The 20 Most Difficult Languages in the World to Learn

There is no more or less difficult language to learn. It is always a relative matter involving a great variety of factors.
You've once again mastered the language of talking out your ass.
rqefdcZ.gif

What do you mean? What I posted is true.
Spanish is not as difficult to learn as Mandarin regardless of any factors.

You are incorrect, and if you bothered to think about it for a minute, you’d see that for yourself.

There is no more or less difficult language to learn. It is always a relative matter involving a great variety of factors.
rqefdcZ.gif

You are incorrect, and if you bothered to think about it for a minute, you’d see that for yourself.
This tells me you didn't read the linked piece.

Thanks for playing.

rqefdcZ.gif

This tells me you didn't read the linked piece.

Thanks for playing.

The “linked piece” is pop-junk for people who don’t know anything more about linguistics than such trivia. You seem to fall into that group.

I was surprised Welch wasn't on the list. Not that I'm remotely knowledgeable on the subject. I've just heard others say it was very difficult.

I can speak Hawaiian ...."Aloha !" and "kaha nalu..." (surfing)

If you think picking up a little French or Spanish is difficult, then we’ve got some bad news for you: You probably shouldn’t try to learn Hungarian. Or Navajo. Or Thai, which contains an alphabet comprised of a staggering 44 consonants and 32 different vowels. That’s right: Here we’ve compiled the hardest languages to learn on planet earth.

The article scrolls straight down ( not click-bait )

https://bestlifeonline.com/most-difficult-languages/

Its probably not nearly as difficult as they think. If your exposed to it, you can figure it out.

Here in America on the streets, its really useful to learn Spanish and Jive so you can speak to Latinos and African Americans. But if you just listen you will be talking Spanish "Hey, ese, wassup holmes" or Jive (aka Ebonics) "Yo muthafucka", like a native.

If you think picking up a little French or Spanish is difficult, then we’ve got some bad news for you: You probably shouldn’t try to learn Hungarian. Or Navajo. Or Thai, which contains an alphabet comprised of a staggering 44 consonants and 32 different vowels. That’s right: Here we’ve compiled the hardest languages to learn on planet earth.

Hah! I knew it. I speak 10 and 17.

English must be fading as the dominant US language. Just look at how many Democrats don't understand simple English these days.

Thank you Professor Chomsky.
Chomsky hasn't been a serious linguist for decades.
I can see how English would be difficult to learn, especially considering there are so many various synoyms and strange homonym spellings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synonym

Words that are spelled differently but sound the same | Learn English
English is not a difficult language grammatically, but spelling is due to the fact the alphabet was not designed for the sounds of English but of Latin. "Sh" is one of the most common sounds in English but we don't have a letter for it. It can be spelled by s,c,t,sc just off the top of my head.

Consider:
A Plan for the Improvement of Spelling in the English Language
By Mark Twain

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter “c” would be dropped to be replased either by “k” or “s”, and likewise “x” would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which “c” would be retained would be the “ch” formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform “w” spelling, so that “which” and “one” would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish “y” replasing it with “i” and iear 4 might fiks the “g/j” anomali wonse and for all.

Generally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeiniing voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez “c”, “y” and “x”—bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez —tu riplais “ch”, “sh”, and “th” rispektivili.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

Its probably not nearly as difficult as they think. If your exposed to it, you can figure it out.

Here in America on the streets, its really useful to learn Spanish and Jive so you can speak to Latinos and African Americans. But if you just listen you will be talking Spanish "Hey, ese, wassup holmes" or Jive (aka Ebonics) "Yo muthafucka", like a native.

“Jive”? Did you time-travel here from the 70s?

Learning a language is much easier if you know a related language, but certainly some languages are more difficult than others.

It’s relative, as I said.
No, you said there were no more or less difficult languages to learn.

Difficulty of grammar varies widely, English being one of the easier due to lack of inflection and cases, although the tense system can be a challenge. Alphabets, spelling and pronunciation are another matter.

I didn't think the article was that good. They had shown Chinese writing for Vietnamese, but modern Vietnamese is written with Latin characters, thus much easier than Chinese.

Article showed old Arabic script for Turkish, not current.

Also Mongolian is usually written in Cyrillic nowadays and I don't think simple generally phonetic alphabets make the languages that much harder.

I tried learning Basque before, it does have a few Spanish words (or rather of Spanish origin) , but very little to do with Spanish grammar. The structure is completely unlike Indo-European languages.

Last edited:
Learning a language is much easier if you know a related language, but certainly some languages are more difficult than others.

It’s relative, as I said.
No, you said there were no more or less difficult languages to learn.

....r.

That’s correct.

..., English being one of the easier .....

NO, it is not.
I don't think it's that hard, except for spelling which a lot of native speakers have trouble with as well.

Of course a lot of people might think their own first language is not hard. There are languages with complicated grammar, and languages with complicated spelling/writing.

NO, it is not.
I don't think it's that hard, except for spelling which a lot of native speakers have trouble with as well.

Of course a lot of people might think their own first language is not hard. There are languages with complicated grammar, and languages with complicated spelling/writing.
The point is we don't have a phonetic alphabet. We have one that is designed for Latin.

NO, it is not.

The point is we don't have a phonetic alphabet. We have one that is designed for Latin.

that is not the point, and is only partially accurate. That is understandable when you only have a partial understanding of the topic.

Forum List

Back