The batttle for Chosin

Mao thought MacArthur was crazy and would invade China

MacArthur racing to the Yalu River seemed to affirm it

It made all the sense in the world.....China's entry would have been only a temporary set-back if Truman had some balls....he was too fearful of Russia and thus his firing of MacArthur....that was the big mistake of the Korean War.

We most certainly did stand aside while the USSR and China continued to back the North Vietnamese Communists.
We sold out the South Vietnamese. We withdrew our troops, we promised then failed to provide air support while they were being overrun and congress stopped providing supplies and funds while the Communist countries continued to provide North Vietnam with their every whim. Hard to defend yourself when you're out of ammo. We betrayed our ally and all of our own and friendly troops who sacrificed so much there.
All governments lie about matters related to war. Being too truthful simply hands big advantages over to the enemy. Loose lips sink ships. Duh.
The South Vietnamese sold out us
We provided training, the best equipment in the world, a massive military force, air superiority, a navy and 60,000 American lives

They still lost to an inferior North Vietnamese Force who actually gave a shit
if you read about Vietnam, the NVA were very good
I'm re-reading Operation Buffalo about one of the worst ambushes USMC Vietnam
my wife's uncle died there with B 1-9 2nd platoon-the worst hit unit..nearly wiped out
1-9 was called the Walking Dead
The NVA gave a shit, they were fighting for their country, fighting for Ho Chi Minh. They fought with very little but still held their own against superior forces

Our strategy was always to turn over the fighting to S Vietnam
They were corrupt and never had the heart

Mac only started the island hopping AFTER he screwed it up at Buna-Gona
so--he isn't the great intelligent general you think
Battle of Buna–Gona - Wikipedia
anybody can learn by trying something to see if it works
a lowly Lt could think of island hopping--especially after taking mucho casualties
Mac only started the island hopping AFTER he screwed it up at Buna-Gona
so--he isn't the great intelligent general you think
Battle of Buna–Gona - Wikipedia
anybody can learn by trying something to see if it works
a lowly Lt could think of island hopping--especially after taking mucho casualties

Buna-Gona was a learning experience for MacArthur. I would however not characterize it as you have.

Casualties on both sides were high – the Allies buried 1,400 Japanese dead, while the Allies lost 620 dead, 2,065 wounded and 132 missing.

Buna, Gona and Sanananda were the first battles in which Allied solders attacked Japanese troops who had had time to dig in. At the start of the campaign the Australians and Americans lacked the heavy weapons that would prove to be essential in the jungle. Air support was not yet effective – only 121 sorties were flown, and after 22 December no more requests were made for close air support. During the campaign the Allies began to learn how to deal with the impressive bunkers that they would find across the Pacific. At the start of the campaign the Allies had not believed that tanks or heavy artillery would be useful in the jungle – by the end of it the campaign it had become clear that both weapons were essential when faced by strong Japanese defensive positions. The lessons learnt at high coast at Buna, Gona and Sanananda would be applied with increasing skill as the Allied advanced across the Pacific.

Warfare History Network » The Battle Of Buna: Costly For Both Allies and Japanese
ok--fine...but add the really stupid crap Mac did in the Philippines and Korea--it all adds up

Truman wanted MacArthur to stay below the 38 th parallel. He warned about the risk of the Chinese entering the conflict. MacArthur laughed him off. MacArthur knew best

His invasion of the north was a disaster. He ignored reports of Chinese infiltration and laughed off their fighting ability

His arrogance cost us 50,000 lives

MacArthur was correct; Truman was wrong. He is also responsible for our our continued problems with North Korea.
a whole corps thrown off the battle continent
the other forces retreating below the parallel
sure--Mac was really correct :rolleyes-41:
...there were over 300,000 Chinese in Korea and Mac didn't want to believe they were there! plain and simple--he screwed up big time

Nonsense....MacArthur would have re-grouped easily and if allowed free reign.....aka bombing the bridges across the Yalu River, bombing strategic Chnese military bases close to Korea etc. could have knocked China out of the War...but no Washington wanted a limited war....aka they wanted MacArthur to fight with one hand tied behind him. The communists had way too much influence in Washington.

General MacArthur would have fixed this mess | News Letter Journal

It is absolutely amazing how this thread suddenly becomes more historically accurate in so many ways, simply by putting everyone who claims that, "McCarthy was right,", on ignore!

It is absolutely amazing how this thread suddenly becomes more historically accurate in so many ways, simply by putting everyone who claims that, "McCarthy was right,", on ignore!

Pathetic response.....let it be known those who seek the truth will not be intimidated by threats of censorship of any sort. Why is it that liberals consistently resort to censorship when their case gets weak? Well, what else have they got? When the truth is your enemy you have nothing. Thus they try to hide, try to invoke censorship etc.

Anyhow....now for the truth. '
THE AMERICAN left has an unexamined past. Like the French conservatives, who went into deep denial about their collaboration with the Nazis a half century ago, American leftists and some of their liberal allies have refused to sort out their own intimate connections with Marxist-Leninism in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s.

In a footnote on page 725 of "Witness," his 1952 classic of American confessional literature, Whittaker Chambers explained how this came to pass. He observed, "It is not the communists, but the ex-communists who have cooperated with the government, who have chiefly suffered..." Writing at the height of the controversy about communists in the U.S. government, Chambers explained, "It is worth noting that not one communist was moved to break with communism under the pressures of the Hiss case. Let those who wonder about communism and the power of its faith ponder that fact."

WAS MCCARTHY RIGHT ABOUT THE LEFT?

WASHINGTON — 'Although Joseph McCarthy was one of the most demonized American politicians of the last century, new information — including half-century-old FBI recordings of Soviet embassy conversations — are showing that McCarthy was right in nearly all his accusations.'
Read more at Most-hated senator was right

Setting the Record on Joe McCarthy Straight

With the advent of nuclear weapons, many civilian think tank warfare theorists believed that direct superpower confrontation had become too dangerous to contemplate. Thus was born "limited war" in the national lexicon of strategic thinking when the Korean War broke out in 1950 and President Truman limited the war objectives and means in order to avoid nuclear confrontation with the Soviet Union. The Korean War began the change in the American concept of war away from total war, or what was called at the time "general war," to a form of war that was more "civilized" and "less dangerous" in the minds of social scientists.

Read more: Rewriting the Rules of War
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Last edited:

It made all the sense in the world.....China's entry would have been only a temporary set-back if Truman had some balls....he was too fearful of Russia and thus his firing of MacArthur....that was the big mistake of the Korean War.
It is like you said in your previous post

Will to win

Winning at what cost? 100,000 lives? 200,000 lives?
Nuclear war? WWIII?

For Christ sake, we just got out of WWII. The will of the American people to go through another massive war was not not there. Truman wanted a quick and easy conflict. MacArthur pulled him into a war

agree--
plus:
the US helped the anti-communists
After the Japanese surrender, the U.S. transport moved Chinese government armies from the southwest to key cities such as Peking, Tientsin, and Shanghai, and 50,000 U.S. troops landed in China proper.
In October 1947, an Army Advisory Group was formed to counsel Chiang and $27.7 million in aid was supplied.
..the Chinese wanted NOTHING of US troops on their border so soon after the revolution
..just like we didn't wanted missiles in Cuba
..also, the Chinese wanted to protect the hydroelectric dams in NK because they were getting power from them
The dam's generating facilities provided power for much of western North Korea and for the Port Arthur and Dairen regions of northeast China
Chinese Civil War, U.S. Involvement in the - Dictionary definition of Chinese Civil War, U.S. Involvement in the | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary
Attack on the Sui-ho Dam - Wikipedia

I find it fascinating the way the Right is fixated on Cuba and N. Korea. Granted, the Soviets putting missiles in Cuba was a threat, but it was way overstated even at the time. The missiles that we forced the Soviets to disable under threat of nuclear war were obsolete in 3 years. We were putting men in orbit by 1965 with ICBM technology. The soviets rocket technology had achieved that even sooner. Even today, the whole ban on doing business with Cuba still exists. You can now take a commercial cruise to Cuba, but you are not allowed to have fun. Recreational shore excursions can not be commercially arranged, but you can have "intercultural exchange" experiences, like having a Cuban dance instructor come on board and teach you to samba. Whenever I think that maybe we are electing people for congress who have any sense, I have to stop and consider things like that. As for N. Korea, The Right wants to nuke them, just because they are constantly shooting their mouth off about bombing Seattle, or something similar.

The South Vietnamese sold out us
We provided training, the best equipment in the world, a massive military force, air superiority, a navy and 60,000 American lives

They still lost to an inferior North Vietnamese Force who actually gave a shit
if you read about Vietnam, the NVA were very good
I'm re-reading Operation Buffalo about one of the worst ambushes USMC Vietnam
my wife's uncle died there with B 1-9 2nd platoon-the worst hit unit..nearly wiped out
1-9 was called the Walking Dead
The NVA gave a shit, they were fighting for their country, fighting for Ho Chi Minh. They fought with very little but still held their own against superior forces

Our strategy was always to turn over the fighting to S Vietnam
They were corrupt and never had the heart

Buna-Gona was a learning experience for MacArthur. I would however not characterize it as you have.

Casualties on both sides were high – the Allies buried 1,400 Japanese dead, while the Allies lost 620 dead, 2,065 wounded and 132 missing.

Buna, Gona and Sanananda were the first battles in which Allied solders attacked Japanese troops who had had time to dig in. At the start of the campaign the Australians and Americans lacked the heavy weapons that would prove to be essential in the jungle. Air support was not yet effective – only 121 sorties were flown, and after 22 December no more requests were made for close air support. During the campaign the Allies began to learn how to deal with the impressive bunkers that they would find across the Pacific. At the start of the campaign the Allies had not believed that tanks or heavy artillery would be useful in the jungle – by the end of it the campaign it had become clear that both weapons were essential when faced by strong Japanese defensive positions. The lessons learnt at high coast at Buna, Gona and Sanananda would be applied with increasing skill as the Allied advanced across the Pacific.

Warfare History Network » The Battle Of Buna: Costly For Both Allies and Japanese
ok--fine...but add the really stupid crap Mac did in the Philippines and Korea--it all adds up

Truman wanted MacArthur to stay below the 38 th parallel. He warned about the risk of the Chinese entering the conflict. MacArthur laughed him off. MacArthur knew best

His invasion of the north was a disaster. He ignored reports of Chinese infiltration and laughed off their fighting ability

His arrogance cost us 50,000 lives

MacArthur was correct; Truman was wrong. He is also responsible for our our continued problems with North Korea.
a whole corps thrown off the battle continent
the other forces retreating below the parallel
sure--Mac was really correct :rolleyes-41:
...there were over 300,000 Chinese in Korea and Mac didn't want to believe they were there! plain and simple--he screwed up big time

Nonsense....MacArthur would have re-grouped easily and if allowed free reign.....aka bombing the bridges across the Yalu River, bombing strategic Chnese military bases close to Korea etc. could have knocked China out of the War...but no Washington wanted a limited war....aka they wanted MacArthur to fight with one hand tied behind him. The communists had way too much influence in Washington.

General MacArthur would have fixed this mess | News Letter Journal
more unrealistic thinking
way too many people think war is played on a table top
..there is no sure evidence China could've been knocked out of the war by bombing
..they bombed tiny Vietnam with more tonnage than WW2 put together and NVietnam didn't pull out--in fact they won...and China is a little bigger than Vietnam

Inchon was a stroke of luck.

A bold move by a tactical genius is more accurate...........anyhow....as someone once said.....better to be lucky than good.

The Inchon landing was opposed as being too risky by the Joint Chiefs of Staff.....but MacArthur's decision(it too extreme courage)to land there demonstrated once again his tactical genius. Not to forget...................During World War 2, General Douglas MacArthur developed the strategy of island hopping. He would capture certain islands. The Americans would use those islands to get closer to their goal. He would leave Japanese troops to starve on the other islands. He would not waste American lives trying to capture those islands. The objective was to get close enough to Japan to establish bomber bases capable of dropping bombs on Japan. Brilliant strategy.

The MacArthur Revival | RealClearDefense
Brains Instead of Brute Force

The Pacific War should have been as bloody as the Eastern Front. Instead, we suffered 1% of the fatalities that the Russians lost. The big difference was Big Mac.

I agree....he was incredibly brilliant, first in his class at West Point, outstandingly courageous and he should have lived in the White House. Yet, he was human and mistakenly believed the Chinese would not enter the Korean War....but nobody did...he cannot be faulted all that much for that mistake. His legacy is all the American Soldiers lives that were spared in the South Pacific due to his brilliant island hopping campaign.
Who, MacArthur? He might have been 1st at West Point but it was in the freaking 19th century. MacArthur had a mildly distinguished career in WW1 although he was criticized for being too hesitant to send troops up in a crucial battle. Mac did his duty as COS and retired honorably prior to WW2 when for some reason he was called by FDR to become the commander of troops most likely to be attacked by the Japanese Empire. Dougout Doug was finished when he lost his entire Army in the Philippines four months into the conflict but for some reason he was brought out of retirement again in his 70's (with an embarrassing combover) by timid WW1 veteran Harry Truman to command Troops in Korea. You have to be a drooling idiot to claim that McArthur "cannot be faulted" for sending Troops to the biggest ambush in freaking history and then made wild claims to nuke China. Mac was lucky he wasn't hauled out in a freaking straight jacket when Truman finally relieved him of duty.

Last edited:
**another grammar edit**

OK I listened to 90% of everybody on 18 pages... I'm pretty sure this is a history forum. To do justice to history, this history has very little to do with some dumb americans and maybe a few dumb military Koreans. In fact, oh wait, 10 times as many Koreans.Ya! A Korean war about Koreans! but anyway, I read 18 pages of military garbage here. Here's my response: here's Korea 1900... Korea Under Japanese Colonial Domination

Here's our forum korea of 2018 Korea Under Japanese Colonial Domination.
Korea doesn't want to be stuck between Japan and Russia. It doesn't now want to be stuck between a New Communist Russia and Miguk Americans.
I can promise you that much, to history and also Koreans. You're like obviously the situation in Korea demanded.... oh wait did you ask a korean, no, dont ask a korean. See, Korea are the unfortunates stuck to the front of the japanese tank again, right. see there's koreans, then japan, then all the way over here America, don't have to worry about it, communist prevention theory with domino theory, logical conclusion. Sattelite nations!Where are you guys even from army brat families, I personally find out this stuff, oh the Forgotten War I need to look into that for Koreans who are affected, which is true, 2 million dead Koreans is like a holocaust. I don't know how Asia keeps their sanity, I personally think they don't. Its like Russia and Germany. we just have over 20 million dead people between japan and china. political differences perhaps? Anybody outside your country was an unimaginable, vicious enemy in the near past.

I am interested, and I have worked on, humanizing the strange foreign animal that is communism. Where is the one theory? How did it get like it is? I must admit not the slightest connection or interest. Cambodia took away all money, cities, families, forced every person in the fields in communes and shot all indigenous tribes, foreign or different ethnicities, hooray, China endorsed it, our communism is Chinese communism not Vietnamese communism. Bunch of backscratching rulers obviously. Stare at a hippy neighbor in favor of legal marijuana, communist. GDP per capita in former soviet bloc countries rarely breaks 1000 dollars a person, haha, those poor, wait a second... non-economic labor... hmm... Is the brain washing just Universal to it? Freedom of the Press is really lacking. My favorite joke out of all of it is, True Communism has Never been Tried. Have you seen that one? Ya, because a philosophical direction doesn't need accounting with numbers or credibility, Communism wasn't applied correctly in any sort of failure and Communism needs to be done again. Did we all set out to be Reactionaries to the Nazis, nor did we set out to be Capitalists to the communists? Oh don't do all that crazy, wait don't , people can still trade their furs for matchlocks, or no? The Korean War was safely about Communism, though, correct? Its such a fact I got ahead of myself. Korean literature has allowed this to get a lot more nuanced, I had read a book on the legitimate continuity of the South Korean Government, you should look into the Provisional Government, its all South Korean from 1910 to 1948, the Russian Tank Commander Kim Il Sung just swooped in there for some land grabs 1948.
Out of the way! The Glorious Capitalist revolution begins anew! Juche theory proves these snowy mountains have everything the Korean people need for ourselves! Under Capitalism! Words! Ideological! Repetition!

Korean War veterans are universal pricks. Here's my evidence. Eisenhower personally rebranded American churches for Liberty! The Presbyterian Church now stands for Liberty! In and Under God and we Trust with God's in my butt! On your dollar! American! Meet a Korean occupation guy in the US army bases in his American tie, I'm also learning Korean with you! Kimosabe! Kimosabe! pricks, I bet I'd meet 10 veterans and get nothing, its cold! They hadn't invented rock radio, I wish I had Vietnam. I offer Korea honorary and automatic recognition to the Bonnie Blue Flag, Hoorah! see pamphlet for details.
It is a sweeping landslide all of Korea is raving mad for, hold the applause please, a protestor who's been in the united states and Californian colleges for the last 20 years ,you all know this guy, Syngman Rhee! I found Jesus in jail ya, he told me marry my german secretary, crush down Korean liberty for America , destroy Korean democracy to not emerge for 30 years, that kind of thing.

Last edited:
OK I listened to 90% of everybody on 18 pages... I want to make sure because I'm pretty sure this is a history forum. This is history without some dumbcrap americans and maybe a few dumb military Koreans, oh wait 10 times as many, ya, a Korean war by Koreans, oh yaaaa. but anyway, I read 18 pages of military garbage I'm like, so, here's Korea 1900... Korea Under Japanese Colonial Domination

I can promise you that much, to history and also Koreans. You're like obviously the situation in Korea demanded , oh wait ask a korean, no, dont ask a korean. See, Korea are the nigg**s stuck to the front of the japanese tank, see there's koreans, then japan, then all the way over here, don't have to worry about it, communist prevention theory with domino theory, logical conclusion. Sattelite nations!Where are you guys even from army brat families, I was like, oh the Forgotten War I need to look into that for Koreans who are affected, which is true, 2 million dead Koreans is like a holocaust. I don't know how Asia keeps sanity, I personally think they don't. Its like Russia and Germany oh we just have over 20 million dead people between japan and china, political differences? Anybody outside your country was an unimaginable, vicious enemy in the near past.

I am interested, and I have worked on, humanizing the strange foreign animal that is communism. Where is the one theory? How did it get like it is? I must admit not the slightest connection or interest. Cambodia took away all money, cities, families, forced every person in the fields in communes and shot all indigenous tribes, foreign or different ethnicities, hooray, China endorsed it, our communism is Chinese communism not Vietnamese communism. Bunch of backscratching rulers obviously. Stare at a hippy neighbor in favor of legal marijuana, communist. GDP per capita in former soviet bloc countries rarely breaks 1000 dollars a person, haha, those poor, wait a second... non-economic labor... hmm... Is the brain washing just Universal to it? Freedom of the Press is really lacking. My favorite joke out of all of it is, True Communism has Never been Tried. Have you seen that one? Ya, because a philosophical direction doesn't need accounting with numbers or credibility, Communism wasn't applied correctly in any sort of failure and Communism needs to be done again. Did we all set out to be Reactionaries to the Nazis, nor did we set out to be Capitalists to the communists? Oh don't do all that crazy, wait don't , people can still trade their furs for matchlocks, or no? The Korean War was safely about Communism, though, correct? Its such a fact I got ahead of myself. Korean literature has allowed this to get a lot more nuanced, I had read a book on the legitimate continuity of the South Korean Government, you should look into the Provisional Government, its all South Korean from 1910 to 1948, the Russian Tank Commander Kim Il Sung just swooped in there for some land grabs 1948.
Out of the way! The Glorious Capitalist revolution begins anew! Juche theory proves these snowy mountains have everything the Korean people need for ourselves! Under Capitalism! Words! Ideological! Repetition!
Quite a word salad

I can see why you don’t post often

OK I listened to 90% of everybody on 18 pages... I want to make sure because I'm pretty sure this is a history forum. This is history without some dumbcrap americans and maybe a few dumb military Koreans, oh wait 10 times as many, ya, a Korean war by Koreans, oh yaaaa. but anyway, I read 18 pages of military garbage I'm like, so, here's Korea 1900... Korea Under Japanese Colonial Domination

I can promise you that much, to history and also Koreans. You're like obviously the situation in Korea demanded , oh wait ask a korean, no, dont ask a korean. See, Korea are the nigg**s stuck to the front of the japanese tank, see there's koreans, then japan, then all the way over here, don't have to worry about it, communist prevention theory with domino theory, logical conclusion. Sattelite nations!Where are you guys even from army brat families, I was like, oh the Forgotten War I need to look into that for Koreans who are affected, which is true, 2 million dead Koreans is like a holocaust. I don't know how Asia keeps sanity, I personally think they don't. Its like Russia and Germany oh we just have over 20 million dead people between japan and china, political differences? Anybody outside your country was an unimaginable, vicious enemy in the near past.

what???!!!!!!!!????

Korean War veterans are universal pricks. Here's my evidence. Eisenhower personally rebranded American churches for Liberty! The Presbyterian Church now stands for Liberty! In and Under God and we Trust with God's in my butt! On your dollar! American! Meet a Korean occupation guy in the US army bases in his American tie, I'm also learning Korean with you! Kimosabe! Kimosabe! pricks, I bet I'd meet 10 veterans and get nothing, its cold! They hadn't invented rock radio, I wish I had Vietnam. I offer Korea honorary and automatic recognition to the Bonnie Blue Flag, Hoorah! see pamphlet for details.
What the #@^%& ... :dunno:

Quite a word salad

I can see why you don’t post often

I'm going to wait for the Cliff Notes version....

I can try to make it in Cliff Notes. Even Korean Movies have Americans just doing the incoherent Kill the Commies! Its North Korean propaganda too. Welcome to Dongmakgol is a famous Korean movie. People there hate the ideological hardlines that south Korean president lee myung bak for example, prevents the 4000 year old Korean civilization talking to itself for about 50 years? I liked my picture representation. Its marketing fact, nowhere more past-clinging to market than United Kingdom or Korea, could sell some stuff with a hanbok in a hanok. Even Korean Americans, affluent California Korean Americans presenting Domino Theory is SO annoying, and that its true too, its Korean patriotic fact. We all need to stick together as anti-communists or each one falls! In Cliff Notes, I wasn't highly enthusiastic on the military tactics post. You know what I hate about it, is watching on the same day, watching 2nd bull run, manasses, 2nd Harper's Ferry, shanendoah you know and the arrows and the directions and he lined up his left flank... 2.5 million political executions is involved in one of these wars. The US Civil war has the arrows and battles from Tennessee to Maryland, the Korean war was flight and persecution. I mean many things in Korean history we simply don't have the words and understanding of, many things. A woman saw the hungry ragged, confederates storming through Maryland, "God Bless your Confederate souls".Got shoes or not but so proud and happy on the enemy territory.

Well, forget getting carried off track with any sort of banter. Good enough pro documentary, about, some little battle, in a foreign land we Still don't want to know, that no one in the war knew. 50,000 dead in korea, 50,000 in Vietnam, hey why'd I lose 5 to ching chong ling long chinaland, that's my question, it's a pretty good question too.

Last edited:
I can try to make it in Cliff Notes. Even Korean Movies have Americans just doing the incoherent Kill the Commies! Its North Korean propaganda too. Welcome to Dongmakgol is a famous Korean movie. People there hate the ideological hardlines that south Korean president lee myung bak for example, prevents the 4000 year old Korean civilization talking to itself for about 50 years? I liked my picture representation. Its marketing fact, nowhere more past-clinging to market than United Kingdom or Korea, could sell some stuff with a hanbok in a hanok. Even Korean Americans, affluent California Korean Americans presenting Domino Theory is SO annoying, and that its true too, its Korean patriotic fact. We all need to stick together as anti-communists or each one falls! In Cliff Notes, I wasn't highly enthusiastic on the military tactics post. You know what I hate about it, is watching on the same day, watching 2nd bull run, manasses, 2nd Harper's Ferry, shanendoah you know and the arrows and the directions and he lined up his left flank... 2.5 million political executions is involved in one of these wars. The US Civil war has the arrows and battles from Tennessee to Maryland, the Korean war was flight and persecution. I mean many things in Korean history we simply don't have the words and understanding of, many things. A woman saw the hungry ragged, confederates storming through Maryland, "God Bless your Confederate souls".Got shoes or not but so proud and happy on the enemy territory.

Well, forget getting carried off track with any sort of banter. Good enough pro documentary, about, some little battle, in a foreign land we Still don't want to know, that no one in the war knew. 50,000 dead in korea, 50,000 in Vietnam, hey why'd I lose 5 to ching chong ling long chinaland, that's my question, it's a pretty good question too.
Are you capable of maintaining a single thought in your head?

Forum List

Back