The Cauldron

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Cauldron.jpg

Double double toil and trouble......this thread is for a bunch of people of like minds to just hang out and talk food, how to cook it, share ideas, what to grow to cook in the cauldron, sidetracked now and then with just jibberjabber. And I put it in this forum for a reason. I WILL tattle if anyone starts problems.

So.....
Anyone ever hear of Avocado Soup? I haven't until recently. Maybe the spoon holder will tell us more about his concoction. Just not eye of newts, please. Or, ranch dressing mixed in with taters. :lol:

Oh, entry fee is a recipe and some gossip about yer neighbor. :lol:

I made the simplest most delicious dish the other night.

Seared Scallops in Spicy Broth

Get some good scallops, diver scallops if possible but dry day boat scallops at least.

2 cups seafood or vegetable stock
2 TBS of bamboo shoots in chili oil
1/2 of a Thai red pepper seeds removed
10 basil leaves

Add stock to pot with the Thai pepper and bring just barely to a boil. Remove from heat add the bamboo shoots check and adjust seasoning to taste

Season scallops salt, pepper and a little cayenne

On a hot cast iron grill sear the scallops in a bit of peanut oil. One side only get a real good caramelized crust

Put one basil leaf for each scallop served in a small bowl
Spoon in broth
Arrange scallops seared side up
Add a little lemon or lime juice to brighten it up
Sprinkle with thinly sliced scallion greens

This serves two

When you eat make sure you get a basil leaf with each bite.

How about a soup?

Moroccan Cauliflower Soup

One large head cauliflower
One Onion
A few garlic cloves
1 egg
1 tsp corn starch
Red Curry Paste and powder
Coriander
Cayenne
1 Cup Whole milk Yogurt
1 Quart chicken or vegetable stock

Cut Cauliflower into florets (you can use some of the smaller stems as well) Place om a baking sheet and drizzle liberally with olive oil season with salt pepper and lightly coat with coriander and curry powders. Place in a 350 degree oven until browned and the smaller bits are crispy

Sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil and butter add the stock and bring just to a boil
Add the cauliflower and cook until soft

Beat the egg and and the corn starch stir into the yogurt

Put the broth and cauliflower in small batches into a blender and puree

Stir in yogurt mixture

return to med heat and stir until thickened.

Now adjust seasoning. Add curry paste if you want more curry flavor and add the cayenne a little at a time. The soup should have just a little heat.

Chop about a cup of fresh cilantro leaves and stir in just before serving.

This is one of my wife's favorites

This is the recipe for a Puerto Rican meatloaf I made a few weeks ago it came out good.

Abuelita’s Juicy Meatloaf
2lbs ground beef
1 Cup dry breadcrumbs (seasoned is fine)
¾ Cup chopped onion
1 Tbs grated onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ Cup green bell/sweet pepper, minced
1 tsp cumin
2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped (may substitute parsley if someone has a cilantro aversion)
1 Tbs fresh oregano, chopped (halve if using dried)
1 Tbs fresh culantro (recao), chopped, optional
½ tsp chili powder
2 Tbs ketchup
1 Tbs tomato paste for the meat, plus 3 Tbs for the top
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 375°F. Add all ingredients (except additional 3 Tbs tomato paste) to large bowl. Mix all ingredients with a fork or hands just until thoroughly combined, but do not work it through or knead it, or else the meatloaf will be tough.
Place in 8×5 loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and spread the reserved tomato paste evenly over the top. Return to oven and finish cooking (another 5-15 minutes – until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 140°F). Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Talking about pies in the Announcement forum about trophies made me want a peach cobbler. Its in the oven right now, but I used Gluten Free bisquick. I'll let you know how it turns out.

e62b326a-c649-44dc-955a-89f2292d5f4a.jpg

Whether you use canned, fresh or frozen peaches will probably depend on the time of year. Whatever the season, this homey dessert will bring you praises. Try this favorite from the Betty Crocker Kitchens tonight.

• Prep Time10 MIN
  • Total Time1 HR 10 MIN
  • Servings6

Ingredients
cup Original Bisquick™ mix
cup milk
1/2
teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2
cup butter or margarine, melted
cup sugar
can (29 ounces) sliced peach, drained

Directions
  • 1Heat oven to 375ºF.
  • 2Stir together Bisquick mix, milk and nutmeg in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches. Stir in butter until blended. Stir together sugar and peaches; spoon over batter.
  • 3Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until golden.

omg. YUM!!! Crispy edges, sweet peaches, vanilla ice cream melting all over the top. EXCELLENT!

I'm not much of a cook but since a recipe is a prerequisite, here is one that looks GOOD.
www.specialfoodrecipe.com-Caramelized-Onion-Tart-with-Gorgonzola-and-Brie-Recipe.jpg

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons olive oil
4 servings of cut vegetables, cut root-to-top into 1/4-inch wide pieces (about 2-3 med onions)
1 Tablespoons darkish sugar
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
8 oz freezing smoke pastry (defrosted a several time in the fridge)
2 oz cold Brie mozzarella dairy product, skin eliminated and diced
2 oz Gorgonzola or other pink mozzarella dairy product, diced
2 Tablespoons sliced refreshing tarragon
Preparation method
Warm oil in a large deeply pan on medium-high heat. Add vegetables and make for about 10 moments or until wilted and beginning to darkish. Add sugars, therapy, spice up and sea. Decrease heat and make softly, discovered for 20-25 moments or until thoroughly caramelized. Add a little water if the vegetables look like they are beginning to dry out. Awesome.
Roll pastry into a 10-to-14-inch rectangular appearance (or whatever appearance you want). Place pastry on a preparing your receipee piece covered with parchment newspaper. Prick with a derive at a several in. amounts to avoid the pastry from developing big pockets while preparing your receipee.

Propagate vegetables over pastry, all the way to the sides of the pastry. Dot with mozzarella dairy product. Drop with tarragon. Refrigerate if not preparing your receipee instantly.
Bake in a pre-heated range at 400°F for 18-20 moments or until mozzarella dairy product has dissolved and pastry is crunchy. Awesome for 5 moments. Cut into pitching wedges or pieces and enjoy!

Caramelized Onion Tart with Gorgonzola and Brie Recipe COOK RECIPES

This salad is so good, if you like avocados:

obsessively good avocado cucumber salad smitten kitchen

Obsessively Good Avocado Cucumber Salad

Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side

3/4 to 1 pound seedless cucumber, washed and chopped into chunks
2 thin or 1 regular scallions, thinly sliced
1 large avocado, pitted and diced
2 tablespoons mayonaise
Juice of half a lime, plus more to taste
Salt and hot sauce (we used Sriracha) to taste
Chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley to garnish

Combine cucumber, scallions and avocado in a bowl. Whisk together mayo, lime and seasonings, adjusting levels to taste. Drizzle salad with dressing and garnish with cilantro or parsley. Repeat again tomorrow.

I made it last night because it sounded good, and my son and I ate all of it. My husband, whose food comments are limited to: It's okay, it's alright, it's not bad, and it's good, said it was good, too. High praise from him. I may make it again tonight. I used lemon juice instead of lime juice, because I didn't have limes, and it was good. Added about 2 tsp of sriracha, and it was spicy but not crazy spicy.

Forum List

Back