The Army's Freshwater Navy

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
lcm8.jpg

For all who enjoy military history or those who lived through it or those whose parents did, this is a fascinating read about The River Rats and the Mike Boats they plied up and down the Mekong River of Vietnam.

I have no idea if the author is still around as his link doesn't work. I've been on them and this brought back lots and lots of memories. The Army also operated tug boats that pushed refrigerated and plain barges on the Mekong and it took just as much guts to operate them as the crews on the Mike Boats.

And yes, the navy was there with its Swift Boats, something we were always thrilled to see. (And the navy had awesome mess halls we sometime got to use. You might also check out Mekong Ambush on Amazon.com.

Read this @ Medium Boat Company

There are a couple Vietnam era PT boat parked at Alameda next to the Hornet, at least there used to be. And they give tours of these boats, except the engine room. I was told the engines are still classified and the public can't see them.

And Apoclypse Now does a good treatment of the Delta boats you are talking about don't you think?

Years ago I was working with a fellow, and we started talking about our military service during Vietnam.

He told me that he was one of only two tug boat captain's in the US Army at a harbor in Vietnam.

I thought he was full of BS until he pulled out an old picture of him in army green fatigues, standing on the deck of a tug boat with US Army painted on the side. ....... :cool:

lcm8.jpg

For all who enjoy military history or those who lived through it or those whose parents did, this is a fascinating read about The River Rats and the Mike Boats they plied up and down the Mekong River of Vietnam.

I have no idea if the author is still around as his link doesn't work. I've been on them and this brought back lots and lots of memories. The Army also operated tug boats that pushed refrigerated and plain barges on the Mekong and it took just as much guts to operate them as the crews on the Mike Boats.

And yes, the navy was there with its Swift Boats, something we were always thrilled to see. (And the navy had awesome mess halls we sometime got to use. You might also check out Mekong Ambush on Amazon.com.

Read this @ Medium Boat Company

Brown water Navy and the Blue Water Navy.

Two different breeds indeed.

Shadow 355

There are a couple Vietnam era PT boat parked at Alameda next to the Hornet, at least there used to be. And they give tours of these boats, except the engine room. I was told the engines are still classified and the public can't see them.

And Apoclypse Now does a good treatment of the Delta boats you are talking about don't you think?

I've talked to guys who served who complained about too much artistic license. (Same with The Green Berets)

Forum List

Back