The 11 Differences Between Dating a European Man vs an American Man.

Americans are multi-cultural, and from all over the world. New York City is a life-style that comes with its own hustle and bustle ethos, and would be a terribly inaccurate subset for judging American males, as a whole.

My family is European as of only a couple of generations ago. American culture is world culture.

David-Gandy-European-American-Men-1050x700.jpg

I never thought that the cultural background of a dating prospect would make much of a difference when it came to relationships. However, since living in New York, I’ve had the opportunity to meet many different people from various backgrounds and it’s become clear that there are definite cultural norms specific to European men versus American men (especially New Yorkers). I’m not to judge that one is better than the other, and mind you, my observations are based on my own experiences as well as a group of women I’ve interviewed in the last two years. The below is a list of some of the themes and commonalities observed. Now, when I discuss the differences between European and American, I’m referring to a mindset.

You can very well be born in America but have a more “European” mindset and vice versa.

The 11 Differences Between Dating a European Man vs an American Man - JustMyTypeMag

Your sig by T. Sturgeon is applicable to this article.

Aw. Feel vulnerable? Got at?

Do not judge American men by New Yorkers. They....are an entirely different breed.

Secondly, there are some profoundly stupid American men on this forum who bear no resemblance to the fine men I know in real life. Granted we all let it "hang out" a little online sure. But still. Please also do not judge American men by the stupidity often witnessed here.

Americans are open and friendly. Community spirited; will rally round in an emergency, always ready to help. They are also more readable, visually articulate.

Whereas the square jawed robot Germans. You'd never know if they lusted after you, or not.

100% agree. I think my questions in Europe were often taken as nosiness and even rudeness, though I was only being "Midwest nice"--being genuinely curious about other people's lives. I mean not how much do you weigh, how much money to you make or anything like that, but questions about how long have you lived here, what do you do, etc--typical American fare.

I think the difference might have to do more with European women, rather than American males.

European women are sluttier than American women. So naturally European males being in Europe have more to chose from. Whereas American males only have a few to choose from. ;)
Oh come on you know American women are sluttier. No virgins at 18. Giving bjs at 15. Get real.

But I will agree with this. It is the woman’s fault. Guys do whatever works with women. If it didn’t work on women guys wouldn’t do it.

Need an example? It’s black womens fault black men wear their pants low and their underwear sticking out. If that shit didn’t work with the ladies they’d pull their pants up immediately

I was a virgin at 18. My daughter is a virgin and she's older than that, and no she isn't snowballing me, I would know. And she is a beautiful girl who cuts down cads the likes of which we see here from a mile away. She's had customer service jobs, you see, so she's had a lot of practice. I adore my girl. :5_1_12024:

Are some of these cads capable of being cads? Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :4_13_65:

One could be forgiven for thinking there was a testosterone overload here at times.

I never thought that the cultural background of a dating prospect would make much of a difference when it came to relationships. However, since living in New York, I’ve had the opportunity to meet many different people from various backgrounds and it’s become clear that there are definite cultural norms specific to European men versus American men (especially New Yorkers). I’m not to judge that one is better than the other, and mind you, my observations are based on my own experiences as well as a group of women I’ve interviewed in the last two years. The below is a list of some of the themes and commonalities observed. Now, when I discuss the differences between European and American, I’m referring to a mindset.

You can very well be born in America but have a more “European” mindset and vice versa.

The 11 Differences Between Dating a European Man vs an American Man - JustMyTypeMag

Do not judge American men by New Yorkers. They....are an entirely different breed.

Secondly, there are some profoundly stupid American men on this forum who bear no resemblance to the fine men I know in real life. Granted we all let it "hang out" a little online sure. But still. Please also do not judge American men by the stupidity often witnessed here.

Americans are open and friendly. Community spirited; will rally round in an emergency, always ready to help. They are also more readable, visually articulate.

Whereas the square jawed robot Germans. You'd never know if they lusted after you, or not.

100% agree. I think my questions in Europe were often taken as nosiness and even rudeness, though I was only being "Midwest nice"--being genuinely curious about other people's lives. I mean not how much do you weigh, how much money to you make or anything like that, but questions about how long have you lived here, what do you do, etc--typical American fare.

That's true. We misread each others' signals because of cultural differences and norms.

Americans are multi-cultural, and from all over the world. New York City is a life-style that comes with its own hustle and bustle ethos, and would be a terribly inaccurate subset for judging American males, as a whole.

My family is European as of only a couple of generations ago. American culture is world culture.

On a superficial and a commercial level.

Not on underlying layers.

The superficial and commercial level is what's incorrectly referred to as American culture by foreigners.

At home, most American families are FROM other parts of the world. Our food, not our fast food our home food, is from all over the world. Our traditions are from all over the world. Our values are from all over the world.

Our pop culture is copy catted....all over the world.

The superficial and commercial level is what's incorrectly referred to as American culture by foreigners.

At home, most American families are FROM other parts of the world. Our food, not our fast food our home food, is from all over the world. Our traditions are from all over the world. Our values are from all over the world.

Yes, that's true. But....I shan't try to explain. I live part of the time in US, and part of the time in Germany. Used to be Cyprus. Therefore can experience the deeper cultural mores.

First of all "New York Men", especially NYC "men" aren't indicative of "American Men". Much too metrosexual. Get out of the city, and you will meet "MEN".

Its a European born, leftist habit to want to use identity politics and group people into categories, and it's not a coherent idea to do it to a melting-pot of cultures.

Every type of human, maybe save for Island/Jungle tribes, exists in America.

We're not the beacon of the world because of our partisan in-fighting. It's because we ARE the world.

My Indian Doctor, Asian masseuse and Italian momma might agree.

Yes, that's true. But....I shan't try to explain. I live part of the time in US, and part of the time in Germany. Used to be Cyprus. Therefore can experience the deeper cultural mores.
Yeah like hairy moles..

Yeah like hairy moles..

You have some weird fetishes.

You must be a banjo player from the boonies. Grills squirrels on Sundays.

Our President spray tans and colors his hair. We have a whole subset of Americans, mostly from East coast big cities, that would consider this normal behavior. It's pretty frowned upon, conversely, by the men who are a bit more brute, and less posh.

Two different cultural norms there, in terms of personal up-keep, same Country.

Nah. Just another slam at America by a member of the failing European state.

I would say after a couple of generations most American families become more American and less whatever culture they came from. Especially in generations past, and depending on where they're from. I grew up expressly American. On one side English heritage; the other side German, but this mattered not a whit. Just a pure American upbringing. We have a culture and make no mistake about that.

When someone dies from the Italian side of my family, the wake has lines that are hundreds long and there's a big food-gathering afterward.

My best friend's family just has these little meetings, and seeks to keep things very private & respectable.

Two different cultural norms, same Country. Same area, even.

My Cousin Lynn wakes up every day and sits on a porch over-looking her pond before she goes down her hill to feed all of her animals.

My gram warms her car up in her paved driveway and tries to get to the bakery in the morning for the freshest bread.

American culture is not a megalyth. It's every color and every shade of everything.

I hold doors, and say please and thank you. This guy on my basketball team is a complete prick, and doesnt stop engaging his cell phone when hes on the bench on the sidelines. Other guys think thats rude.

There does seem to be amiss with some, not all American men. Gun fetishes, woman-hatred, no manners, domineering, swearing, pushing weird "religious" shit on people, joining "militia gangs. Again, this is NOT all American men. There are still American men who are well-mannered, civilized people, NOT people who chant "lock her up" and feed pigs while "praying" to "god."

I would say after a couple of generations most American families become more American and less whatever culture they came from. Especially in generations past, and depending on where they're from. I grew up expressly American. On one side English heritage; the other side German, but this mattered not a whit. Just a pure American upbringing. We have a culture and make no mistake about that.
There's certain things that come with the American way of life, thats for sure.

In my experience, culturally anyway, the foods, holidays & traditions seem to maintain the influence of the family's roots.

That can get eroded over time, depending on the fabric of the family and how they decide to keep up with things or not.

After being sport, food and media-centric ~ Americans seem pretty diverse to me.

There's certain things that come with the American way of life, thats for sure.

In my experience, culturally anyway, the foods, holidays & traditions seem to maintain the influence of the family's roots.

That can get eroded over time, depending on the fabric of the family and how they decide to keep up with things or not.

After being sport, food and media-centric ~ Americans seem pretty diverse to me.

There's still a thread that connects them.

Perhaps I, as an outsider, can observe this.

Forum List

Back