing the issue?