Rumsfeld Set Up; Reporter Planted Questions With Solider

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Gem, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782

Does anyone else find this completely unethical? I have no problem with the questions asked...but I think that a reporter using troops to get the scoop on making Rumsfeld look bad sets a poor precedent...are future q&a sessions going to be cancelled because the leaders involved can't be sure who they are giving answers to...the troops or members of the media looking to get a quick smear story?

Rich Lowry said today, "If you ask Rumsfeld why he isn't protecting the troops, if you desert and go to Canada, if you sue the military...the media will make you a star and will cover your story every five minutes...but if you are in Falluja doing your job and doing it with great pride...you're invisible and the media won't touch you."

2. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Valid question, but completely unethical. Edward is the Pitts.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Something doesn't sound right here. Not sure what, but something is wrong with this story.

4. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    There are some very bright people in here....who was it who asked, "why is a aviation guy asking that question?"

Seems your instincts were correct.

What a piece of work this reporter is.....he will probably get promoted, too.

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Well, it seems that Mr. Pitts does indeed work for said newspaper and that he is indeed embedded with the 278th RCT. If the e-mail is indeed true, he will be back in the US before you can say "Allah Akbhar" and rightfully so. I bet a nickel to a donut that at least two soldiers in the 278th are catching a raft of crap right now from their fellow soldiers. If they did indeed collaborate with this reporter to embarass the VIP, they would be in for some UCMJ non-judicial punishment at the very least. The release of this e-mail (if true) would be a primary piece of evidence in those proceedings.

6. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    No doubt....I think it would be more than fair to say they will deserve whatever demotion and other punishment that is doled out, if this is true.

7. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    The thing of it is the soldier would not have asked the question if they were not sympathetic to the point being made. If the question was accurate, regardless of where it came from, then it needed to be worked on. However there is a chain of command, it should not have been dealt with from the press but within that chain. If you don't get an answer from your immediate supervisor keep going up the chain until answers are given, don't jump everybody and go directly to the public.

8. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    no1,

I agree, the question was a valid one. One that I feel Rumsfeld answers honestly, to his credit. However, I am more concerned with the potential fallout of a reporter not only using soldiers on the ground to get his questions answered...but then bragging about it.

(This is, of course, still up for debate, the email is presently on Drudge, but it hasn't been confirmed as of yet)

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    It goes further than that...I suspect the soldiers had indeed asked the question of their chain of command prior to this event and that they already had the answer and the answer was very similar to the one Rumsfeld gave. I know soldiers very well and I have no doubt that the reporter colluded with these two soldiers specifically to embarass the Secretary. The soldiers probably thought of it as a prank and kind of neat to yank Rumsfeld's chain, not realizing how much trouble they could get into. For that reason alone I would rule out the firing squad, but not much else.

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    As I suspected, the unit already had been informed of the status of armored vehicles as evidenced by this story filed by Mr. Pitts earlier:

http://www.greene.xtn.net/index.php?table=news&template=news.view.subscriber&newsid=117612

The fact that the unit KNEW it was taking over armored vehicles once they got there, the fact that most unit members were being flown into Iraq as opposed to driving and the fact that the scrounging going on was not truly necessary indicates to me that the entire event was indeed staged to embarass Rumsfeld. The reporte should be sent home post haste and those two soldiers severly reprimanded.