The Afghan Miracle; Why Isn't This Stunning US Success Appreciated?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Dec 9, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    its inspiring to realize all the liberals, mass media and most nations of the world took time this week to ignore the swearing in of the afghan president karzai, its great how we get absolutely no credit for a miracle in resucing afghanistan

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,159
    Just like they ignored the Berlin Wall coming down - at least as much as they possibly could. :lalala: This is history in the making and GWB will be remembered as a great president right alongside Reagan. That is, if we can prevent them from rewriting our history books...

3. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    election. Karzai lived in Cambridge before he was called back to Afghanistan; I know his old hangouts, the Afghani restaurants here. It's an amazing accomplishment to hold an election in a society as complex as Afghanistan. Of course, don't assume that this is now a complete democracy--we're tied to some pretty rough local bullies there right now, and many areas remain lawless.

Screamer, you've got to let got this idea that liberals want these war efforts to fail. I totally supported our actions in Afghanistan, and even though I remain against the Iraq adventure, I deeply hope we succeed there.

Mariner.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Remaining against the invasion of Iraq seriously dilutes any effect that your desire for success in Iraq has.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    because liberals can never admit they are wrong.

6. Mariner

Mariner Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52
    GWB seems the most "never admit I'm wrong" person on planet earth right now. Liberals never admit they're wrong? I think many liberals agree that parts of the "War on Poverty" were a mistake, as were modern ideas of urban renewal. Just two examples.

Dillo, I'll return to the analogy I used earlier: If the fire chief orders the firefighters into a house, I can support the firefighters fully--even if I believe there was a bigger, more important fire happening elsewhere, and therefore question the chief's judgement.

You can find plenty of Volvos in Cambridge decorated with a Kerry/Edwards sticker and a "Support Our Troops" ribbon. It's not a contradiction.

Mariner.

7. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    It's a total contradiction. You insult them when you say they're dying for no good reason.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It simply means there are a lot of hypocrites in Cambridge. Why should GWB lay himself open to attack when the left has falsely accused him of being wrong ALL THE TIME ?

9. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    to call our efforts in afghanistan a success. I supported our determination to go after the collaborators that attacted us on 9-11. I think that we could have done this with an effective intelligence infiltration that may have even exposed bin laden to capture before now,( unfortunately our intelligence community has lost our confidence) but lacking that means I guess power and might was a best second solution. I think the elections were a real postive step for afghanistan and I hope that our good intentions are successful.
    We have supported regimes in the past that have not always proved to be the best choices Marcos, the Shaw, even Saddam to name a few. I hope Karzai is an honorable person and a benefit to his country as well as the world. Yes, I think we should give credit where credit is due so I think to be fair I will be optimistic for this new government.

10. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Considering that the country has been at war since 1979, I think that the fact they held free elections without incident is a major achievement. After all, they had less problems during their elections then we did with ours and we've been doing it for 200+ years.