The Abortionist of Arkansas

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
I have to say this man is truly one of the scariest people I have ever had the displeasure of hearing about. The scariest part of this is his reasoning for performing abortions, and second is that he is proud to be doing it. And this article is kind to him leaving out many of his scariest quotes that interviewer Martin Bashir did recently on Nighline.

Offering Abortion, Rebirth
Yes, an Arkansas doctor says, he destroys life. But he believes the thousands of women who have relied on him have been 'born again.'
By Stephanie Simon, Times Staff Writer

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Dr. William F. Harrison has forgotten how many children the woman had. He remembers she was poor and, most vividly, he remembers her response when a physician diagnosed her distended stomach as pregnancy.

"Oh, God, doctor," the woman said. "I was hoping it was cancer."

This was in 1967. Harrison was a medical student and his wife was expecting their third child. It had never occurred to him that a woman would be anything but happy to learn she was pregnant.

The next year, he trained on a maternity ward. In a 24-hour shift, it was not unusual, he said, for four or five women to come in feverish or hemorrhaging from botched abortions.

Harrison opened an obstetrics and gynecology practice, but after the Supreme Court established abortion as a constitutional right in 1973, he decided to take on an additional specialty. Now 70, Harrison estimates he's terminated at least 20,000 pregnancies.
His clinic has not been picketed for years, but Harrison feels very much on the front lines these days.

Harrison warns every patient he sees that abortion may be illegal one day. He wants to stir them to activism, but most women respond mildly.

"I can't imagine the country coming to that," says Kim, 35, in for her second abortion in two years.

A high school senior says the issue won't weigh heavily when she evaluates candidates. "There's other issues I see as more important," she says, "like whether they'll raise taxes."

Patients asked to be identified only by their first names or, in some cases, by their ages to protect their privacy.

He answered every phone call, replied to every letter in the newspaper and appeared at public forums to defend abortion rights. Eventually, the protesters in this college town left him alone. (Arkansas Right to Life focuses instead on educating women about alternatives to abortion, Executive Director Rose Mimms said.)

In the years since, Harrison has become more outspoken.

He calls himself an "abortionist" and says, "I am destroying life."
But he also feels he's giving life: He calls his patients "born again."

"When you end what the woman considers a disastrous pregnancy, she has literally been given her life back," he says.

Before giving up obstetrics in 1991, Harrison delivered 6,000 babies. Childbirth, he says, should be joyous; a woman should never consider it a punishment or an obligation.

"We try to make sure she doesn't ever feel guilty," he says, "for what she feels she has to do."

It is a few minutes before 11 a.m. when Harrison raps on the door of his operating room and walks in.

His Fayetteville Women's Clinic occupies a once-elegant home dating to the 1940s; the first-floor surgery looks like it was a parlor. Thick blue curtains block the windows and paintings of butterflies and flowers hang on the walls. The radio is tuned to an easy-listening station.

An 18-year-old with braces on her teeth is on the operating table, her head on a plaid pillow, her feet up in stirrups, her arms strapped down at her sides. A pink blanket is draped over her stomach. She's 13 weeks pregnant, at the very end of the first trimester. She hasn't told her parents.

A nurse has already given her a local anesthetic, Valium and a drug to dilate her cervix; Harrison prepares to inject Versed, a sedative, in her intravenous line. The drug will wipe out her memory of everything that happens during the 20 minutes she's in the operating room. It's so effective that patients who return for a follow-up exam often don't recognize Harrison.

The doctor is wearing a black turtleneck, brown slacks and tennis shoes. He snaps his gum as he checks the monitors displaying the patient's pulse rate and oxygen count.
"This is not going to be nearly as hard as you anticipate," he tells her.

She smiles wanly. Keeping up a constant patter — he asks about her brothers, her future birth control plans, whether she's good at tongue twisters — Harrison pulls on sterile gloves.

"How're you doing up there?" he asks.

"Doing OK."

"Good girl."

Harrison glances at an ultrasound screen frozen with an image of the fetus taken moments before. Against the fuzzy black-and-white screen, he sees the curve of a head, the bend of an elbow, the ball of a fist.
"You may feel some cramping while we suction everything out," Harrison tells the patient.
A moment later, he says: "You're going to hear a sucking sound."

The abortion takes two minutes. The patient lies still and quiet, her eyes closed, a few tears rolling down her cheeks. The friend who has accompanied her stands at her side, mutely stroking her arm.

When he's done, Harrison performs another ultrasound. The screen this time is blank but for the contours of the uterus. "We've gotten everything out of there," he says.
As the nurse drops the instruments in the sink with a clatter, the teenager looks around, woozy.

"It was a lot easier than I thought it would be," she says. "I thought it would be horrible, but it wasn't. The procedure, that is."

She is not yet sure, she says, how she is doing emotionally. She feels guilty, sad and relieved, all in a jumble.

"There's things wrong with abortion," she says. "But I want to have a good life. And provide a good life for my child." To keep this baby now, she says, when she's single, broke and about to start college, "would be unfair."

.Politicians on both sides of the abortion debate often talk up adoption as a better alternative. Harrison's patients do not consider it an option.

A high school volleyball player says she doesn't want to give up her body for nine months. "I realize just from the first three months how it changes everything," she says

Kim, a single mother of three, says she couldn't bear to give away a child and have to wonder every day if he were loved. Ending the pregnancy seemed easier, she says — as long as she doesn't let herself think about "what could have been."
By law, Harrison's staff must offer patients two pamphlets from the state. One lists adoption services and groups that provide free diapers, day-care subsidies and other aid. The second contains photos of the fetus at various stages of development.

Patients don't have to accept either pamphlet. Most wave them away, their minds made up.

For the few women who arrive ambivalent or beset by guilt, Harrison's nurse has posted statistics on the exam-room mirror: One out of every four pregnant women in the U.S. chooses abortion. A third of all women in this country will have at least one abortion by the time they're 45.
"You think there's room in hell for all those women?" the nurse will ask.

If the woman remains troubled, the nurse tells her to go home and think it over.

"If they truly feel they're killing a baby, we're not going to do an abortion for them," says the nurse, who asked not to be identified for fear protesters would target her.

The 17-year-old in for a consultation this morning assures the nurse that she does not consider the embryo inside her a baby.

"Not until it's developed," she says. "That would be about three months?"

"It's completely formed about nine weeks," the nurse tells her. "Yours is more like a chicken yolk."

The girl, who is five weeks pregnant, looks relieved. "Then no," she says, "it's not a baby." Her mother sits in the corner wiping her tears.

Harrison draws his own moral line at the end of the second trimester, or 26 weeks since the first day of the woman's last menstrual period. Until that point, he will abort for any reason.

"It's not a baby to me until the mother tells me it's a baby," he says.

But Harrison refuses to end third-trimester pregnancies, even if the fetus is severely disabled. Some premature infants born at that stage, or even a few weeks earlier, can survive. Harrison believes they may be developed enough to feel pain in utero. Just a handful of doctors around the nation will abort a fetus at this stage.

"I just don't think it should be done," says Harrison, who calls the practice infanticide.

Most women seek abortions much earlier in pregnancy; nearly 90% are in their first trimester. As long as Roe vs. Wade stands, states cannot ban abortions that early but legislatures can impose a variety of conditions.

At least 28 states, including Arkansas, require patients to receive counseling before the day of their abortion. Arkansas is also one of 26 states to require underage girls to get parental consent.

Abortion rights activists say such laws burden women unnecessarily, forcing them to miss work, find child care and pay for transportation to make two trips to the clinic, which may be hundreds of miles away. There's one abortion clinic in Mississippi and one in South Dakota. There are two in Missouri and two in Arkansas.

Amanda, a 20-year-old administrative assistant, says it's not the obstacles that surprise her — it's how normal and unashamed she feels as she prepares to end her first pregnancy.
"It's an everyday occurrence," she says as she waits for her 2:30 p.m. abortion. "It's not like this is a rare thing."
Amanda hasn't told her ex-boyfriend that she's 15 weeks pregnant with his child. She hasn't told her parents, either, though she lives with them.

"I figured it was my responsibility," she says.

She regrets having to pay $750 for the abortion, but Amanda says she does not doubt her decision. "It's not like it's illegal. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong," she says.
"I've been praying a lot and that's been a real source of strength for me. I really believe God has a plan for us all. I have a choice, and that's part of my plan.

Before, after and even during an abortion, Harrison lectures his patients on birth control. He urges them to get on the pill and to insist their partners use condoms.

They promise. But Harrison knows many will be back.

His first patient of the day, Sarah, 23, says it never occurred to her to use birth control, though she has been sexually active for six years. When she became pregnant this fall, Sarah, who works in real estate, was in the midst of planning her wedding. "I don't think my dress would have fit with a baby in there," she says.

The last patient of the day, a 32-year-old college student named Stephanie, has had four abortions in the last 12 years. She keeps forgetting to take her birth control pills. Abortion "is a bummer," she says, "but no big stress."Harrison does not get frustrated with such patients.

He has learned to focus on the facts he considers most important: This woman does not want to be pregnant. He can give her back control of her life and keep a child from coming into the world unwanted. He believes in this so strongly, he waives his fees for women who can't come up with the money.

Last February, Harrison injured his head in a fall. He underwent three surgeries and spent months in rehabilitation. His wife urged him to retire.

"There's no one to take my place," he told her.

As soon as he felt strong enough, Harrison was back in surgery.

He'll keep at it as long as his stamina holds, or as long as it is legal.

Three abortions before lunch and three more after: The appointment book is always full.[/B

Abortion in the U.S.

The U.S. abortion rate has been dropping since 1990, but abortion remains one of the most common surgical procedures for women. A quarter of all pregnancies end in abortion. A third of all American women will have had an abortion by the age of 45, according to the Guttmacher Institute, a research organization that supports abortion rights.

Who has abortions

By age:

Under 15: 1%

15-19: 19%

20-24: 33%

25-29: 23%

30-34: 13%

35-39: 8%

40-44: 3%

--

Abortions by gestational age

(Weeks of gestation at time of abortion) BTR Less than 9 59.1%
BTR 9-10 19.0%
BTR 11-12 10.0%
BTR 13-15 6.2%
BTR 16-20 4.3%
BTR 21-plus 1.4%
The normal gestation period is about 40 weeks

Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Guttmacher Institute

An excellent find, Bonnie; a most disturbing read. I think what hurts me most is the screwed-up sense of priorities some of these girls have. And, the abortionist's own words offer a chilling reminder that the worst of evildoers can justify their actions to themselves. Stalin's crimes seemed perfectly reasonable to himself - in the context of HIS mindset and HIS values.

This is an incredibly hot topic, and I believe valid arguments can be made on both sides of the fence.

He calls himself an "abortionist" and says, "I am destroying life."

I applaud the doctor for being so candid even while some of the stories chill me to the bone.

they will all answer to the higher power. This coming from the more secular of the religious of the board.

listopencil said:
This is an incredibly hot topic, and I believe valid arguments can be made on both sides of the fence.

I applaud the doctor for being so candid even while some of the stories chill me to the bone.

Do you also applaud Hitler for being so candid about his Jew hatred?

Gee, Bonnie.... I thought Joesf Mengele died years ago.. (he was the "doctor" known as "The Angel of Death" for his experiments on prisoners at Auschwitz) I guess his spirit lives on with creeps like this guy

Here's an irony for you, from the Hippocratic Oath -- Classical Version

I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art.

the modern day Hippocratic Oath does not have a similar phrase...

It is beyond my comprehension how anyone would or could even think of a fetus as being a living human being. It is part of tissue of a woman. When the umbilical cord is cut and it is breathing on its own, then it is a living viable human being. If I were a Dr. I would specialize in abortions.

Merlin said:
It is beyond my comprehension how anyone would or could even think of a fetus as being a living human being. It is part of tissue of a woman. When the umbilical cord is cut and it is breathing on its own, then it is a living viable human being. If I were a Dr. I would specialize in abortions.

Modern science is clear on this, it is a separate genetic entity that relies on another for life. It is a separate life, definitively defined by its DNA. To assume it is of only one life is not taking science and making a conclusion it is taking emotion and making a belief contrary to science.

I could somewhat understand somebody talking like this about the first 5 weeks before brainwave activity begins, that it might not yet be a 'person' but it certainly cannot scientifically be considered a part of the other life.

Much like a child after birth the child relies on its mother for life, to judge it to be less than a separate life is only a way to assuage guilt and presume a right to end that life without regard to its right to live.

Merlin said:
It is beyond my comprehension how anyone would or could even think of a fetus as being a living human being.
That's like saying it is beyond your comprehension how a person born in India, raised in India and living in India can speak Hindi. But let me make it easy for you, here's how it is possible... fetuses turn into babies, babies grow up to be children and adults.... get the connection? Those fetuses don't turn into grapefruits, dogs, or anything else, they turn into human beings (by the way, it may not have occurred to you, but all of us were fetuses at one time or another... funny how that works out!)

It is part of tissue of a woman. When the umbilical cord is cut and it is breathing on its own, then it is a living viable human being.
1. A fetus possesses a distinct genetic blueprint apart from its mother. For that reason, it is NOT part of the tissue of the mother.
2. A fetus displays attributes that we consider "personhood" from a early stage of its development forward. Attributes include, sucking its thumb, crying, responding to stimuli etc.

By the way, pray that you don't find yourself in a state where you are on life support for a time, perhaps someone might find taking care of you to be an inconvenience and use your own arguments to end your life.

If I were a Dr. I would specialize in abortions.
And if I were a judge, I would pray for a case to put you out of business.

KarlMarx said:
Merlin said:
Those fetuses don't turn into grapefruits, dogs, or anything else, they turn into human beings (by the way, it may not have occurred to you, but all of us were fetuses at one time or another... funny how that works out!)

By the way, pray that you don't find yourself in a state where you are on life support for a time, perhaps someone might find taking care of you to be an inconvenience and use your own arguments to end your life.

And if I were a judge, I would pray for a case to put you out of business.
Yes, I was a fetus once before I turned a living, breathing, viable human being. And when the time comes that I need to be on life support to breath, I hope someone says "lets pull the plug, he's no better off than a fetus?

musicman said:
An excellent find, Bonnie; a most disturbing read. I think what hurts me most is the screwed-up sense of priorities some of these girls have. And, the abortionist's own words offer a chilling reminder that the worst of evildoers can justify their actions to themselves. Stalin's crimes seemed perfectly reasonable to himself - in the context of HIS mindset and HIS values.

If you can find Martin Bashir's interview with this person, I would listen to it. In it he says he has performed over 20 thousand abortions nine on one girl alone.

Merlin said:
KarlMarx said:
Yes, I was a fetus once before I turned a living, breathing, viable human being. And when the time comes that I need to be on life support to breath, I hope someone says "lets pull the plug, he's no better off than a fetus?
That's easy for you to say... now. I assume that you're in good health. I wonder if you'll still feel the same when and if you ever find yourself in that position. Until that day comes, you really don't know.

KarlMarx said:
Merlin said:
That's easy for you to say... now. I assume that you're in good health. I wonder if you'll still feel the same when and if you ever find yourself in that position. Until that day comes, you really don't know.
KarlMarx, The first time I was sent home to die because they couldn't give me a heart transplant, even John Hopkins, was March 1998. Since that time I have said my goodbyes to my family 2 more times, but woke up both times. I'm still sitting here when I'm too weak to get out and piddle, waiting to die and the hospital has orders "Do Not Resuscitate." My whole family knows better than to put me on any of those machines that will keep me alive artificially. I've had long talks with my Maker and dieing surely isn't the worse thing that can happen to someone. Many nights I've laid down hopping against hope not to wake up the next morning. That day has come, and I do know.

Merlin said:
KarlMarx said:
KarlMarx, The first time I was sent home to die because they couldn't give me a heart transplant, even John Hopkins, was March 1998. Since that time I have said my goodbyes to my family 2 more times, but woke up both times. I'm still sitting here when I'm too weak to get out and piddle, waiting to die and the hospital has orders "Do Not Resuscitate." My whole family knows better than to put me on any of those machines that will keep me alive artificially. I've had long talks with my Maker and dieing surely isn't the worse thing that can happen to someone. Many nights I've laid down hopping against hope not to wake up the next morning. That day has come, and I do know.

I will assume (correct me if wrong) by your statement above... that you were born with a heart defect and wish... maybe that you were aborted to save you all this pain and suffering...thus you support abortions for this reason...however most abortions are for convenience sake...and even though you may be suffering physically you should also think about those babies who were not given the chance for life!

Merlin said:
KarlMarx said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You've definitely been through more than I.

However, you made a choice, you have been given something an unborn child is denied by the abortionist. That is, the choice to live or to die.

Abortion takes that right away. It makes the unborn person nothing more than the property of its mother to do with as she sees fit.

Merlin said:

So, you are saying that women, from time to time, just start growing penises inside their abdomens? :duh3:

Merlin said:

And yet oddly enough, if I were to kill the fetus of a woman, I can be charged with homicide/manslaughter. :huh:

KarlMarx said:
1. A fetus possesses a distinct genetic blueprint apart from its mother. For that reason, it is NOT part of the tissue of the mother.
2. A fetus displays attributes that we consider "personhood" from a early stage of its development forward. Attributes include, sucking its thumb, crying, responding to stimuli etc.

1. An identical twin does NOT possess a distinct genetic blueprint from his brother (or sister). Does that mean that twins are the same person? Can one twin kill the other, and that's okay?

2. Before a fetus displays attributes that we consider "personhood," would you consider abortion okay?

Max Power said:
1. An identical twin does NOT possess a distinct genetic blueprint from his brother (or sister). Does that mean that twins are the same person? Can one twin kill the other, and that's okay?

2. Before a fetus displays attributes that we consider "personhood," would you consider abortion okay?
No--it's not ok for an identical twin to kill.

Forum List

Back