"I Have a Dream"

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Gunny, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    In honor of the celebration of MLK's birthday. Hard to disagree with his vision.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. hjmick

hjmick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,122
    The I Have a Dream speech was brilliant, no doubt. Just as powerful and just as moving was the speech he gave the night before his assassination in support of the striking sanitation workers in Memphis. It was prophetic in the end, "Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!"

His best know speech was delivered at the Lincoln Memorial, but his "I've Been to the Mountaintop" speech was just as meaningful and, sadly, frequently overlooked.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Helios

Helios Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    MLK's Vietnam Address: delivered 4 April 1967, at a meeting of Clergy and Laity Concerned at Riverside Church in New York City.

4. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Excellent Speeches!!!!!!!! Thank both of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Americans need that kind of encouragement in these troubled times!!!!!!!!!!! We really are more than what the establishments recognise us as being!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    I know, I saw the line.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    The greatest political speech of the 20th Century was Dr King's "I Have A Dream" speech - well anyway that's what Australians think:

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/features/speeches/

I do agree that his "Mountaintop" speech is overlooked and it is inspiring and sadly has echoes of prophecy in it. But "I Have A Dream" galvanises the listener. I've got both speeches in text and in various sound formats (legal, my ex brought them back for me, purchased legally from the MLK Center in Atlanta) and "I Have A Dream" never fails to give me goosebumps.

It wins hands down.