The Best of The Used To Be ..

Lumpy 1

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2009
When I was kid it was safe to run around the neighborhood, even miles away and be safe and protected by adults and fellow youngsters..

Last edited:
I can still remember the day my dad taught me the fine art of Mumbly Peg.
Oh, you always struck me as a Jart victim. ;)

9b79938359f864223cded8f866fda262.jpg

I recall riding my bike free and unprotected .. no padding, no helmet .. just free and fun..
so lumpy sr and mrs lumpy sr did not care enough to protect your head in a bike crash?

i did the same. i wore out a schwinn and a big newsboy special without knowing a bike helmet existed.

are the requirements to wear helmets mandated by the state or city? or is that parental over reach?

so lets see if i can define the question. are safety equipment requirements a government responsibility or parental?

are children harmed more by the nanny state , overprotective parents, or traffic hazards? and whose role is it to require ( i prefer "encourage" or "teach" ) traffic safety. ?

Kids can still do all those things but people are buying into the fear mongering and helicopter parents are raising a generation that will be weak and pathetic

Can you even fathom what the reaction would be from people today if they saw a passel of kids on their bikes, with all manner of pellet guns, 22s, and other "implements of destruction" headed down to the river?

That was every day sight in my town in the Summertime.

BTW.....I never remembered a single kid that "shot their eye out" either.

Can you even fathom what the reaction would be from people today if they saw a passel of kids on their bikes, with all manner of pellet guns, 22s, and other "implements of destruction" headed down to the river?

That was every day sight in my town in the Summertime.

BTW.....I never remembered a single kid that "shot their eye out" either.
they would have to take that pump action daisy from my cold dead hand.

i regret shooting a few song birds before i learned better but that should be safety training.

i wonder how many kids really do shoot their eyes out.

looks like 300 per year from "non gunpowder projectiles" about 1/2 of them foam. do they mean "nurf?"

i regret shooting a few song birds before i learned better but that should be safety training.

looks like 300 per year from "non gunpowder projectiles" about 1/2 of them foam. do they mean "nurf?"

A BB gun is about the most dangerous thing you can give a young boy. Those steel BBs ricochet like nothing else. I'd suggest an actual pellet gun. Pellets splatter on hard surfaces, and are inherently more accurate than BBs. Might as well get them trained in accuracy right out the gate...

I suspect.

That's one toy I never bought for my kids as they promote unsafe "gun" handling.

Kids playing Army and going pew, pew, pew, at each other is one thing.....Launching projectiles at each other is another.

I never thought much of paintball "guns" for the same reason for kids under a certain age.

Forum List

Back