OK. Who is gardening?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Me! I had everything in pots but this morning, I put them in the ground after plowing out all the dead weeds and crab grass. Put up chickenwire too, to keep the dogs from getting in there to lay in the coolness. My elbows are killing me. And my shoulders. The only joints left that do not ache from RA. Until now. OY!

But...I got 'er dun! The brussell sprouts, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, scallions, strawberries, tomatoes. Tomorrow, I am going to go get some corn and more strawberries cuz I can freeze them for our smoothies. Maybe some radishes or carrots. And definitely more scallions.

So..whatcha growing?

Mostly watermelons, started 250 cups today, hopefully ready for the ground by 4/15.

Need to run the tractor and disc through the garden a few times to kill weeds between now and then, but it has been very wet.

Also doing 1/4 acre of Russian Mammoth sunflowers.

I is gardening, have lettuce, sweet peas, broccoli, soon to put in tomatoes and green beans, cantaloupe, sunflowers, morning glories, gourds.... Have mulberries and blackberries....

I was going to buy some blueberries but the directions on the pot were very strict. Do this, do that, don't do this, don't do that. Plus it looked half dead but had some new green on it. Cost was 10 bucks so I didn't do it.
Meanwhile, the plants I put in the ground are MUCH happier. The pots, although they were BIG, just weren't cutting it. They wanted earth...not pottery.

I've got some seedlings started indoos in Jiffy trays. I'm in NW Ohio so it will be another month or so before I can transplant anything outdoors.

I grow over 60 varieties of Japanese Maples, 30 varieties of dogwoods, countless other shrubs and small trees, start several thousand perennials from unrooted cuttings each year, grow over a thousand hanging baskets, hybridize daylilies, grow over 10,000 tender perennials and otherwise immerse myself in plants for my profession.

Me! I had everything in pots but this morning, I put them in the ground after plowing out all the dead weeds and crab grass. Put up chickenwire too, to keep the dogs from getting in there to lay in the coolness. My elbows are killing me. And my shoulders. The only joints left that do not ache from RA. Until now. OY!

But...I got 'er dun! The brussell sprouts, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, scallions, strawberries, tomatoes. Tomorrow, I am going to go get some corn and more strawberries cuz I can freeze them for our smoothies. Maybe some radishes or carrots. And definitely more scallions.

So..whatcha growing?
Does that include pot? I have a nice little garden with some really good Columbian. JK.:)

Nah. I haven't smoked a joint since..oh...about 1975 or so. Funny, but when I was younger, I wanted the buzz. Now that I am older, the buzz makes me think I'm gonna have a stroke. And nothing scares me more than a stroke. Helpless. Dependent. No no no. Just give me an old fashioned heart attack and drop down dead. No hanging on. Or an anarizm. Poof. Bang. Down. Dead. Better than that..go to sleep and not wake up.

Dayum. That was morbid, wasn't it? Oy.

Meanwhile..I have been eating the strawberries as I walk by checking my veggies. The yellow squash is coming along nicely, the zucchini is going crazy with buds and tiny little veggies starting, the brussell sprouts are not doing so well so now i know what to plant them the next go round IF we have enough water to even have a garden next year, and the scallions are fat and juicy. I already pulled some, chopped them up for some Chili and hash browns, replanted the root part and another set is coming up from the same plant I already pulled to eat.

Well....the tomatoes are going wild so I am pleased; the strawberries are being eaten as I wander past to check on them (and the birds have found one pot of them and are helping themselves too), the zucchini is doing great. And, today I shortened my yard even more. I now have 1/4th of the yard being used and watered. I took off at least a 3 ft x10 foot section so I have a tiny section of grass now. Less hassle for me, but still pretty.

Got the tomatoes and peppers in so far. Need some cukes and I'm going to try some peanuts. I have some seed peanuts that are HUGE! The peanut in the shell is a bit over 3" long. I'm just doing 3 short rows of them. If they work out, I'll do more next year.

Please please please please ......cool down this weekend (according to weather report), light rain by next wednesday/thursday....then warmer a bit...then another front is coming in that might give us an inch or two. Please please please please.

Please please please please ......cool down this weekend (according to weather report), light rain by next wednesday/thursday....then warmer a bit...then another front is coming in that might give us an inch or two. Please please please please.
Cool down? I'm still waiting for it to warm up. And the rain has been coming down for over a week now. Guess we know where all your rain went.

I have the hops climbing out the ground and had to add the trellis this mornings. The yield this year should be very nice. I still a few ounces left from last harvest. Home brews everywhere. Cheers!

It's been in the 80s since January. I have lived in Cali all mylife and the past 25 + years here where I am now. Never has it been in the 80's here in January. Ever. We never got a winter. It just passed us by.

It's been in the 80s since January. I have lived in Cali all mylife and the past 25 + years here where I am now. Never has it been in the 80's here in January. Ever. We never got a winter. It just passed us by.
Well. I'd send you some rain, if I could.

Don't know for sure, but in the US, the 2 cities with the most average yearly rainfall are Pensacola Florida and Mobile Alabama. I live about mid way between.

I looked around a bit and found a couple towns in India that get huge annual rainfalls. One has a record for one month (July of 1861) of 366" that's 30 and 1/2 FEET of rain in a single month!

Forum List

Back