The best way to learn English

In my opinion, the best way to learn English is in school. The next best way to learn English is by watching a tv show you like with English subtitles.

The above are absurdly simplistic comments about an extremely complex topic.

FWIW, I married into an immigrant family, most of whom came to the U.S. in their early 20's. All of the wives were "stay-at-home" and listened to English-speaking television all day long. Forty years later, none of them could formulate any English statement more complex than, "Did you eat?"

Their kids went to normal public schools with no formal English-as-Second-Language courses, and were speaking passable English within six months, with minimal accents. All spoke Italian exclusively at home.

OTOH, my son (and two cousins) was "baby-sat" by his Italian grandparents, who tried to speak all Italian to them, all the time, and they picked up NONE of it. The only Italian words they recognize as adults are food-related.

FWIW, I married into an immigrant family, most of whom came to the U.S. in their early 20's. All of the wives were "stay-at-home" and listened to English-speaking television all day long. Forty years later, none of them could formulate any English statement more complex than, "Did you eat?"

Their kids went to normal public schools with no formal English-as-Second-Language courses, and were speaking passable English within six months, with minimal accents. All spoke Italian exclusively at home.

OTOH, my son (and two cousins) was "baby-sat" by his Italian grandparents, who tried to speak all Italian to them, all the time, and they picked up NONE of it. The only Italian words they recognize as adults are food-related.
thank you for your first hand information.

1. The "best" way to learn English is to live in an English-speaking country and to associate as much as possible with native speakers.

a. I have known some people who did not know English but after a few years here and dealing with native speakers, they became reasonably fluent.

2. If you live in a non-English speaking country, it is more difficult.

a. I was amused when I once read how one boy from Afghanistan explained how he supposedly became fluent in English.

i. He says he simply watched his favorite American movies.

ii. In fact, he claims that by listening to the movies, he got a certain American accent.

He emigrated to Europe as a fluent speaker of English.

I do not know the accuracy of his claim, but we all agree that young people learn faster than adults.

Children do not have the inhibitions of adults.

1. The "best" way to learn English is to live in an English-speaking country and to associate as much as possible with native speakers.

a. I have known some people who did not know English but after a few years here and dealing with native speakers, they became reasonably fluent.

2. If you live in a non-English speaking country, it is more difficult.

a. I was amused when I once read how one boy from Afghanistan explained how he supposedly became fluent in English.

i. He says he simply watched his favorite American movies.

ii. In fact, he claims that by listening to the movies, he got a certain American accent.

He emigrated to Europe as a fluent speaker of English.

I do not know the accuracy of his claim, but we all agree that young people learn faster than adults.

Children do not have the inhibitions of adults.
i agree about the kids.

The fact is that adults are actually better at learning languages than very young children (for obvious reasons). Children are more likely to ultimately be successful in acquiring a new language (for obvious reasons), but adults bring much more highly developed language skills to the process.

As for accents, the most important factor is the age at which English is first encountered (intensively).

Three female cousins, aged 18, 15, and 13 when they emigrated in the 70's. The one who came when she was 18 never lost her accent, though was forced to speak English constantly, running a pizza shop with her husband. The second one also works in a family-owned shop, and speaks English with an accent. The youngest has no accent whatsoever. None had any education beyond HS.

Note MLB players from Spanish-speaking countries. They pick up English (if at all) as adults. Few of them ever lose their Spanish accents.

I used to work for Paul Wurth Inc., out of Luxembourg, a country where every professional speaks at least four languages (Luxembourgish, French, German, and English). Most are forced to pick up at least one additional language due to foreign assignments. Many years ago, they decided that they would no longer support language instruction for anyone over forty years old. Pointless. Doesn't work.

I personally have studied Spanish, German, Italian, and briefly French. Don't know much about any of them.

In my opinion, the best way to learn English is in school. The next best way to learn English is by watching a tv show you like with English subtitles.

Depends on the person.

Really the best way is speaking it every day. It's not always possible for some people.

Some people are long term learners, the short term comes with difficulty, but when it's in, it stays. Others are short term learners, they pick things up quickly, watching TV is great because they're absorbing things.

As for accents, the most important factor is the age at which English is first encountered (intensively).

Three female cousins, aged 18, 15, and 13 when they emigrated in the 70's. The one who came when she was 18 never lost her accent, though was forced to speak English constantly, running a pizza shop with her husband. The second one also works in a family-owned shop, and speaks English with an accent. The youngest has no accent whatsoever. None had any education beyond HS.

Note MLB players from Spanish-speaking countries. They pick up English (if at all) as adults. Few of them ever lose their Spanish accents.

I used to work for Paul Wurth Inc., out of Luxembourg, a country where every professional speaks at least four languages (Luxembourgish, French, German, and English). Most are forced to pick up at least one additional language due to foreign assignments. Many years ago, they decided that they would no longer support language instruction for anyone over forty years old. Pointless. Doesn't work.

I personally have studied Spanish, German, Italian, and briefly French. Don't know much about any of them.
thanks for the stories and info.

Depends on the person.

Really the best way is speaking it every day. It's not always possible for some people.

Some people are long term learners, the short term comes with difficulty, but when it's in, it stays. Others are short term learners, they pick things up quickly, watching TV is great because they're absorbing things.
i agree.

Depends on the person.

TV can be a supplement at best. Watching TV is not active communication.

Forum List

Back