the case of Troy Davis shows exactly why the dealth pentalty should be banned

Discussion in 'Politics' started by blu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Google

Google Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +808
    Troy Davis is not innocent. It astounds me how people that don't know anything about this case are all of a sudden up in arms. Countless witnesses testified they had seen Davis shoot that police officer, and two others testified that Davis personally confessed to them, and years later some, not all, changed their stories. These people should be charged with perjury and put in a cell right next to this murderer.

Not to mention he has lost every appeal and subsequent court hearings. He has been convicted three times.

But you are an expert and know definitively that Davis is innocent. What is complete bullshit is your feigning outrage at something that you read on a blog recently.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Interestingly, in 'civilized' Europe... ordinary people are pleading with their governments to re-instate it. Go figure.

4. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,051
    I suppose from an intellectual argument point of view, I would oppose the death penalty. I'm for government being as limited as possible and the idea of the state executing its citizens just doesn't sit right with me. That said, I'm not for giving murderers anything other than 24 hour lock down. The idea a child or cop killer watching cable TV, interacting with other inmates, receiving visitors, getting an education, working out, etc while in jail sickens me. It's supposed to be punishment for heaven's sake!

From a personal, gut feeling point of view, I find it hard to muster much sympathy for the execution of someone that is clearly guilty of murder in the first degree. I guess at the end of the day, I really don't care about the scumbag.

Either way, I think we have far more important issues to deal with than the death penalty. Just my two cents...

5. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    He was there.

Ballistics evidence common to two cases tied to Davis tends to establish that it was Davis.

He confessed.

And despite all of this, there is a claim that his lawyers fucked up (somehow) by having 7 blacks on the jury. I'm not sure what the fuck to make of THAT claim.

If he wins a stay of execution, again, it has to be on grounds other than "actual innocence." There is not much reason to consider him "innocent" in this case.

6. Google

Google Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +808
    Not to mention that it is a fact that the shell casings recovered at the scene matched the casings recovered from a previous shooting earlier in the evening to which Davis was present for, but this man is innocent because you read it on Amnesty International that would have everyone believe America only executes innocent people.

His own family member said he shot that father of two. Oh, but after testifying and having Davis found guilty then he wants to turn around and say it was all a misunderstanding.

Davis is the only one with motive as well. The other person that now all the witnesses say did it had zero motive.

It is a fact that Davis was present for both shootings that night. The shell casings from both shootings matched, and they both came from the same .38 caliber. The common denominator? Troy Davis.

Davis was also at the scene of the beating of Larry Young, the homeless man in the parking lot the night of MacPhail's death and the person he was trying to assist.

And after the two shootings that night what did innocent Troy Davis do? He drove straight to Atlanta, 4 hour drive 248 miles, in the wee hours of the morning. Complete coincidence that he fled after the murder of two men.

This isn't about the innocence of Troy Davis, because only morons are out there saying he is innocent. This is about the death penalty, and these same retards would be saying the same damn thing about any child rapist, cop murderer, ect that is sentenced to death.

Hey blu, can you name me one person that was executed that was later exonerated? ONE?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Wrongful execution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There IS presidence. Not many, it's very very rare that they get it wrong. Or are at least proven to get it wrong.

8. Google

Google Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +808
    I asked for one case that was proven an innocent man was executed, and that Wikipedia page doesn't have one.

I should also clarify modern history.

Still waiting.

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,776
    I understand that most of those people that testified against him recanted their testimony. And of the two that didn't, one of them is suspected by some of being the murderer.

10. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Nice dodge there. Almost got hit with the evidence you wanted.

Don't like being proven wrong though, do you?