The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Just saw this.

Very thought provoking throughout and quite possibly the most harrowing last quarter hour of a film I've seen for a long time. It's not often that I spend 15 minutes of a film thinking I know what could happen and praying it won't.

A totally different way of looking at a subject that one might think had no new angles.

I hesitate to even start this thread as I know where they often lead. Hopefully not, on this occasion.

Just saw this.

Very thought provoking throughout and quite possibly the most harrowing last quarter hour of a film I've seen for a long time. It's not often that I spend 15 minutes of a film thinking I know what could happen and praying it won't.

A totally different way of looking at a subject that one might think had no new angles.

I hesitate to even start this thread as I know where they often lead. Hopefully not, on this occasion.

I am new here, and my first visit to the movie section. And I absolutely agree with your sentiments. I am actually surprised there were no comments made. I found it to be a very thought provoking movie, and added it to my top ten. :)

Yes, reap what you sow and just deserts and all that.Very profound nontheless.

It looks amazing.

Here's the trailer if anyone is interested...

[youtube]N5FU-yDC-uI[/youtube]​

dont you nonsense me....movies should be entertaining like jaws, pulp fiction, snakes on a plane
not deep shit like this....and dont fuss with me...

still not smoking i take it?

I put off seeing Schindler's List forever because I thought it would just be horror all the way through, but it really was good. If there's a good plot, I can handle a harrowing movie, even if it is true.

But I REALLY hate movies about kids who are suffering...unless there's a big, positive pay-off at the end. I liked Slumdog Millionaire. I actually put off watching Braveheart until it came out on video because I knew he died a grisly death (and my maternal grandma is a Wallace) but it's my all time favorite movie. I watch it weekly, at least.

I certainly sympathize with people who avoid horrible movies, though. I watched Sophie's Choice in my early 20s and was completely traumatized by it (my boys were about the age of her kids). I finally got up the nerve to watch it again last year, and it wasn't half as bad as I remembered....I guess I've been de-sensitized.

I put off seeing Schindler's List forever because I thought it would just be horror all the way through, but it really was good. If there's a good plot, I can handle a harrowing movie, even if it is true.

But I REALLY hate movies about kids who are suffering...unless there's a big, positive pay-off at the end. I liked Slumdog Millionaire. I actually put off watching Braveheart until it came out on video because I knew he died a grisly death (and my maternal grandma is a Wallace) but it's my all time favorite movie. I watch it weekly, at least.

I certainly sympathize with people who avoid horrible movies, though. I watched Sophie's Choice in my early 20s and was completely traumatized by it (my boys were about the age of her kids). I finally got up the nerve to watch it again last year, and it wasn't half as bad as I remembered....I guess I've been de-sensitized.

Yeah, I think I'm not interested in seeing it because it's about little kids possibly being harmed. Not to mention the fact that the holocaust is a hard thing to be reminded of.

I think we should never forget it, so there's certainly a place for these movies. I just get physically ill when children are being hurt...or scared. I can handle it in real life, I'm good with trauma, pain, even blood...when I'm actively involved. But when I'm helpless (watching a movie) or when I can hear a kid screaming but can't see him, I get ill and feel faint.

I think we should never forget it, so there's certainly a place for these movies. I just get physically ill when children are being hurt...or scared. I can handle it in real life, I'm good with trauma, pain, even blood...when I'm actively involved. But when I'm helpless (watching a movie) or when I can hear a kid screaming but can't see him, I get ill and feel faint.

That's a good point. You have no control over what seems to be the reality on the screen. All you can do is feel the need to try and help.

Forum List

Back