The 36-hour work week/3-day weekend

Huh? What are the drawbacks?

If I purchase $10,000 stocks, or any investment, and it triples in value, and I sell it, I have to pay $5,000 in taxes, eating up a good chunk of the increase.

If I put $10K in any investment through a 401K, and it triples in value, it grows in value tax free.... correct?

What is the drawback? Explain please. I don't understand.

A 401 k is not tax free it is tax deferred
Look at the way your 401 is taxed when you take the money out.

ALL of the contributions and ALL of the gains are taxed as regular income.

The government forces you to take required minimum withdrawals every year. If you do not take out the required amount you get heavy tax penalties.

Now compare that to a non qualified plan.

Your money is categorized as principle ( the after tax money used to purchase investments) and gains (the actual growth of your investments)

If you invested 100K and it grew to 1 million you would not be taxed on the 1ooK investment and the rest would be taxed at the lower capital gains rate of 15%

Now let's say you only need 40K to live on. In a non qualified investment you only have to take out what you need and can leave the rest in to continue to grow thereby making your nest egg last longer.

In a 401 or other qualified plan the government would force you to take the required withdrawal even if it was more than you needed to cover your expenses and all of that withdrawal is taxed at the higher regular income tax rate. So you pay more taxes than you have to and your nest egg will be depleted faster.

IMO those are significant drawbacks.

Roth 401K / IRA? My understanding is that there is no minimum distribution in Roths. Even so, the required distribution is fairly low, don't you think? From what I've read, the RMD on a $500K traditional 401K, is about $18K. At $18K a year, that would be 27 years, assuming that you picked such horrible funds, that there was zero increase for 27 years. Not to mention the RMD doesn't start until you hit 70, which means that, again assume zero increase for 27 years, means you'll run out at 97 years old?

A Roth is an after tax investment. The gains are favorably treated but not everyone can contribute to a Roth IRA. Very few 401 k plans offered by business are Roth plans

You have a point, you do... not sure it's that big of a deal. It's more of a big deal because of the draconian taxes the tyrannical government imposes. 50% tax on every dollar you fail to withdraw. That's unbelievable.

I guess where I got confused was this:

If you invested 100K and it grew to 1 million you would not be taxed on the 1ooK investment and the rest would be taxed at the lower capital gains rate of 15%

My understanding.... and I could be wrong... is that you have to pay taxes on the gain each year. Which adds up to thousands on thousands of dollars.

On any investment vehicle you only pay taxes on realized gains. So if you never cashed out stocks, bonds or mutual funds you would never pay taxes on them.
If I put $100K in a bank savings account, I have to pay taxes on the gain of that account each year.
Similarly, if I put that $100K into a mutual fund, and it gains 10% each year, every year I'll get hit with a capital gains tax of 15% on that gain, in addition to my regular income taxes. By the time I save up $1 Million in my mutual fund, I'll be paying $15,000 a year in Capital Gains tax.

If I work a $40K a year job, I could easily save up a Million dollars in a mutual fund. But by the time I got to that point, outside of a 401K, by the time I reached that amount, I'd be paying $15K in capital gains, in addition to my regular income tax.

However, if I put the same $100K into a 401K mutual fund, and it gains 10% a year, I pay zero taxes. When my mutual fund hits $1 Million, I'm still paying zero tax. Then if I have a 401K, I pull it out at my tax rate. If I have a Roth, I pull it out tax free.

I do grasp your point, that all things being equal, you would rather take the 15% capital gains rate, over the 35% income tax rate. But there is no way that someone earning $40K a year, would be able to take the yearly capital gains hit of $15,000 in addition to normal income tax. And if they sucked the yearly capital gains taxes, out of the mutual fund, they would never get even close to $1 Million saved up.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-too...ax-Benefits-of-Your-401-k--Plan/INF22614.html
Distributions and Taxes

I could be all wrong about all of this, but that was my understanding.

Simple interest is counted as income. Appreciation in stock , bond or mutual fund shares is not.

If you saved 1 million dollars using after tax money in a private portfolio you would would not pay tax on the principle you withdraw only the gains and you would only pay that when you sold shares for cash.

Roth IRAs are a great tool and the best of the qualified plans IMO but if you leave a Roth to someone that person will be subject to required withdrawals.

In the long run 401 ks are actually better for the government than for the average Joe because the government gets more tax revenue out of them than any other type of investment.

So IMO if your employer offers a retirement plan with a match put in what you have to to max out all matching funds then invest in a Roth IRA if you qualify.m If you want to invest more than the Roth limits open up an investment account with a self service broker.

Is that the only thing you found wrong with my post (one word), so how about the rest of it ?

You know I'm right on this stuff, as it takes no rocket scientist to understand what goes on, and have you forgotten why I was layed off or do you just ignore what one says in so that you can try and make up things in the ways that you want them to read or be read otherwise? Why so hostile, I mean are you a businessman who has been guilty of being greedy, and hoarding everything for yourself in life in which I figure if so, then you are probably the real lazy one who was just some how fortunate enough to have been in the right situation and at the right time in life. I know people who have taken dirt and turned it into a fortune, but it was only because they were in a supply and demand chain that allowed it to turn out that way. There wasn't really much thought involved in it all, so it is amazing what can come from some of the most unsuspecting businesses that people can get into, but it is still no reason for them to be bad people if they are fortunate in life, so I see it as a character flaw really when they who are the guilty ones are bad, and in other situations there are trends that get started, and that are followed, where as it is supposed that you are a fool if you treat your employee's as if they are somebody instead of idiots who can be duped easily.

If they are being duped and they are not idiots, why are they being duped? Do you realize that your rant is just as much saying that EMPLOYEES are stupid for accepting crap wages as it is saying that EMPLOYERS are greedy for giving them?

Well, that basically is the view of the left. Everyone is too stupid to live without us directing and controlling their lives.

I've actually had a job that paid, in my opinion, too little. The solution was to get another job.

But the thing was, everyone at that job, said they loved it. Were they stupid? Or were they making a choice that the enjoyment of doing a job they liked, even for a lower wage than they could get elsewhere, was worth it?

Again, the leftist view is that people should not be allowed to make a choice, that they the wise sages of authoritarianism, do not approve of.

I sat my boss down, and had a talk with him about the pay, and he showed me that they couldn't increase their prices to the customer, in order to pay me more money, because their competition had similar pricing. If they raise prices, they would lose business, and that would mean I'd end up not earning much either way.

I agreed, and started looking for other employment, and I found a job, and quit. That's how that works.

The irony of the whole thing is, if employees would stop sitting around complaining they are victims, they could fix this whole thing.

If they simply got off their butts, and found alternative employment when they want to earn more, the act of them leaving those jobs, would drive up wages, by reducing availability of labor. I always go back to McDonald's in Norway. They have absolutely no McDs Union, and no minimum wage law, and the employees are paid a bit over $15/hr.

Why is McDonald's paying so much? Because the general public tends to learn skills, or get education, to move on from low wage jobs, to higher wage jobs. As a result, McDonald's has to pay more to keep employees.

The free-market system works, when people use it. When you sit on your butt, and cry "wah wah empolyers are greedy wah wah wah", the result is you stay poor.

It's also possible the other employees thought the wage was fair for their circumstances. That's something that a lot of wage talk ignores; everyone's circumstances are different. What is great pay for one person is lousy pay for another. Perception plays a big role in what we consider good pay. Perceptions that can include living circumstances, self-valuation of your skills and potential, ambition, etc.

A lot of people are stagnant in their jobs. My dad is an example. He worked for 20+ years for the phone company doing essentially the same work the whole time. Others are active in their careers. Being active means you are doing one or two things all the time:

a) You are looking for a job. (better than the one you have, or a first job period.)

b) You are working to improve your skills and/or knowledge. I'm not talking about just gaining experience from the work you do. I'm talking about an active plan of improvement. This means approaching your career as a project. You make plans, set goals, track progess. You have to hold yourself accountable to keep at it.

It is so easy to just fall into the grind of working. 9-5, go home. 9-5, repeat. When that happens you stagnate and unless you are extraordinarily lucky and an opportunity falls into your lap, you aren't going anywhere. My dad is an incredibly hard working man and one of the smartest people I know, but I know he regrets not being more active in directing his own career.

The main thing is conformity. We must all march in lockstep for the greater glory of the fatherland!

Sieg Heil! HEHEHE

How long was the work week under the Nazis?

I read somewhere that medieval workers had 5 day work weeks, Sunday being the Church day, and Monday being the sleep-off-Sunday-drinking day.

Plus in winter time, rarely anyone worked, except own interest at own pace.

Compare that to today's American stye bully-boy capitalism.

If they are being duped and they are not idiots, why are they being duped? Do you realize that your rant is just as much saying that EMPLOYEES are stupid for accepting crap wages as it is saying that EMPLOYERS are greedy for giving them?

Well, that basically is the view of the left. Everyone is too stupid to live without us directing and controlling their lives.

I've actually had a job that paid, in my opinion, too little. The solution was to get another job.

But the thing was, everyone at that job, said they loved it. Were they stupid? Or were they making a choice that the enjoyment of doing a job they liked, even for a lower wage than they could get elsewhere, was worth it?

Again, the leftist view is that people should not be allowed to make a choice, that they the wise sages of authoritarianism, do not approve of.

I sat my boss down, and had a talk with him about the pay, and he showed me that they couldn't increase their prices to the customer, in order to pay me more money, because their competition had similar pricing. If they raise prices, they would lose business, and that would mean I'd end up not earning much either way.

I agreed, and started looking for other employment, and I found a job, and quit. That's how that works.

The irony of the whole thing is, if employees would stop sitting around complaining they are victims, they could fix this whole thing.

If they simply got off their butts, and found alternative employment when they want to earn more, the act of them leaving those jobs, would drive up wages, by reducing availability of labor. I always go back to McDonald's in Norway. They have absolutely no McDs Union, and no minimum wage law, and the employees are paid a bit over $15/hr.

Why is McDonald's paying so much? Because the general public tends to learn skills, or get education, to move on from low wage jobs, to higher wage jobs. As a result, McDonald's has to pay more to keep employees.

The free-market system works, when people use it. When you sit on your butt, and cry "wah wah empolyers are greedy wah wah wah", the result is you stay poor.

It's also possible the other employees thought the wage was fair for their circumstances. That's something that a lot of wage talk ignores; everyone's circumstances are different. What is great pay for one person is lousy pay for another. Perception plays a big role in what we consider good pay. Perceptions that can include living circumstances, self-valuation of your skills and potential, ambition, etc.

A lot of people are stagnant in their jobs. My dad is an example. He worked for 20+ years for the phone company doing essentially the same work the whole time. Others are active in their careers. Being active means you are doing one or two things all the time:

a) You are looking for a job. (better than the one you have, or a first job period.)

b) You are working to improve your skills and/or knowledge. I'm not talking about just gaining experience from the work you do. I'm talking about an active plan of improvement. This means approaching your career as a project. You make plans, set goals, track progess. You have to hold yourself accountable to keep at it.

It is so easy to just fall into the grind of working. 9-5, go home. 9-5, repeat. When that happens you stagnate and unless you are extraordinarily lucky and an opportunity falls into your lap, you aren't going anywhere. My dad is an incredibly hard working man and one of the smartest people I know, but I know he regrets not being more active in directing his own career.

There was something that was instilled in people when they were young back in the day by their parents, and that was that you don't become a job jumper (especially in great local companies that would hire you on) and this was even though learning other things should have never stopped for you in your life. It was that you tried to be the best at what you did, and this no matter what you did or who you did it for back then, and within trust there of. Now just as so many have since testified to such as this in the past, where as they knew that it always paid off well for the employer, the employee and their families. People didn't have to run around like whores or prostitutes trying to find their perfect masters like they do these days or like it is being suggested more and more of them to do so today, and so what has happened since ? Now if you became a job jumper, then you were considered a risk that wasn't worth taking for a company once interviewed, and especially if being interviewed for a long term employee position that was always sought after big time back in the days of yester-year. Job stability meant American stability, and it still should mean that to this day.
Now you see that this was the norm back in the day, but now it's as if people have to became job jumping whores, and so they are being tuned into this way in so that they can be ready to dance for anyone and at anytime as their new pimps will pimp them out for a while or until another pimp takes them over shortly there after.

This is a grave risk for the employee and their families in many cases as we have seen, but not so much for the employer who wants these job jumping whores today more than anything. Yep that's what they want instead of stable individuals who will add to the future of their country, community, and their families as a long term company employee, just as it were back in the more normal days of America. If you think these days are normal, then I wish you could go back in time to see America at it's finest hours, and even though flawed it was still better than it is now for the companies and their employee's in what we see now a days.

Last edited:
Duped because they got caught in a trap that the employers had carefully layed out for them, and when the economy crashed it just set it all on fire even worse. Who generally has the power, and who doesn't in todays bull crap monopoly riddled America ? Think about all the excuses that were made justifying slavery back in the day, as I bet it was just as good if not better than what you all are coming up with today.

Employees are too stupid to see a trap, and once caught in it are too stupid to leave.
Do you actually believe this, or are you just projecting your own experiences?
Stupidity is what is being bred today, and who is breeding these incompetents or low information voters that Rush and the gang like to refer to them as ? I mean where on earth did the low information voter come from ? What are they a product of ? I know I know that you will say that they are the dependents of the democrats and their policies for free stuff yada yada yada, but what about the workers who work so hard, but aren't able to chase after the American dream anymore ? I ask now from whence do they come in from ? Oh that's right they are ignored as best as possible when they speak, because the picking and choosing of the biggest so called branded losers must be focused on in the political debates in which keep raging on and on and on these days.

Duped because they got caught in a trap that the employers had carefully layed out for them, and when the economy crashed it just set it all on fire even worse. Who generally has the power, and who doesn't in todays bull crap monopoly riddled America ? Think about all the excuses that were made justifying slavery back in the day, as I bet it was just as good if not better than what you all are coming up with today.

Employees are too stupid to see a trap, and once caught in it are too stupid to leave.
Stupidity is what is being bred today, and who is breeding these incompetents or low information voters that Rush and the gang like to refer to them as ? I mean where on earth did the low information voter come from ? What are they a product of ? I know I know that you will say that they are the dependents of the democrats and their policies for free stuff yada yada yada, but what about the workers who work so hard, but aren't able to chase after the American dream anymore ? I ask now from whence do they come in from ? Oh that's right they are ignored as best as possible when they speak, because the picking and choosing of the biggest so called branded losers must be focused on in the political debates in which keep raging on and on and on these days.

Huh?

So your position is that workers are too stupid to know what's good for them and need government? I think you are projecting here.
Have you ever met someone who says "I'm getting screwed in my job but Im too stupid to do anything about it? No, didnt think so.

So your position is that workers are too stupid to know what's good for them and need government? I think you are projecting here.
Have you ever met someone who says "I'm getting screwed in my job but Im too stupid to do anything about it? No, didnt think so.
Either to stupid, or in some cases non-union, and/or in other cases hindered by mobility problems, or they were to illegal to do something about it. I've seen it all, and I've had sympathy for all, but yet it's all depending.

Either to stupid, or in some cases non-union, and/or in other cases hindered by mobility problems, or they were to illegal to do something about it. I've seen it all, and I've had sympathy for all, but yet it's all depending.
You didnt see any of those things. You saw people who had the best situation they were likely to get but were still unhappy with some aspect.

You know I'm wondering and maybe I have it wrong.

2 people

person 1 makes 100$ a day
person 2 makes 1,000$ a day

Lets say you decide you will pay... er force business's to pay person 1 10$ more a day... Whelp, you have to pay the 1,000$ a day person 100$ more a day to be fair by %.... While I understand this logical scenario can't exists in the mindless progressive welfare group of bitching babies (because one would be *too* well off, unless they are a Democrat).. Just pretend one person makes 85$ a day and the other makes 190$ a day. It would DESTORY an employer to give people more money for less time if they make any real money.

You are Libertarians so I'll be easy on you and tell you that this scenario already exists, only backwards. The average CEO is paid 331 times as much as the worker. 774 times as much as a minimum wage worker. Do you think that a CEO works 774 times harder at work? Or have you figured out that Capitalism relies on convincing people that they need to work for less. If you haven't figured out that Wal-Mart and McDonalds could be paying their team more by now, you are bias and will never learn. (Note, this doesn't mean we should raise minimum wage, just means Corporations should see workers as part of the team that earn their profit.)

Your comment is funny. You call him stupid but then state that you have seen the situation...You know the word "stupid" doesn't win debates about politics correct?

2 people

Lets say you decide you will pay... er force business's to pay person 1 10$ more a day... Whelp, you have to pay the 1,000$ a day person 100$ more a day to be fair by %.... While I understand this logical scenario can't exists in the mindless progressive welfare group of bitching babies (because one would be *too* well off, unless they are a Democrat).. Just pretend one person makes 85$ a day and the other makes 190$ a day. It would DESTORY an employer to give people more money for less time if they make any real money.

You are Libertarians so I'll be easy on you and tell you that this scenario already exists, only backwards. The average CEO is paid 331 times as much as the worker. 774 times as much as a minimum wage worker. Do you think that a CEO works 774 times harder at work? Or have you figured out that Capitalism relies on convincing people that they need to work for less. If you haven't figured out that Wal-Mart and McDonalds could be paying their team more by now, you are bias and will never learn. (Note, this doesn't mean we should raise minimum wage, just means Corporations should see workers as part of the team that earn their profit.)

It doesnt matter how hard someone works. Roofers probably work harder than almost anyone else out there. ANd while they make decent money, they certainly don't make what the inventor of the iPhone makes.

Your comment is funny. You call him stupid but then state that you have seen the situation...You know the word "stupid" doesn't win debates about politics correct?
No I wasn't saying that he was to stupid, but rather what I was saying is that some people are to stupid to realize when they are being duped, and that I have sympathy for them who are like this. Naive is a more appropriate word. I apologize for using the word stupid at all.

Last edited:

2 people

It doesnt matter how hard someone works. Roofers probably work harder than almost anyone else out there. ANd while they make decent money, they certainly don't make what the inventor of the iPhone makes.
No one is saying that it should be that way either, but what they should be making is what that specific market will afford them to make at the structured pay grades in which they graduate to as they work there, and that they are not to be exploited by their owner who may instruct the management team to pay them as little as possible if it be the case.

You didnt see any of those things. You saw people who had the best situation they were likely to get but were still unhappy with some aspect.
Wow, now you know what I saw in my life, yet you know me not or what I saw in my life. That's an interesting statement by you, even bordering on desperation maybe?

Huh?

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Huh?

Glad I wasn't the only one.
Now rabbi started the stupidity stuff, and I got drawn into it, but really people aren't stupid at all. They just have different upbringing's that other people take advantage of or they are born with a condition that people try and take advantage of. It's liken to a creature one may come upon in the woods, and the person either see's the creature as something to abuse or exploit or they see it as one of God's creatures in which they are to respect and keep safe, otherwise if it is the case where they are faced with that choice they might have to make in such a case. I wonder which one the rabbi is or what would he do ?

2 people

The daughter went into Little Caesars Pizza, and she encountered a bad employee that she figured either didn't want to be there or her corp was just hiring the cheapest person they could find to work that counter is what she figured might be the case. Anyway this person caused the franchise to lose a customer, and no telling how many others were lost as well. Next my wife went there to get the grand daughter a pizza, and she encountered this same person working. The same attitude was present, and the same result came afterwards where as the wife or daughter will not go back there until this person is gone from there.

I can't help but wonder though, if the worker is there because she is cheap help (not a part of the team), and so the corp figures that they can get by with her (or) if she is just bad and they haven't figured her out yet. We are going to report her, so we shall see what happens next. Then the truth will or might be known if they keep her around or not.

2 people

The daughter went into Little Caesars Pizza, and she encountered a bad employee that she figured either didn't want to be there or her corp was just hiring the cheapest person they could find to work that counter is what she figured might be the case. Anyway this person caused the franchise to lose a customer, and no telling how many others were lost as well. Next my wife went there to get the grand daughter a pizza, and she encountered this same person working. The same attitude was present, and the same result came afterwards where as the wife or daughter will not go back there until this person is gone from there.

I can't help but wonder though, if the worker is there because she is cheap help (not a part of the team), and so the corp figures that they can get by with her (or) if she is just bad and they haven't figured her out yet. We are going to report her, so we shall see what happens next. Then the truth will or might be known if they keep her around or not.

That isn't a very progressive attitude. What right do you have to report her for not meeting your standards? Doesn't she deserve a job despite her attitude?

(please note that I do not actually support the above.)

2 people

I have that issue with almost every government employee I come in contact with, however, I have no choice but to work with them as they are a monopoly and most the workers are there to collect a paycheck, nothing else.

Forum List

Back