Thanksgiving in February

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
So,i wanted to tell you guys what I did last Sunday.
I bought a whole chicken. About 4.5 pds. I made some simple stuffing with a few herbs salt and pepper. I took two sticks and boudain and removed the skin. Lightly fried it so it would crumble. I mixed the sausage with the stuffing and stuffed the chicken with it.
I made a cranberry glaze. Melted down a can of cranberry sauce added powder sugar, cayenne and a bit fo water.
I poured a bit of glaze into the chicken.
Rubbed the chicken down with salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne. I grilled it on low indirect heat for about 2 hours or so. Just a kiss of peach tree wood smoke. Ten minutes before it was done, I covered it in the glaze.
It was fucking amazing. It was cooked perfectly and probably the juiciest chicken I ever ate! And beautiful as well.
Thinking about doing it again this weekend with peaches or dark cherries.
Pics coming

image.jpg
image.jpg

The sweet and hot was perfect. Cranberry and cayenne are like peas and carrots.

I love hot and sweet together.
Should I try peach or cherry next?

Cherry. I make a cherry glaze sometimes for chicken, and it is awesome! Use red onions with it too. They taste really good with the sweetness of the cherries.
How do you make the glaze?

I have a recipe posted around here somewhere. Let me look for it.

Cherry. I make a cherry glaze sometimes for chicken, and it is awesome! Use red onions with it too. They taste really good with the sweetness of the cherries.

Well, I can't find the one I posted. It's somewhere in the food section. This one is really similar to mine though, except I add red pepper flakes to make it more spicy and I use a red onion. Glaze your chicken with it and use it as dipping sauce too. :)

Ingredients
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon Liquid Smoke, optional
Add to Shopping List
Nutritional Facts

3 tablespoon: 74 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.

Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until cherries are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.

Well, I can't find the one I posted. It's somewhere in the food section. This one is really similar to mine though, except I add red pepper flakes to make it more spicy and I use a red onion. Glaze your chicken with it and use it as dipping sauce too. :)

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Add to Shopping List
Nutritional Facts

3 tablespoon: 74 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.

Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until cherries are tender and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
I think I will try this without the liquid smoke(I hate that crap. I will use fruit tree wood). Thank you!

Dishy Dapper

This is great. There needs to be more cranberry recipes. Cranberries are waiting to be picked and used as a culinary treasure.

Thanksgiving in February is terrific plan. How about Thanksgiving in June? Cold turkey and cranberry pie (mmmm).

Thanks for sharing!

Since we're being festive, I'd like to add a wish for a happy St. Patty's day (upcoming) which is always made sweeter with Oh Ryan's Irish Potatoes (found in most supermarkets).

By the way, turkey goes nicely with Pina Colada.

ryani.jpg

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Add to Shopping List
Nutritional Facts

Directions
I think I will try this without the liquid smoke(I hate that crap. I will use fruit tree wood). Thank you!

How will use wood? Are you going to make it on your outdoor grill?

Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Add to Shopping List
Nutritional Facts

Directions

How will use wood? Are you going to make it on your outdoor grill?
I will just smoke it when I apply the glaze to the chicken. Ill smoke it a little in the beginning and a touch of it at the end for the glaze.

TNHarley

The worst part about making the cherry glaze is pitting all the cherries. It is pretty messy and time consuming work! If you find a trick to getting it done faster, then I would appreciate a share. :)
Buy pitted cherries..

Do they sell them unless they come in a can or frozen? I think its better to use fresh cherries. The canned ones just don't have the same nice color and flavor.

TNHarley

The worst part about making the cherry glaze is pitting all the cherries. It is pretty messy and time consuming work! If you find a trick to getting it done faster, then I would appreciate a share. :)
Buy pitted cherries..

Do they sell them unless they come in a can or frozen? I think its better to use fresh cherries. The canned ones just don't have the same nice color and flavor.
There is one brand, but way overpriced..

Forum List

Back